leaking hot water heater

PEIFAMILY

A few months ago we noticed our surburban hot water heater had a trickle of water inside the propane canister. I saw a small pinhole. I put a small screw in it and then put some JB weld over it as a temporary fix until we get back to the USA. Well, started leaking again.

The anode rod was good when I moved in June to a new campground, but by August I had a leak, checked the rod then and it was almost 99% gone. I was told afterwards that this one campground had hard water issues. Put a new rod in and its still good.

How do I find out what model it is? I am guessing a 10 gallon.. Can the "tank" be bought seperate as my electronics and gas stuff is working good.. just a darn leak.

I know I need to replace the tank, but if I can replace just the water tank without the electrics, it would hopefully be less painful to the pocket book..

Thanks

danemayer

Hi PEIFAMILY,

You probably have a Suburban unit and with the outside cover removed, there's should be a label on the lower right-hand corner that has model # information.

I'm not positive, but I don't think Suburban sells the tank only as a replacement part.

What may be good news is that while the entire water heater has a 2 year warranty from Suburban, the tank has a 3 year warranty against leaks and if you're in warranty, they replace the water heater (parts only - no labor).

Even if you're a bit out of warranty, the tank is supposed to last a long time and it's possible they might still cover replacement. It doesn't cost anything to ask. You can call Suburban at 423-775-2131.

The possible bad news is that Suburban has some warranty exclusions, including this one: "Operating the water heater without proper anode protection will decrease tank life and will void your warranty on the tank."

You should call Suburban. Like I said, it doesn't cost anything to ask.