Leaking water supply line connections

DTucker

Anyone have the water supply lines that are behind the fresh water inlet and behind the front storage wall leak? Many of the lines leak at the fittings and it seems to be a different one on every trip I take. If so, how/what did you do to replace or repair? The plastic tubing may have expanded several years ago during a freeze and are now a little loose.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You may just need to tighten the PEX clamps on all the fittings.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The red and blue PEX tubing typically survives freezing. But the plastic fittings aren't as likely to survive and the crimp rings could be expanded and loosened. You might need to pick up a PEX tool and some crimp rings and new fittings to redo connections that are leaking.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're going to replace the plastic PEX fittings, get the brass ones. The opening in them is larger than the molded plastic ones and will restrict flow less. Not a bad idea to have a small supply of fittings, clamp or cinch rings, and the tools to work with PEX. Even a short length of 1/2" PEX tubing. Never know when you might need to make a repair in the field or help a neighbor.

JMP

I just spent a couple of days replacing a couple of 1/2" fittings behind the valve area. Know that i have experienced these lines connect, and spare parts i need to carry, i will getting a small supply of fittings, clamp or screw rings, and some extra 1/2" PEX tubing.

DTucker

If you're going to replace the plastic PEX fittings, get the brass ones. The opening in them is larger than the molded plastic ones and will restrict flow less. Not a bad idea to have a small supply of fittings, clamp or cinch rings, and the tools to work with PEX. Even a short length of 1/2" PEX tubing. Never know when you might need to make a repair in the field or help a neighbor.

Thanks John,
Good idea to get the brass fittings. The OEM plastic ones have very small barbs and seem to crack or crush easily.

wdk450

You might want to take a look at the Sharkbite (brand) PEX fittings that they stock at Home Depot stores and other hardware stores. These cost more, but need no crimping. They are considered to be so reliable and leak resistant that they are certified by the plumbing certification agencies/code groups to be able to be installed behind stick and brick building walls.

I purchased PEX plyers from Amazon for ~$27, much less than HD or L.
I did so after a plumbing problem, struggling with the clamps and being rescued by a friend. I too keep a stash of tubing, fittings, and clamps. Now I am prepared!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk