Led light bulbs

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There are different "temperatures" of LED lights out there. I replaced my three recessed lights over the sofa and they are a brighter white than the original lamps. TravelTigers tried one of my spares at the rally and decided it was too bright for them and then they found a cooler (more yellow?) version on line. Maybe Erika will chime in with her experience.

See post 15!

The keys to look at are Kelvin scale for color (yellow light is lower on the scale than bright white or daylight) and lumens, which is how much light is emitted.

I bought some 1141 led bulbs that were 300 lumens and 3500k, so that's what I strived to find in other bulb styles.

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

nvwll

I am currently testing 2 led G4 bulbs - 3500 kelvin. LED's are not recommended for interior applications if they are installed in "enclosed" fixtures (too much heat buildup). One unit has all ready degraded in light output, the other appears to be holding steady, but it has been less than 2 months installed. If you do retrofit, and experience early failure, there is generally a 1 year warranty - as long as you do not admit to the enclosed fixture. Be warned that the vendor will clamp down on excessive defective claims.

ICamel

John:
Thank you, that is it. I just ordered a set. I discovered that my bulb cover had melted through from the OEM bulb. I think that I will cut a piece of clear Lexan to replace the cover. Most likely have to use the existing cover as a holder, but cut out the interior part. Should make for good lighting over the cooktop.
This is what I put in the stove vent light. Much brighter than the silvered OEM 912 bulb, yet not blindingly so.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-912-T10-...Bulb-Xenon-White-Parking-Backup-/280918649294

danemayer

LED's are not recommended for interior applications if they are installed in "enclosed" fixtures (too much heat buildup).
I'm surprised to hear this. The LEDs I've installed all produce much, much, much less heat than the halogen bulbs that I removed. The fixtures used to be quite hot and are now pretty cool. The main reason I changed them out was to reduce the heat load during the summer.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I used my infrared thermometer on an LED lamp and an 1141 bulb fixture. The 1141 was at least 40 deg. hotter. If the light has been for a while, you don't want to touch the lens. The lens over the LED's are barely warm to the touch.

The 1141's run at 18 watts. The LED's are much less.

caissiel

I used my infrared thermometer on an LED lamp and an 1141 bulb fixture. The 1141 was at least 40 deg. hotter. If the light has been for a while, you don't want to touch the lens. The lens over the LED's are barely warm to the touch.

The 1141's run at 18 watts. The LED's are much less.

Been using 1156 / 23-5050 SMD led's for one year in my enclosed light fixtures with no failures. They are on much longer because they are so cheaper to run. We usually never bother turning lights of. We replaced all 1141 bulbs with 1156 equivalent units as bright or brighter.

Sent from my U8666-51 using Tapatalk 2