Leveling Adjustment For Front Landing Gear -Key Largo

MaxOwner

Forgot to mention about last time out.......

When I would raise or lower gear to get front level (front to back....) one jack would start before the other. When going up or down. What I found when I played with it going up, the drivers side would travel first. When I lowered, the same would happen. Making the drivers side be low for the first second of travel.

Once again, the wheels are level side to side.

TedS

On my Bighorn, the leg closest to the hydraulic pump, the passenger side, extends first. It moves until it touches the ground, then the driver's side leg extends until it touches the ground. Then both extend together to lift. The hydraulic hose for the leg closest to the pump is the shorter of the two. There is less flow resistance in the shorter hose and that leg extends first.

If your hydraulic pump is on the passenger side, that leg should extend first. If the hydraulic pump is on the passenger side, that leg should extend first. If your passenger side leg is farthest from the pump, check the hose to the passenger side leg for any pinching which would create unnecessary resistance to flow and may upset the proper working of the legs.

After retracting the legs to where the trailer load is carried by your truck, the leg closest to the hydraulic pump will retract the rest of the way first, followed by the second leg.

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Maxowner - standard on all hydraulic cylinders - when hydraulic pressure is applied to multiple hydraulic cylinders one cylinder will travel faster than the others simply due to internal friction in the cylinder when not under a load. When loaded both/all cylinders will travel together because the friction drag is minimal compared to the load being applied. As far as the front of the trailer "looking unlevel" it should not be a problem the cylinders will equal out to lift together equally, even when has to stretch farther to start the loading.

MaxOwner

Thanx guys.

The hydraulics are on the drivers side of the trailer.

But my problem still seems to be that things don't consistantly level up when the wheels are level. Meaning not every time we set up.

jimtoo

I do not have a unit like this, but do a lot of reading.... I have not seen anyplace yet where the auto level part of the system has been calibrated. Doesn't the Key Largo have the 4 jack system with auto level?

TomMar

Retired Texas-South Chapter Leader
Maxowner - My KL's original set-up was not calibrated correctly. I had to manually (from the control panel) drive the jacks until the rig was level, being confirmed with a 4' level on the floor. After I reset it life was good. PM me with your email and I'll look for the procedure to send you, or you can go to the Lippert site and download it from there. Let me know.

Re-reading your post - does your KL have the 4 point hydraulic legs and rear stabilizer?

Squatty

MaxOwner
I think I read where your system is composed of hydraulic jack pads in the front of your unit and "stabalizer" jacks at the rear. If this is correct, then you can ONLY level your unit front-to-rear using the hydraulic jack pads in the front. The rear "stabalizer" jacks are just that - they stabalize the unit after it is leveled. So, when you pull into your campsite, check the side-to-side level before disconnecting the truck. You must level side-to-side using leveling blocks under the low-side wheels of the 5th wheel (i.e. 2"X6" wood or plastic leveller/ramps). Sometimes you have to raise the low side 4"-5" to achieve level. After you level it side-to-side using blocks under the wheels, lift the 5th wheel from the truck using the front hydraulic jacks, disconnect and move the truck. Then use the front hydraulic jacks to level the unit front-to-rear. I don't think it is a concern which jack cylinder deploys first or how much jack cylinder is showing, as long as they lift the unit from the truck and you can achieve front-to-rear level. Your unit should now be level.
To make it easier on me in this process, I use bubble type level indicators (available from most RV Supply Stores) mounted to the 5th wheel's driver's-side front (to verify side-to-side level) and driver's side (to verify front-to-rear level) of my 5th wheel so I can see level easily. Obviously, mount these after leveling the unit.
I sure hope this works for you!

MaxOwner

Tom; we only have hydraulic landing gear. NO self leveling system.

Squatty; what you have described is what I do. Even with the wheels level side to side, the front inconsistantly will not level up. When it doesn't level up side to side, we turn the mattress around so our heads face the passenger side of the trailer.

Squatty

MaxOwner - You say that the "wheels are level side to side". What about the floor of the unit. Did you verify the floor inside the door is level using your 4' carpenter's level before disconnecting the truck? Then you say "the front inconsistantly will not level up". I'm not sure what you are meaning. The only leveling of the front should be front to rear - the side to side should have already been taken care of with putting blocks of wood under the wheels.

MaxOwner

We started out using the floor for level. Then we started using the frame mount spare tire rack just behind the wheels.

Sometimes the front will level up side to side. Sometimes it doesn't. All while the wheels are level side to side. I have cut of some 2x10s and use under the tires to level up when needed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well, Ive read this entire thread and the only thing I can come up with is a reminder. Do not deploy the rear stabilizers until the trailer is leveled side to side, then front to rear.
If you deploy the rear stabilizers first, you might be causing the problem with the front being inconsistently level.
Otherwise, like Squatty, I'm at a loss.

MaxOwner

Thanx guys.

Rear electric stabilizers are the last thing to go down when setting up.

I have spent an hour or two with my head stuck in the front compartment looking at things. There appears to be no flow controls and any kind of adjustment system. Gona try another dealer that has a more experienced tech to look at things.

I have also seen other Heartland made trailers with hydraulic landing gear where it would seem the drivers side is sitting low. Some have been tough to tell because it looked like the wheels where off for being level.

MaxOwner

No I have not due to carpet there. Don't think length of level will fit in shelf in closet.

There have been times where I thought level was close. Crawled into bed and within 10-15 minutes, I have a major head ache developing. This is the time where bed gets turned around.

jnbhobe

No I have not due to carpet there. Don't think length of level will fit in shelf in closet.

There have been times where I thought level was close. Crawled into bed and within 10-15 minutes, I have a major head ache developing. This is the time where bed gets turned around.

just put it on the carpet beside the bed it will still work.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK, More food for thought. There are solenoids on the hydraulics that route the flow from landing gear to slide rams, depending of course, on which switch is being pushed. I wonder if there could be an issue with one or more of these solenoids acting up. At this point I'm grabbing at straws.

porthole

Retired
Ray, no one can figure out what he is trying and how the trailer is reacting. The hydraulics are self equalizing and unless they are installed at differnet heights and he is hitting the ram travel limit, it is diffuclut o understand what is happening. I would think by now, any air in the system should have been bled off.

I keep suggesting to video his procedure but ......................