Lift system surprise

danemayer

I'll lift the rear until the wheels are almost off the ground, then lift a bit more on the side that needs to have the wheel changed. But I keep an eye on the shackle links as well. The times I've had them flip, the wheels were significantly off the ground.

If it looks like the shackles are going horizontal before the wheel comes off, use the bottle jack under where the suspension parts are clamped to the axle. You won't need to lift much. Don't lift the axle directly - it's too easy to damage it. Some care is required to ensure you have a stable situation.

Piperflyer

I'll lift the rear until the wheels are almost off the ground, then lift a bit more on the side that needs to have the wheel changed. But I keep an eye on the shackle links as well. The times I've had them flip, the wheels were significantly off the ground.

If it looks like the shackles are going horizontal before the wheel comes off, use the bottle jack under where the suspension parts are clamped to the axle. You won't need to lift much. Don't lift the axle directly - it's too easy to damage it. Some care is required to ensure you have a stable situation.

Better read what Lippert recommends about lifting the wheels off the ground with the jacks

danemayer

Better read what Lippert recommends about lifting the wheels off the ground with the jacks

I know that Lippert will say to use a jack to lift the frame. I'm pretty sure Lippert's engineers and lawyers aren't in complete agreement on the subject. But since the lawyers approve the publications, they have the last word.

Is it safer to use a $40 jack from Northern Tool to lift the frame, or to use the Lippert Level Up jacks? My money's on the level up. But Lippert doesn't want any liability and has none if you use the $40 jack.

BigGuy82

I know that Lippert will say to use a jack to lift the frame. I'm pretty sure Lippert's engineers and lawyers aren't in complete agreement on the subject. But since the lawyers approve the publications, they have the last word.

Is it safer to use a $40 jack from Northern Tool to lift the frame, or to use the Lippert Level Up jacks? My money's on the level up. But Lippert doesn't want any liability and has none if you use the $40 jack.

I heard something interesting from a guy who really knows this stuff. Without mentioning names, he's installed a lot of stuff on a lot of your RV's. He said that the Level Up system can support 40,000 lbs. He also said that it is perfectly safe to jack up the rig with it.

Of course Lippert won't support this procedure. They have lawyers like every other corporation. If you do this, it's at your risk even though it may be a small one. If I experience the unpleasantness of a flat, Ill do what I always do - call for Geico Roadside Assistance. If for some reason that's not viable, I'll use the level up with a bottle jack.

UPDATE: I meant "your" as many member's RV's - not Dan's

Bones

Honestly if I had level up on my rig I would just use that and not even bother to hook up my truck

Bones

So you've got auto level on your truck but not on your fiver?

Yeah. I do. The truck is my second one since owning the camper. But what I meant is I wouldn't bother hooking up a truck to keep the rig stable when working on the tires. You already have a stable setup with level up on the rig.

BigGuy82

Yeah. I do. The truck is my second one since owning the camper. But what I meant is I wouldn't bother hooking up a truck to keep the rig stable when working on the tires. You already have a stable setup with level up on the rig.

Oh - got it. Probably would not be a good idea to leave it hooked up anyway - then you've got the trailer lifting the truck While the Level Up is capable of doing that, I'm not so sure that is good for the frame neck (or whatever it's called) on the coach.

avvidclif

I heard something interesting from a guy who really knows this stuff. He said that the Level Up system can support 40,000 lbs. He also said that it is perfectly safe to jack up the rig with it.

Add it up, the front landing gear are rated 14,000 ea and the 4 rears are 8,000 ea. Straight from the current parts list. That 15-20k RV is nothing.

danemayer

Honestly if I had level up on my rig I would just use that and not even bother to hook up my truck

One good reason to be hitched up when working with a wheel removed is that the truck provides some stability to keep the trailer from moving front-to-rear.

Another good reason is that if the hydraulics were to completely fail (very, very unlikely that all jacks would release) the front of the trailer would still be supported by the truck and the back would be supported by 3 of the 4 wheels.

That said, when in the storage lot, I've done work on the trailer where I've backed the truck up so the pin is sitting over the hitch, but not actually hitched up - the idea being that the truck would catch a dropping pin.

BigGuy82

One good reason to be hitched up when working with a wheel removed is that the truck provides some stability to keep the trailer from moving front-to-rear.

Another good reason is that if the hydraulics were to completely fail (very, very unlikely that all jacks would release) the front of the trailer would still be supported by the truck and the back would be supported by 3 of the 4 wheels.

That said, when in the storage lot, I've done work on the trailer where I've backed the truck up so the pin is sitting over the hitch, but not actually hitched up - the idea being that the truck would catch a dropping pin.

What about the pin lifting up the truck by the hitch. Not sure the fiver frame is designed to do that. So, if I'm lifting the coach with the Level Ups, that's puuting a lot of pressure on the frame neck, no?

danemayer

What about the pin lifting up the truck by the hitch. Not sure the fiver frame is designed to do that. So, if I'm lifting the coach with the Level Ups, that's puuting a lot of pressure on the frame neck, no?

If you're hitched up, you should never press the AUTO button because the coach could lift the truck. Damage? Not clear what might get damaged first or how far you'd have to lift to cause damage.

I've manually leveled a number of times while hitched up. Sometimes the pin has to be raised to get the coach level and the truck lifts several inches quite easily as the weight is unloaded. But I stop long before the truck comes off the ground.

If you're on a reasonably level surface, and are hitched up, the pin won't move appreciably by extending the rear jacks.

Bones

I use jack stands.

0412160944.jpg0412160943a.jpg

If that trailer decides to go over I don't want it to take my truck with it.

Bones

We were talking about changing a tire - probably on the side of the road. If I had all 4 wheels off at the same time, I'd take a different approach too.
Mannnnn.:cool: I must have missed something. I thought we were still talking about lifting the trailer in the storage lot. ha. Then yes I would leave it hooked up and use my Anderson trailer jack

BigGuy82

We were talking about changing a tire - probably on the side of the road. If I had all 4 wheels off at the same time, I'd take a different approach too.

To me, it's starting to get academic. The guy in the wrecker that Geico sends out will likely have one of those heavy duty 80 ton air controlled hydraulic jacks and an impact wrench. He'll know exactly what to do and likey be finished changing the tire before the missus and I finish lunch ... Once I give him a $20 tip, we'll be on our way. :cool:

It'll be a bigger problem finding replacement tires on short notice!