Lifting with Level Up

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I know Lippert frowns upon using the system to lift the tires off the ground, but I know it is very convenient to do when you need to change tires or check suspension parts. Now that I have the Level Up system, I want to know the proper way to do this.

-Do you have to lift all four tires at the same time or can you just lfft one side?
-Do you leave the truck attached when lifting? I would think it would be safer that way...
-What is the proper procedure using the keypad?

Bones

I know Lippert frowns upon using the system to lift the tires off the ground, but I know it is very convenient to do when you need to change tires or check suspension parts. Now that I have the Level Up system, I want to know the proper way to do this.

-Do you have to lift all four tires at the same time or can you just lfft one side?
-Do you leave the truck attached when lifting? I would think it would be safer that way...
-What is the proper procedure using the keypad?

I think having the truck connected when using the level up would be a bad idea. As long as you don't twist the frame I would say you lift the front first then the rear with the hydraulics.

jnbhobe

Can do two if you want, may have to lift both some if you run out of travel. Probably safest to hook up, but I don't always. Just jack stands. Toggle to manual, push enter and use left, right, or front, have to push retract to lower

OEFVET

Jamie,

I had a lengthy discussion about this with Lippert's service techs. The only reason Lippert frowns on this is for the liability issue. The service techs all agreed that the system is actually designed to lift tires off the ground. If you are traveling and need to change a flat, then keeping it connected to the TV is safest. As jnbhobe said, you toggle to manual mode then lift either side to side or front to back. Either way do it in small increments until your desired height is reached.

pegmikef

At the Goshen orientation the briefers said the system was easily capable of the lifting, but emphasized the use of jack stands or other means of support. They also recommended being hooked up as was already mentioned earlier.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can't say much more than what has been said. I have done it several times now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Some Jamie's questions are some of the reasons why I offered to do a "jack" demo at the 2013 Goshen rally. Unfortunately the offer came across as something even I wouldn't go to.

One side off, both sides off, lift one then the other or all four - or which side first - does it matter?
Connected un-connected.... One way really better then the other? One way will get you max lift and one may not.

What about changing right side tires on a "cambered" road surface?
Should I use blocks or not?
What kind of blocks are OK?
What kind are not?

Ever think about it when your auto level is dancing and at times ends up with all 4 tires off the ground (or barely touching).
Are you connected to the truck then? How would being connected be any safer?

All food for thought and all are workable.

It has been brought up many times and many of us have gotten some of our info from "the horse's mouth", the guy who designed, engineered and built LevelUp.

Jim.Allison

I have done it 2 X. 1) stay connected 2) lift only the side you need to lift 3) lift until the tire is about 3/4 inch off the ground 4) remove only one wheel assembly at a time 5) Cambered road Shoulders present a problem use caution.

You can also use the system to support the load of the rig, and then use your TV jack to gently lift the axle high enough to remove a tire.

JWalker

Thanks everyone.

Question 1- Say I have Flat tire. Sitting on somewhat level ground. Only want to lift one side. Toggle to manual. Enter. Now, if I hit left or right button, will that extend all 3 jacks on the one side or do I have to hit the front button also.

Qustion 2- Want to lift all tires off the ground. Do I hit rear button and front button back and forth in small increments, to raise everything.

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie, all you need is the left and right button in either case.
If you are going to lift only one side off the ground you might have to lift the other side a bit as well. If it gets to far off from the other side you will get an error.

Peace
Dave

JWalker

Jamie, all you need is the left and right button in either case.
If you are going to lift only one side off the ground you might have to lift the other side a bit as well. If it gets to far off from the other side you will get an error.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave. That's what I needed to know.

porthole

Retired
if I hit left or right button, will that extend all 3 jacks on the one side

No, only the rear

do I have to hit the front button also.

Yes

You can use left right or rear. Using rear will activate all 4 rear jacks. The jacks are more then capble of easily lifitng the triailer. The pump is the limiting factor. If you try using the "rear" button the jacks will move, but very slowly, and not twice as slow. maybe 4 times slower.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
No, only the rear

Yes

You can use left right or rear. Using rear will activate all 4 rear jacks. The jacks are more then capble of easily lifitng the triailer. The pump is the limiting factor. If you try using the "rear" button the jacks will move, but very slowly, and not twice as slow. maybe 4 times slower.
Hmm, I guess I have to check it out. Thought mine lifted all three.
May have given Jamie incorrect information.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Well I just went out and played around with it.
If the 4 rear jacks are grounded and there is pressure on them the front legs move with the rears. Up and down.
If the rears come off the ground then the front legs will stop moving.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Ha ha - made me look .....

OK, I just went out and tried it. Starting with the tailer off the truck and "auto leveled".
In the manual mode, operating only the rear jacks, up or down, the front jacks did not move, even after the frame started to twist (what you see if you run all the jacks until they all bottom out).

Retracted the rear all the way, "auto-leveled" and repeated with the same results.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think the difference might be that I would get the tire off the ground using the left or right button, not the front or rear.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Sometimes I'm glad I have the original 4 point level-up. Fronts lift the front and backs lift the back. No middle to worry about. :rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
I think the difference might be that I would get the tire off the ground using the left or right button, not the front or rear.

For a roadside tire change there may be times only 2 jacks are needed and times all six may be needed.

I didn't try left OR right before, just REAR.
When I go back out will give it another go.