Limited outside power

reddogg

I am new to this group. I appreciate the acceptance and all assistance. I do have an electrical problem. I have a 2013 Trailrunner 25 RL. I first noticed my problems when my radio wasn't working, blown fuse. Now, I have outside power to all my outlets, but nothing else. When my battery is connected, everything works. Battery drains quick. Battery has been connected correct too. I noticed while troubleshooting, I had 2 blown 40 AMP fuses, replaced, no luck restoring all power. Where do I start to troubleshoot next ? Thanks you for any and all assistance.

danemayer

Hi reddogg,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

I'm having a little trouble following your problem description. But to state it a little differently, your 120 V AC outlets are working when plugged into shore power. And if your battery is connected and has a good charge, your interior lights, thermostat, refrigerator, furnace, all work. But your battery runs down, even though the trailer is plugged into shore power.

Sounds like your Power Converter (converts 120V AC into 12V DC) is not working. The Power Converter keeps the battery charged and if the battery is disconnected, also provides 12V DC power to the lights, thermostat, refrigerator, etc.

I'm not clear on what 40 amp fuses you replaced. Were they on the Power Converter? If so, those are probably designed to protect against reverse polarity, caused by installing battery cables to the wrong terminals. I might be wrong, but I thought the Power Converter fuses were 30 amp.

We do have a 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide which might help you. Here's a link.

reddogg

Thanks for the quick response. My fuse panel has 2, 40 AMP (blown, replaced), and 10- 15 AMP. Does the battery have to be connected at all times? How do I check the power converter ? Thanks again..

olcoon

Yes the battery should be connected at all times. The power converter is plugged into a reptile and sometimes the plug works loose & needs to be plugged back in. I zip tied mine to prevent that. The power converter will be hidden it's usually near the fuse panel. You'll need a voltmeter yo check it. When you see it you'll see wiring going in & out check the input & output sides. JUST BE CAREFUL so you don't he's zapped!!!

danemayer

Thanks for the quick response. My fuse panel has 2, 40 AMP (blown, replaced), and 10- 15 AMP. Does the battery have to be connected at all times? How do I check the power converter ? Thanks again..
I'm guessing you may not be the original owner of this trailer. I suspect those 40 amp fuses are not the original fuse values. Usually there's nothing in the main fuse box that's over 20 amps. Do you know what those fuses power?

As for how to check the Power Converter, you can use diagnostic flowchart in the previously linked document.

You may need to get the entire 12V electrical system checked out by a qualified technician. Sounds like you may have multiple issues.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There are 3 - 30amp fuses on the power converter that could be blown causing the converter not to work. As a temporary fix you can hook a battery charger up to the battery to keep it charged until you get the converter working. Betcha the converter came unplugged.

reddogg

I bought it new 2 years ago, but I've never had to check or change any fuses. I'm glad you replied though. I'm going to contact the dealership and ask about replacing the converter and the fuses. The 2 fuses were off by them selves away from all the other 15 amp fuses.

- - - Updated - - -

​I finally found the converter. I didn't find a plug yet, just wires going to fuse panel. I'll do the battery charger until I fix it or find the fuses. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

I appreciate all the help. I chased the problem some, but limited since I'm out with it. I've learned a lot from your replies. I definitely appreciate them all.

reddogg

The 2 fuses I changed, were the 2-40 AMP, reverse battery fuses. Everything was working fine 4-5 hours after hooking everything up. Then my problem appeared. I know my battery was hooked correctly. I just appreciate the help. Thank you again

reddogg

Got it home today, I found battery had a bad cell. Replaced my battery. Everything worked great. But I still don't know if my converter might be bad yet. I ran out of time. But, can I check converter with house plugged into camper ?

mlpeloquin

I run my fifth wheel on 120V extension cord for a couple of days prior to (for lights and the refrigerator), and after we get back (for lights). It also allows the converter to keep the battery fully charged. Make sure that your home plug has a good ground connection.

donr827

If you do be sure high amp appliances are off like the a/c and water heater. Not enough available amps from a regular house receptacle. Maybe someone will drop in about any other problems with house receptacle .
Don

danemayer

Got it home today, I found battery had a bad cell. Replaced my battery. Everything worked great. But I still don't know if my converter might be bad yet. I ran out of time. But, can I check converter with house plugged into camper ?
If you take a voltage reading at the battery terminals, plugged into shore power with converter working, the reading should be between 13.2 and 13.6V. If you then unplug from shore power and take another voltage reading after about 15 minutes, voltage will be a bit lower - maybe 12.6 V.

If you read 12.6V or so both times, your converter is not working.

reddogg

I checked my new battery and power from converter to circuit board. I was reading 12.93. I didn't hear the converter doing anything. I'm tempted to buy a converter anyway and change it out myself. This has been a learning experience for me. Since I've never had to do any of this. I appreciate all the help.

jimtoo

Just a couple of questions... is the converter plugged in and are you sure the outlet for the converter has power? Also have you checked the fuses on the converter? I think some have fuses on the 12v output of the converter.

Jim M

reddogg

My converter, 8955, doesn't have a plug or fuses on it. The converter is wired to my fuse panel. I check power on the battery end and wires coming from converter, 12.9. I was told it could be battery, converter, or both. Battery was bad. Changed it. Everything works inside of camper now. But, I'm trying to determine if converter is bad too. I don't hear any buzzing or anything else. I was told it should read 13.8. It's not, so I'm assuming converter is bad. Maybe battery being new, I won't be able to tell until I use it for awhile. I don't know. I'm just thinking I'll change the converter now, before I'm somewhere were I can't, if it's bad.. This is all new to me. I've never had to worry about any of this before.

danemayer

Reddogg,

Here's a link to the manual for the WFCO 8955 converter. It does have a reverse polarity fuse - see page 4.

Also, the max value for the device fuses is stated as 30 amp.

And according to the manual, in Float Mode, which is the lowest output, you should see 13.2V. If less than 13.2V, you're probably reading battery output, not converter output.

reddogg

Well I finally had a chance to trouble shoot my camper with all the helpful information I received. I found a bad battery and converter. I replaced both. Everything is working great...