Lippert Era Suspension Upgrades

wdk450

Gang:
I am considering my options on getting a smoother trailer ride, and coming into a campground without drawers and cabinets open, and stuff off the counters on the floor (which can catch in slides). My unlimited cash dream has been either the MorRyde IS or TrailAir CenterPoint systems. So far the lottery hasn't come through, so I started thinking about improved equalizers. MorRyde has an impressive video online for their SRE4000 large rubber block equalizers that have about 4 inches of up/down movement. This system includes the cross chassis stabilizing tubes. The MorRyde SRE 4000 upgrade is about $500. I recently read Jim B's posting that Heartland has been using Dexter suspension stuff for about 24 months now, so I went to Dexter's website and looked at their EZ Flex rubber center bushing equalizer that is apparently what is now used on Heartlands. This upgrade is only $186 including new shackles, bushings and wet bolts (Lippert charges $86 for just a shackle/wetbolt/bushing kit alone).
My question is, what is the best bang for the buck? How do current large Heartland 5th wheel owners (with the Dexter suspension) rate their trailer's ride? Can some owners who have upgraded from the Lippert era suspensions to the newer Heartlands with the Dexter suspensions give me some comparison of the two? Does any one have the MorRyde SRE 4000 equalizers, and what do they think of them?

P.S. A lot of the videos, literature, etc. on the Dexter EZFlex webpage don't seem to work. I sent an e-mail to their webmaster. They DO have a comparison page that seems to show from shock sensor data that their product works pretty good.

GOTTOYS

I got a price from MorRyde to install their IS system on my trailer. It's a little spendy but on the other hand...Add up the price of having a wet bolt kit installed with new equalizers...then add in the price of replacing the springs in a couple or so years. Then throw in the price of a wheel alignment or two. It still isn't less expensive but I think the piece of mind knowing the torsion axles have a five year warranty vs. a broken spring while on the road or worse..and it doesn't look so bad. If I install my own wet bolt kit then change out my own springs it's maybe not so bad but I'm not going to do that...Just thinking...Don

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our BH came with the Mor-Ryde SRE system back in 07. They must have stopped using it before your rig was built? It was a metal box like structure whith a shear spring (Rubber) inside of it. We never had many drawer opening issues at that time and since we've done the Mor-Ryde IS still don't.
With either center point equalizer system, you still have leaf springs to be concerned about so it's your call as to which might be a better choice. I guess if the IS system is out of the question, you might consider new springs made or found locally buy a reputable suspension/alignment shop. You'll have to remove the shackles anyway so to install springs at the same time will be minimal extra labor. There ya go! That's my nickel...:eek:

wdk450

Thanks Ray and Don for your inputs. I got 4 new U.S. made/U.S. steel springs a couple of years ago, so I am not worrying about springs. I don't think the price of removing 8 bolts and replacing them with 8 wet bolts from the kit will incur too much labor charge, when the springs are already accessed to install the new equalizers.

BTW, my rig came with TrailAir Equaflex small rubber block equalizers (Lippert now owns TrailAir).

Last edited:

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I had Lippert's CP air ride suspension installed this past June, and it made a big difference in the ride. I can see the difference on the king pin action. I inflate the air bags to 62psi for the best ride.