Lippert Frames

BobX2

Having just bought a new Sundance XLT 245RL, I have been doing a lot of reading on various forums. I have read quite a bit on folks having an issue with Lippert frame breakage up in the pin box area. I haven't read anything about that problem here on the Heartland forum and was wondering if anyone here has experienced that problem? I know that some issues can get blown out of proportion on forums, but it is still a concern, as this is a pretty critical problem some have had.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There was a problem a few years back with some rigs experiencing frame separation of the overhang, not the pinbox. Those with the problem were repaired by Heartland and production was modified to reinforce the welds and add gusset plates for better support. There haven't been any reports of newer rigs with that occurring.

donr827

Lippert frame problems have been quiet on almost all of the rv forums I visit. Still some but not like a few years ago. Maybe they have made some adjustments to their manufacturing process.
Don

BobX2

My apologies for posting this in the wrong area. This site has so many sub forums it took me a couple of minutes to find where you had moved it to. A little difficult to navigate around this site sometimes.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My apologies for posting this in the wrong area. This site has so many sub forums it took me a couple of minutes to find where you had moved it to. A little difficult to navigate around this site sometimes.

Easiest way to find a post you made is to click on your name at the top of the screen. On the left side of the page, you will find a link that will take you to a listing of the posts you've made.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
There was a problem a few years back with some rigs experiencing frame separation of the overhang, not the pinbox. Those with the problem were repaired by Heartland and production was modified to reinforce the welds and add gusset plates for better support. There haven't been any reports of newer rigs with that occurring.

We saw on the ElkRidge line at the factory tour this summer, the frames now appeared to have the added gussets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobX2

Well, this makes me feel somewhat better. Sounds like things got better after purchasing Dexter. This also leads me to another question. If Heartland and Jayco both use Lippert frames, how come a 2" receiver hitch is a factory option on a Jayco 5th wheel, but that same hitch put on a Heartland will void the frame warranty? What if all I wanted was to put a receiver hitch mounted bike rack on my trailer? If the prices would have been a few thousand dollars closer, I would have bought the Jayco just for the hitch option.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
That would be good question to ask Lippert and HL. Their PH#s are on the portal page on the left side. The only reason that I can think of why the Jayco comes with one....maybe it has a different frame design. I know you can get a small hitch on the Big Horn.

danemayer

Since Lippert provides the frame warranty, you should call and ask them.

Btw, when I talked to Lippert a few years ago they said if I installed the 1-1/4" receiver hitch that Lippert designed, makes and sells for the purpose of attaching to the frame they designed, make and sell, it would void their frame warranty. The explanation was that I might tow something ridiculous with it.

BobX2

Since Lippert provides the frame warranty, you should call and ask them.

Btw, when I talked to Lippert a few years ago they said if I installed the 1-1/4" receiver hitch that Lippert designed, makes and sells for the purpose of attaching to the frame they designed, make and sell, it would void their frame warranty. The explanation was that I might tow something ridiculous with it.

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. We will sell it to you, but you better not use it. Even my atv came with an 1-1/4" receiver. However, I knew about the hitch and warranty issue going into this deal, so it's not like they sprung it on me after the purchase. Guess it's just a chance I will have to take, and hope that no frame issues pop up during the first year. (or ever) If anything, the hitch will help protect the rear from damage if it happens to drag on something. I'm not one to spend much time in campgrounds, so it's not beyond the realm of possibilities that the rear could touch the ground once or twice. ;)