Lippert Leveling System

rfrost

I've had my Bighorn 3760EL for a little over a year now. Just within the past few weeks the leveling jacks have started making popping sounds. It happens a lot. I tried putting blocks underneath them to shorten the stroke, but it has not helped. Should I be concerned and is there anything that can be done to make it stop

Richard Frost
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

ksucats

The popping is a fairly common thing (based on people coming on line with it). I've read that it is due to the hydraulic fluid expanding some which kind of makes sense given that most reports I've read have been when there has been a change in temperature.

There is a hydraulic fluid additive (basically you pull a quart of fluid out of the reservoir and put a quart of this stuff in, cycle everything a few times to mix it all up, and it quiets the popping down. I know that one of the fluids is from CAT but I don't know the number right off. I'm sure that someone will pop in shortly though and give you those names and numbers.

DWChris

This is what everyone is saying is best. I haven't done it yet but plan to to see if it will stop the popping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7f1968f5370e0acdd34a763be3eeed31.jpg

Oregon_Camper

Can't seem to find the CAT hydraulic oil additive available online. Do I really need to go to a CAT dealer to get this stuff?

Are other brands just as good?

rxbristol

Can't seem to find the CAT hydraulic oil additive available online. Do I really need to go to a CAT dealer to get this stuff?

Are other brands just as good?

CAT is the best and yes, you have to go to a dealer.

- - - Updated - - -

I've had my Bighorn 3760EL for a little over a year now. Just within the past few weeks the leveling jacks have started making popping sounds. It happens a lot. I tried putting blocks underneath them to shorten the stroke, but it has not helped. Should I be concerned and is there anything that can be done to make it stop

Richard Frost
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL

Have you been stationary for some time? I noticed the popping starts if I've been sitting in one place for extended time periods, but goes away once I'm on the move. It might even take a few months before it starts again...especially after an over-winter stay. The CAT oil has really helped extend the time period before the popping starts up again. We are currently moving quite often and are not having an issue.

rfrost

CAT is the best and yes, you have to go to a dealer.

- - - Updated - - -

Have you been stationary for some time? I noticed the popping starts if I've been sitting in one place for extended time periods, but goes away once I'm on the move. It might even take a few months before it starts again...especially after an over-winter stay. The CAT oil has really helped extend the time period before the popping starts up again. We are currently moving quite often and are not having an issue.

No, it actually started happening after we moved. We spent the winter in McAllen TX. We moved to North Georgia 3 weeks ago and it started as soon as we set up in Georgia.

rxbristol

No, it actually started happening after we moved. We spent the winter in McAllen TX. We moved to North Georgia 3 weeks ago and it started as soon as we set up in Georgia.

One thing to consider, as posted here a few times, that daily temperature swings from cold to warm or vise versa, will cause popping.

BigGuy82

Richard Frost
2016 Bighorn 3760 EL

One thing not mentioned in this thread is whether or not the popping is harmful. If it's not, I could care less how much it happens, especially if eliminating it involves an expensive additive and the hassle of changing out hydraulic fluid. If it is harmful, I'll upgrade immediately.

Anyone from the factory or with knowledge of this issue have input?

danemayer

One thing not mentioned in this thread is whether or not the popping is harmful. If it's not, I could care less how much it happens, especially if eliminating it involves an expensive additive and the hassle of changing out hydraulic fluid. If it is harmful, I'll upgrade immediately.

Anyone from the factory or with knowledge of this issue have input?

Heartland won't be able to answer your question because Lippert has the expertise on this. But I can tell you that after this problem first started affecting people, it probably took sometime like 2 years for Lippert to come up with the fix. In all that time, and since, I don't think I've heard about anyone having damage to the leveling system as a result of the noise.