Lippert Wet Bolt Kit

jnbhobe

Easy unless it's been a while and they're rusty!

1859dd543ad5aef81352ea750a72ea5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the looks of Tony's hands he's trying to turn the nut the wrong way LOL !!!!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok guys, tell me why you wouldn't use a torque wrench to loosen. I'm a gal and don't know. Obviously we're not mechanically smart? As far as his hands, who knows, when you're lying on your back looking up upside down. He also did spray them with something to ease the loosening of the nuts.

My point was to show the rust-- it's not easy to work anything with that kind of rust. Wish we had treated her better. But multiple trips to Colorado and New Mexico and also to Indiana and back in the winter will do it to ya.

BigGuy82

Ok guys, tell me why you wouldn't use a torque wrench to loosen. I'm a gal and don't know. Obviously we're not mechanically smart? As far as his hands, who knows, when you're lying on your back looking up upside down. He also did spray them with something to ease the loosening of the nuts.

My point was to show the rust-- it's not easy to work anything with that kind of rust. Wish we had treated her better. But multiple trips to Colorado and New Mexico and also to Indiana and back in the winter will do it to ya.

You are smarter than most - you're not afraid to ask a question.

From norbar.com ( https://www.norbar.com/en-gb/News-E...ings-you-should-know-about-your-torque-wrench )

7. Using torque wrenches for undoing

So long as users operate with caution and do not exceed the maximum torque, most torque wrenches can be used for undoing. However, if the bolt will not free within the maximum torque of the wrench, another tool should be used instead. By exceeding the maximum torque limit during a bolt loosening you can affect the wrench accuracy, causing problems for future use. If in any doubt, use another tool for loosening bolts.

So it all depends on how much torque it takes to loosen the bolt. My guess is that if it's rusted, you'll probably exceed the torque range of the wrench. The best way to go is to use a 1/2" drive breaker bar. Spraying the threads with penetrating oil, waiting a whlie and then doing it again is a good approach for loosening rusted fasteners. If that failed, I'd use a torch to heat the nut, thus expanding it. However, if you don't know what you are doing, you run a very real risk of a fire when working under the coach (always point the flame away from anything that's flammable and use a small fire mat to protect combustible areas). Also, I don't think too many RVer's have an acetylene torch lying around, although with a nut that small a MAPP gas torch from a home center will work.

While you are on the Norbar page, there's several good tips about working with a torque wrench, including proper storage techniques.

There ... now you are mechanically smarter.:cool:

jnbhobe

I have a snap on torque wrench I bought a few years ago that only tightens that I use for wheels

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have a snap on torque wrench I bought a few years ago that only tightens that I use for wheels

Thanks, this was a few years ago now, 2014. I do believe it's time for a new torque wrench.

MP_CS

Same here, my snap on 250 ftlb torqe wrench has no reverse selector.

jnbhobe

Unless you have a need for a tool like this I would not buy one. They are $ 400 bucks

CoveredWagon

Actually you can use it that way at times. It's called measuring breakaway torque. But don't exceed the maximum torque of the wrench. Go to Harbor Freight and buy their expensive ($20 or so no sale) 28 inch breaker bar and be safe.