Looking at an Elkridge 34TSRE (2014)

flaitguy

Looking at an Elkridge 34TSRE (2014) but I have seen many complaints. ( I am sure complaints post quicker than compliments) I am big on construction and from what I can tell, few webistes will say, the walls dont look that impressive and I can find nothing on the frames, ie aluminum stud walls etc.

Can anyone give me advice before I make the biggest mistake of my life or miss out on the biggest opportunity of my life.

Thanks!

danemayer

Hi flaitguy,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Here's a link to a Heartland Elkridge brochure. It's for 2016's, so some information will not apply to a 2014 model. But it's a good starting point.

2017 models have been shipping since last spring, so the 2014 you're looking at is probably 3 years old. On a 3 year old trailer, you'll need to do a very thorough inspection of caulking and should probably plan on re-caulking. Take your time inspecting for any evidence of poor maintenance, like signs of water damage. Inspect tires, checking the sidewall stamp to see when they were built and what brand they are. If they're over 3 years old, or are Towmax, you should have the seller replace them. Unless there are maintenance records available (usually not), you should assume the bearings need to be inspected and hand-packed. Brakes too. Take a good look at the suspension. Shackle links and other suspension parts need to be inspected annually for excess wear. You shouldn't assume the prior owner did that.

Btw, it's not uncommon for sellers to tell prospective buyers that their trailer was garaged and was only ever used once or twice. That would be wonderful. But you should not let that be a substitute for a detailed inspection and for trying out everything in the rig to make sure it's all working.

I expect some of our Elkridge owners will chime in as well.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan said it all, if you don't feel you have enough RV knowledge to evaluate a used rig, get some assistance.

We had a 2010 ElkRidge, used for recreation for 4.5 years, then fulltiming for 1.5 years.

If you are wanting a 2-3 season recreational rig, the ElkRidge is good for that. If you want it for fulltiming, I would not recommend it. It is not built for that use. The tanks are smaller, insulation is less, storage is less, smaller fridge, smaller water heater, finishes and products used inside are not meant for the rigors of constant daily use.

Area to look at: where back wall meets the roof and sidewalls, and at the bottom back corners. Some have reported water intrusion causing back wall to deteriorate at back corners of the rig.

Front overhang: look for separated caulk where sidewall meets the curve. This could be a sign of frame-flex, which could contribute to broken aluminum welds inside the walls. Heartland and Lippert have repaired a number of rigs even after warranty, but may baulk at second owner claim.

We loved our ElkRidge and enjoyed it, it was great for what we used it for. But once we began fulltiming we realized we needed a coach more suited for that. We have a Big Country now and love it.

Good luck! Hope you join the Heartland Family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sengli

The elkridge has aluminum framed and vacuum bonded walls and floor like the more expensive units. The one difference is the roof is not a vacuum bonded build type, but wooden rafters with regular bat type insulation...which is fine by the way. Still a strong walk-able type roof. Another big difference is there is no rear fiberglass cap, again just looks really. Also the axles , on mine at least didnt have self adjusting brakes. We had an elkridge for a couple of years and loved it, just wanted a bigger coach so we traded up.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We purchased our 2015 Elkridge in July 2014. It has been a great trailer and has suited our budget and needs quite well. Erica is correct, this is not a full-time RV. But the price also reflects that. It is however a great, well-built trailer for weekends and even extended stays. We would have no problems staying in ours for a month or two at a time.

I think 2014 was the first year they offered the Pearl package. This was the painted front cap with the high-gloss sides. Ours is a light cream and chocolate brown combination. Looks very nice. Easy to clean and maintain.

Our fresh, gray and black tank size are quite suitable for our needs. But it may vary with the size of the trailer. Ours is 41' 7" long. Plenty of inside and outside storage.

We added a 2nd AC unit which works nicely even with the lower R value of the trailer. The fireplace also is a great option. I believe that model trailer is the rear entertainment. My wife and I walked in that floorplan back in 2014 and were very impressed. If it does not have the second AC, it is wired for it. It can be easily added with an aftermarket unit.

We are very happy with the unit. Just about 16,000 miles on it. Very few issues so far. We did upgrade to a better tire right from the beginning. That is something to look at.

Good luck with your search. Anymore questions, this is the place to ask.