Looking at the F350

Great looking truck. IMHO Ford makes the best truck on the road for towing, looks and styling. I tried finding a 2008 3/4 ton Superduty for the past few months and just couldn't find one with the options and color (red or white) that I liked. So I ended up buying a neighbors 2007 GMC 2500HD Sierra Classic WT with the 6.6L Duramax and Allison Transmission. Again it's just the WT, with nothing fancy inside, but I will say with 365hp and 650lb-ft torque, it should be plenty to pull our soon to be new BC3250TS. He was the original owner and it only had 69,000 miles on it. So for the money spent (about half of the SuperDuty) spent I'm pretty impressed with it so far. The one thing I have noticed though is I can feel every pebble I run over. I know the 3/4 ton is alot stiffer ride, but have been told that once loaded, it will smooth down!!!!!

Archbarb, Thank you, I have always admired the Ford styling also.
As far the ride-that wasnt too bad, the only problem I had with the weight carrying our 3250 were the dips in the road or long concrete bridges. At the end of the bridge the truck was doing the rocking horse effect. With Marv's advice (smokeybare)I put on a set of Timbrens and they eliminated ALL the issues with the dips.
As far as pulling and handling after the Timbrens the truck did great and you will love the power.

My problem was I just could not get comfortable with the seats. Around town the WT model does fine. I was in and out of the thruck all the time. But after about 2 hours of constant driving on trips my hip and back started hurting. I tried modifying the seat and its position but nothing worked. So it was either buy power seats from a wreck with heat or buy a new truck....and the rest is history.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I've always advocated that the easiest, but often most expensive, way to fix a problem with most cars/trucks is to remove the radiator cap and drive a new vehicle up under it.

bill40

Archbarb, Thank you, I have always admired the Ford styling also.
As far the ride-that wasnt too bad, the only problem I had with the weight carrying our 3250 were the dips in the road or long concrete bridges. At the end of the bridge the truck was doing the rocking horse effect. With Marv's advice (smokeybare)I put on a set of Timbrens and they eliminated ALL the issues with the dips.
As far as pulling and handling after the Timbrens the truck did great and you will love the power.

My problem was I just could not get comfortable with the seats. Around town the WT model does fine. I was in and out of the thruck all the time. But after about 2 hours of constant driving on trips my hip and back started hurting. I tried modifying the seat and its position but nothing worked. So it was either buy power seats from a wreck with heat or buy a new truck....and the rest is history.
Larry I don't think Jerry and I could handle traveling with out the power and heated seats. When we went to CA we even used the heat on the back many times. The adjustable lumbar is also a bog help. Although I agree with Gus's idea Jerry does not agree. If every thing else is working you may be able to pick up a pair of seats with all the adjustments for a tad less than the new 350.
But a new 350 would be nice!:angel:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Larry I don't think Jerry and I could handle traveling with out the power and heated seats. When we went to CA we even used the heat on the back many times. The adjustable lumbar is also a bog help. Although I agree with Gus's idea Jerry does not agree. If every thing else is working you may be able to pick up a pair of seats with all the adjustments for a tad less than the new 350.

Bill I appreciate the advice but I did use Gus's theory and just replaced the truck. Huge difference in comfort just driving it the 250 miles home on Friday.

Friend of mine owns a truck and car customize place, he could get the leather and heated seats for the GMC but no lumbar.

About a month ago I looked for heated seated seats out of a wreck. After 8 or 9 junk yards I gave up. No one had the NBS seats. I couldnt even get an idea of cost from them.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Deb and I looked at a new 2011 F350 Dually King Ranch yesterday. Had the 13,000# Towing Package and 5th wheel prep package (including electrical connector in the bed). Sure had me salivating! Wasn't in our truck, but I almost took the radiator cap off the Prius!

SouthernNights

I like the readout for the driver info better on the 2011s. And the full console is very nice. But the additional 6k off the 2010 was what made this truck affordable (so to speak) for us.

I bet that new motor and trans combo is no slouch either.
So what color truck do I look for in Oct when you roll in? Or just look for the only Ford with a Prius radiator cap?

SouthernNights

Just thought I would follow up with some info on the Ford. It is a leftover 2010-not the new 2011 with the 6.7.

COMFORT: (VERY SUBJECTIONAL)
WOW-I cannot believe the comfort. I look for excuses to use the heated seats. I like the dash layout. Maybe not better than the GM, just different.
Rear seat has to be better because of the extra couple of inches in leg room.

POWER:
We have pulled the BC twice in the last two weeks. Even with the 3:55 rearend, I can not tell the difference between the Ford 6.4 and the Duramax. The trans does seem to work well with braking. We have not had it in the mountains so that might be where the Duramax with the 3:73 rear beats the 6.4. It was a leftover lot truck. I would rather have 3:73 rears but that might be why this truck sat on the lot for almost a year.

4WD:

Well it does work. Nothing special about it. I do not like the shift on the fly option. I would have perferred the floor shifter. I am just glad I will not get stuck at the dump anymore. That was getting really old with the GMC. I will never buy another 2 wd truck-I have no idea what possessed me to do it the first time with the GMC. Random dumb I guess.

PAYLOAD:
This is apples to oranges. The 2500HD had no problem with 2800lb pin weight. Only thing I did not like is the long concrete bridges-it would start the "rocking horse" effect by th end of them. I did put Timbrens on the truck just before we got rid of it and they cured that problem.
The 350 Ford again-no problem with pin weight. There is almost 1200lbs differnece in rated payload so you would expect no problems. The dips in the road and the long bridges are not an issue either. The truck is definately in control in this case.

MILEAGE:

This is where I was really shocked. The Duramax was finally getting ok mileage in town but it took it about 20k miles. SOLO: It was getting almost 14.5 when we traded it. On the interstate almost 19. Not too bad. Towing was between 9.5 and 10.5 just depending on the topography.

The Ford got almost 18 coming home from the dealer, about 250 miles away. Now that it has about 1500 miles Solo town driving is at 15. hard to believe but I have checked it several times by hand. Interstate- like I said-about 18 although we took it to the beach last Saturday. Drove two lane roads at 55 (really 60), the DIC was saying 19. Did not verify that though. I am hoping it will do like the the GM and all of a sudden start getting better mileage. Still I am very pleased with this.

STORAGE:
Interior storage is about the same. GM did have better under the seat storage in the rear. This truck has a steel foldout floor which takes up almost all of the space under the rear seat. I never even saw that when we were looking at it. I would have perferred the storage bin under the seat even it is plastic.
There was lots of room to mount my compressor and pressure switch behind the rear seat.

OVERALL:
Maybe it is just the "new" but I really think this truck overall is much better than the GMC. Our business typically buys a new truck every other year or less, this is the first one in a long time that I am very impressed with. One thing I really like is the fact the front end does not dive on you in corners. The torsion bar suspension on the GMC rode very well, but in corners it did dive or roll in the corners. The Old School coil spring technology with a straight front axle (Dana 60) does corner better in my opinion. No roll at all. It gives you the sense of a more stable platform.
The steering is also Old school. It has a box, pitman arm , draglink, tierod ends etc. vs. the rack and pinion sterring that GM usues. I will say the GM was quicker and more responsive in the steering.
Braking seems to be about the same. The GM integrated controller was set at 4 out of 10 when towing. I never used the trailer brakes with the dump trailers. I had to drop down to 3.5 on the Ford. Difference in amps going to the trailer.

Oh yeah, I love the little keyless entry keyboard on the drivers door. I am going to wear that thing out.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Glad you like it Larry.Like you I don't like the underseat storage. But I do like my Fords. Family is all here for the 4th Big party yesterday this place looked like a Ford dealer. LOL Have a good 4th of July everyone!!!!

PSF513

LARRY: I think Jim is right. 8 more steps on this round.

I gotta tell you that my F250 is an awesome vehicle. Looked at the 2010 and 2011 F350 but decided I could save a lot of $$s by upgrading what I have. So that is in process. Much as I would love a larger truck, the finances just don't work right now.

Good luck with your conundrum (?). Next time we see you, no telling what you will be driving or towing.

Dave012

Larry,

I replaced the steel fold out floor on my F350 with a plastic bin (it was called a du-ha bin). I bought it on e-bay and it gives me that bit of extra space in the truck. I never had a use for the fold out floor. Some places charge an arm and a leg for the bins, but I got mine for fairly cheap.