Looking at the Madison

Cholo

After months of searching, we may have narrowed our choice to the Madison. Dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away and just received one in stock. Hopefully I can get away and see it late this week or next. We will special order because I want all the bells and whistles. Which brings me to some questions:

Anybody have the 3rd A/C? Needed? I have lung issues and need good ventilation, (fan), while cooking. Sometimes the fan under the microwave is not enough, (not sure it has one). Ordering 3rd A/C makes it so I don't have fan in kitchen. Thoughts?
Anybody order the washer/dryer? Is the dryer vented and does the washer sit in a pan with a drain to the outside?
How good is the installed EMS system? Do we need to buy another surge protector?
Does the 2016's come with water filters?
Thoughts on induction stove vs reg stove/oven?

I know I need to ask the dealer most of my questions and I will. Just want to hear thoughts from owners.

Thanks

danemayer

Some answers below:

How good is the installed EMS system? Do we need to buy another surge protector?

The main transfer switch (between shore power and generator) has a built-in surge protector. It is not a full EMS however. You should consider adding a separate EMS.

Does the 2016's come with water filters?

Yes. It's a single stage filter located behind the UDC.

Thoughts on induction stove vs reg stove/oven?

Most people seem to like the induction cooktop.

jbeletti

The convection/microwave oven does have a vent in it that is vented outside. But if that's not enough, a Fantastic fan in the kitchen area may be what you require. There's no going back to install one in place of the 3rd AC and there's no adding a 3rd AC later. So think through this one carefully before ordering. We ordered the 3rd AC and have used it a few times. With the length of these units and the straightline roof system adding to the cubic volume, I felt it best to get the 3rd AC, plus I wanted to try it out.

The washer/dryer will be dealer ordered and installed units. Most installations would include the drain pan that should be routed outside of the coach. What you get and how it's installed is between your dealer. Vented dryers are common and effective.

I agree with Dan on the EMS - I'd have the dealer order in and install a Progressive 50 amp hard-wired unit with the remote display installed in your switch cabinet.

Love the induction cooktop versus gas. If you're not much of a boondocker - you too may like induction. Convection baking in the microwave is different than a gas oven. You can get both - but you'd give up the induction cooktop. We don't bake real often but have found the convection oven to be quite usable and have used them for over 10 years now.

The Landmark comes with a single whole-house filter system. This is adequate for most people. I prefer a two-stage system, so I have removed Heartland's system and installed my own. Note too that the residential refrigerator also has it's own built-in filter, so refer ice/water does get double filtered.

The Madison is a great unit if you like front living room layouts. Wishing you all the best in your quest.

Cholo

The convection/microwave oven does have a vent in it that is vented outside. But if that's not enough, a Fantastic fan in the kitchen area may be what you require. There's no going back to install one in place of the 3rd AC and there's no adding a 3rd AC later. So think through this one carefully before ordering. We ordered the 3rd AC and have used it a few times. With the length of these units and the straightline roof system adding to the cubic volume, I felt it best to get the 3rd AC, plus I wanted to try it out.

The washer/dryer will be dealer ordered and installed units. Most installations would include the drain pan that should be routed outside of the coach. What you get and how it's installed is between your dealer. Vented dryers are common and effective.

I agree with Dan on the EMS - I'd have the dealer order in and install a Progressive 50 amp hard-wired unit with the remote display installed in your switch cabinet.

Love the induction cooktop versus gas. If you're not much of a boondocker - you too may like induction. Convection baking in the microwave is different than a gas oven. You can get both - but you'd give up the induction cooktop. We don't bake real often but have found the convection oven to be quite usable and have used them for over 10 years now.

The Landmark comes with a single whole-house filter system. This is adequate for most people. I prefer a two-stage system, so I have removed Heartland's system and installed my own. Note too that the residential refrigerator also has it's own built-in filter, so refer ice/water does get double filtered.

The Madison is a great unit if you like front living room layouts. Wishing you all the best in your quest.

Thanks so much for this. Can you tell me if the 3rd A/C is "quiet" and in the ducting or by it self?

jbeletti

I agree with Kenneth on this. All 3 ACs are the same noise level. Not too noisy and not super quiet either. The 3rd (middle) AC is centrally ducted.

What we do is "noise shift". If we're watching TV downstairs, we'll adjust the bedroom AC down a couple degrees from the living room AC. This makes the bedroom AC do more of the cooling and the living room unit will kick on if it needs to.

At night, we prefer quiet, so we reverse the settings and let the living room AC or heat pump do more of the work.

When you need the cooling power of all 3 ACs, you just don't care much about the noise of 3 of them running - you just want to be cool.

Stay cool :)

TxCowboy

We've had the Key West since August 2015 so hopefully we can contribute something to your decision.

We're in South Texas and three ACs are essential. These are big units and are well insulated and having three ACs means that none of them are working particularly hard to cool the RV. They are relatively quiet and the EMS does a great job of cycling them off and on in the different zones. If you are not normally in high heat areas, three ACs may not be necessary. I'd rather have three ACs and not need them than only have two and realize they can't do the job. Also, since you mentioned needing good fans, any or all of the ACs can be set to fan mode, if you want that.

Speaking of fans, the microwave/convection oven is vented to the outdoor. Also, there is an exhaust fan under the microwave for the cooktop. I do almost all the cooking in the RV and have no complaints whatsoever with either of these exhaust systems. They do the job very well.

Induction cooktops -- people either love 'em or hate 'em. I love 'em. :) Had to buy new cookware and there are some sticking issues with that cookware but, with a little practice and some research, you can find ways that will work for you. Since we have no plans to boondock with our Key West, induction cooking combined with the microwave/convection oven fits our needs perfectly. We will sometimes use an electric skillet for some items and have a portable induction cooktop burner if we need a third burner so it is all of the kitchen we need.

We had the washer and dryer installed at the dealership as part of the deal. Have only used them a couple of times (more of a test than anything else) and they work fine. My dealer told me that the factory does not install them with a drain/drip pan which I have since learned is not correct. My recommendation is (1) have a drain pan installed that drains out the bottom of the RV and extends past the coroplast and (2) ensure you can reach the water cutoff valves for the washing machine. As for the dryer, we have ours vented outside and, because we have the full body paint, Heartland included a variety of exterior paint colors to paint the vent to match the exterior colors. A nice touch by Heartland! :)

You have good answers on the filters and the EMS already so nothing to add there.

One additional thought -- consider getting the dishwasher. We had one installed by the dealer as part of the purchase deal and absolutely love it. The wash cycles are pretty quick and, again we're not boondocking, so using water to wash a load or two of dishes each days is not an issue. We love the convenience of having a dishwasher and it really completes the appliance ensemble in luxury units like the Landmark series.

Hope something here helps with your decision. Enjoy your Ashland!