Looking like Disk Brakes

LBR

Thanks! I didn't think of that.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I'll get the parts tomorrow and be able to see if it fits in there.
Ours got installed in the ODS propane cubby of our CY yesterday....fits fine, plenty of room.

Gary521

You may be getting the wrong kit. I looked quickly at the specs and the wheel studs are 1/2". The wheel studs on a Bighorn are 9/16". Also, you may need to double flare the brake lines if the kit is not suited to your specific trailer. Make sure you get a decent flare tool. I tried to use a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it did not work well for me.

As far a fitting in the Propane area, I hope it works for you. Most of us have the Titan actuator which is easier to mount.

ILH

I've been following this thread out of interest. On my last RV (2013 Road Warrior), I had always wanted to do the conversion to disc brakes - but doubted my skills. My brothers and I were garage monkeys when we were teenagers, always rebuilding engines, etc. I've gotten old and soft - hiring people to do a quality job instead. :p

Anyway, the point of this message is that I'm particularly pleased that I purchased my new rig (2020 Landmark) and had disc brakes added as an option from the factory. I am SOOOOO looking forward to trying it out.

kab449

You may be getting the wrong kit. I looked quickly at the specs and the wheel studs are 1/2". The wheel studs on a Bighorn are 9/16". Also, you may need to double flare the brake lines if the kit is not suited to your specific trailer. Make sure you get a decent flare tool. I tried to use a cheap one from Harbor Freight and it did not work well for me.

As far a fitting in the Propane area, I hope it works for you. Most of us have the Titan actuator which is easier to mount.

I called their technical services department before ordering. I gave them all the info including the tire size which is 16". I also just measured the studs and across the outside of the threads it measures 1/2". The kit is coming later today or tomorrow and I will see if the lug nuts fit. If not, we will step back and punt. All my trips through May are cancelled so I have until then to get it right if its wrong.
They told me the brake lines are sized for the 7K dexter axles. They said the line from the pump will be too long depending where I mount it but I can just circle loop it to take up the extra. I do have a flair tool as I own a used car dealership and a PA State Inspection Station that my son runs as I retired 15 years ago.
I'm not real confident it will fit in the propane bay as I have a 3160EL Bighorn which has pretty small compartments. I can place it in the front basement aside of the batteries and make a removable cover for it.
Thanks for pointing out the possible stud problem. I will unpack 1 hub/rotor and check the lug nut. That way if I have to send it back I don't have to deal with repacking everything.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been following this thread out of interest. On my last RV (2013 Road Warrior), I had always wanted to do the conversion to disc brakes - but doubted my skills. My brothers and I were garage monkeys when we were teenagers, always rebuilding engines, etc. I've gotten old and soft - hiring people to do a quality job instead. :p

Anyway, the point of this message is that I'm particularly pleased that I purchased my new rig (2020 Landmark) and had disc brakes added as an option from the factory. I am SOOOOO looking forward to trying it out.

I was going to have one of the mechanics that work for me do it but when this pandemic hit all my trips for the next 2 months were canceled. I'm going crazy sitting around listening to the talking heads on tv. No sports to watch either. I worked the Service Station/Used car dealership for 35 years. My son runs it now but I still enjoy getting my hands greasy. I have to laugh, the mechanics we have now all wear gloves. I call them pansies.

mlpeloquin

Unless Heartland changed suppliers the lug size is stamped on them near the bottom. Take one off and look. Mine were 9/16 threads.

kab449

The parts came today from Etrailer. Sure enough the wheel studs in the hub/rotors were 1/2" and the lug nuts are 9/16 as mlpeloquin stated. Contacted etrailer and explained that their customer service representative that took the order messed up. They were excellent to work with and are shipping me 4 correct rotors and 4 outer wheel bearings for free and no additional charge even though the original order was a bundled deal at a good price: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Hydrastar/HSE7K-T1.html
The outer wheel bearings are the only thing different along with the larger wheel studs.
I can install the actuator, brake lines, wiring, caliper mounts while waiting for the rotors. Another 3 days of waiting to finish. It will be ready when this virus thing tapers off and everything opens up again.

Flick

The parts came today from Etrailer. Sure enough the wheel studs in the hub/rotors were 1/2" and the lug nuts are 9/16 as mlpeloquin stated. Contacted etrailer and explained that their customer service representative that took the order messed up. They were excellent to work with and are shipping me 4 correct rotors and 4 outer wheel bearings for free and no additional charge even though the original order was a bundled deal at a good price: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Hydrastar/HSE7K-T1.html
The outer wheel bearings are the only thing different along with the larger wheel studs.
I can install the actuator, brake lines, wiring, caliper mounts while waiting for the rotors. Another 3 days of waiting to finish. It will be ready when this virus thing tapers off and everything opens up again.

Every now and then you hear good things about companies that many of us depend for on. I’m glad to hear etrailer came right for you. They are one of the good guys and work hard at it. Remember the old days when we bought everything from a mom and pop auto store in downtown, USA. Generally, unless it was a factory problem with a part, it was yours.

BLR

Our up grades are getting closer..
Thanks to
Performance Trailer Braking and installers
Heather and Josh..
8000lb axles, Disk Brakes, Shocks and Slipper Springs..
Looks beautiful

Barbara
251be3e5510fc4f57d01e474917d55ac.jpg
92630175077f41a15d56debc9a6d6660.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics

Gary521

There are a few youtube videos that walk you thru the process, if you have some questions. These videos show the wiring connection at the junction box by the king pin. If you understand wiring you can wire the system without running a wire to this box but it takes some wire searching. If the kit has brake lines that are too long and you don't want to cut and flare, make sure you don't have any vertical looping as that will trap air.

kab449

There are a few youtube videos that walk you thru the process, if you have some questions. These videos show the wiring connection at the junction box by the king pin. If you understand wiring you can wire the system without running a wire to this box but it takes some wire searching. If the kit has brake lines that are too long and you don't want to cut and flare, make sure you don't have any vertical looping as that will trap air.

I didn't even get involved with the wiring mess at the king pin. The blue wire came to the OD side front axle first and then split to the other axles and brakes. I soldiered a new the same size to it and ran it along with the hydraulic line to the actuator. I ended putting the actuator in front of the batteries in the front compartment.
disk brake 2.jpg

Flick

Our up grades are getting closer..
Thanks to
Performance Trailer Braking and installers
Heather and Josh..
8000lb axles, Disk Brakes, Shocks and Slipper Springs..
Looks beautiful

Barbara
251be3e5510fc4f57d01e474917d55ac.jpg
92630175077f41a15d56debc9a6d6660.jpg

Sent from BLR Logistics

What will be the total height difference for the rig with this system in place vs the oem?

BLR

What will be the total height difference for the rig with this system in place vs the oem?
We were told it will ride about an 1" lower.

We didn't notice it being any lower.

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

Flick

We were told it will ride about an 1" lower.

We didn't notice it being any lower.

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics

That looks to be a very nice setup. I reckon they have to engineer into it that it would be close to original. My building, for example, has 14’ tall doors that opens to 13’8” max. Not much room for error. What tires are you using on this setup?

BLR

That looks to be a very nice setup. I reckon they have to engineer into it that it would be close to original. My building, for example, has 14’ tall doors that opens to 13’8” max. Not much room for error. What tires are you using on this setup?
We still have the original Sailuns.
16" wheels.

Barbara

Sent from BLR Logistics