Loose Amps with 30 amp to 50 amp Dog Bone?

Lose Amps with 30 amp to 50 amp Dog Bone?

My husband and I have scoured many of the posts trying to find a simple answer. We have found conflicting information on several sites and hoping an actual person could give us some suggestions.

We have a 30 amp North Trail TT and there is a state park we’dlike to visit but it only offers 20 amp and 50 amp hookups.If we buy a 30 amp to 50 amp dog bone, willwe lose any amperage?Some say that wewill only have 25 amps off one of the poles, others say that we will pull thenecessary 30 amps/110 volts?

HELP PLEASE!

This forum has helped these newbies greatly! Thanks for all the guidance and suggestions!

porthole

Retired
You will be fine.

50 amp at the pedestal is not two 25 amp circuits.

50 amp at the pedestal is two 50 amps circuits for a combined available total of 100 amps.

Your "dog bone" will use one of the 50 amp circuits, so you will have your full 30 amps avaible

I'd suggest you look for one of the Camco style dog bones as they are built with grab handles, making it so much easier to unplug.
One on evilbay right now
http://www.ebay.com/itm/camco-rv-po...e-to-50amp-female-power-adapter-/321403179169

Amazon prime for $20
http://www.amazon.com/Voltec-16-005...400080940&sr=8-1&keywords=rv+50+amp+to+30+amp

Re: Lose Amps with 30 amp to 50 amp Dog Bone?

Thanks porthole. There is so much conflicting information. The one you suggested from Amazon is the one we were leaning towards trying so for $20 bucks, we'll give it a try.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

There are two situations for 50 amp connectors. Split phase to create the 120v l1 and l2 to at 50 amps to neutral with 220v measuring between l1 and l2 which is what most camp grounds use. The other is l1 only at 20(depending on source) or higher amp that has a jumper to allow 120v from l1 to l2 for 50 amp connectors; and therefore there is 120v measuring between l1 and l2 on a 50 amp connector. Most trailers would not notice the difference, but higher end motor homes that have 220v appliances would would have a problem. The only way to tell which power is available is to measure the voltage across l1 and l2 for 50 amp connectors. If you do not have 220 but only 110 then you must check to see what the amperage of the circuit breakers are. Fortunately, I have only experience one camp ground out of many that cheated with the 50 amp connector.

porthole

Retired

The other is l1 only at 20(depending on source) or higher amp that has a jumper to allow 120v from l1 to l2 for 50 amp connectors; and therefore there is 120v measuring between l1 and l2 on a 50 amp connector.

If true, that would mean most campgrounds are only supplying 20-50 amps at the 50 amp connector?

dewwood

I have a 30 amp unit and have used a step down from 50 amp to 30 amp like you are talking about. It has worked well with no problems. We have only encountered a couple of campgrounds like what you are describing but it has worked well each time.

I have a 30 amp unit and have used a step down from 50 amp to 30 amp like you are talking about. It has worked well with no problems. We have only encountered a couple of campgrounds like what you are describing but it has worked well each time.

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for! User reviews!

porthole

Retired

I did not say that--- Pleas read the entire post

I did, and didn't connect the two comments since they are separate descriptions / paragraphs. Perhaps this part "only experience one camp ground out of many that cheated" should be with the jumped comment.

There are two situations for 50 amp connectors. Split phase to create the 120v l1 and l2 to at 50 amps to neutral with 220v measuring between l1 and l2 which is what most camp grounds use.

The other is l1 only at 20(depending on source) or higher amp that has a jumper to allow 120v from l1 to l2 for 50 amp connectors; and therefore there is 120v measuring between l1 and l2 on a 50 amp connector.

Most trailers would not notice the difference, but higher end motor homes that have 220v appliances would would have a problem. The only way to tell which power is available is to measure the voltage across l1 and l2 for 50 amp connectors. If you do not have 220 but only 110 then you must check to see what the amperage of the circuit breakers are. Fortunately, I have only experience one camp ground out of many that cheated with the 50 amp connector.

Last edited: