lose valve stems

4ever

Some of you already know that I had a blowout with my new trailer two weeks ago. It ended up being a lose valve stem causing the leak. Today I checked the other valves to see if they were OK. I used a torque wrench at the 40 inch pounds as recommended by Tredit. Tredit is the company that supplies the tires and wheels to Heartland. All of the other three stems were lose. In fact one was extremely lose. I was able to tighten the one without the rachet just using my fingers on the socket. I more then likely would have had another tire blow.

just wanted everyone to know what I have found. Perhaps checking valve stems once in awhile is not a bad idea. Hope this helps someone else.

Ted

BandK

After reading about all of the tire issues, I waited for Discount tire to open before we left on our last trip and swung into check tire pressures. Sure enough, had a leaking valve stem. Definitely need to check the tires every time!

4ever

For my valve stems it is a 9/16' deep socket. As mentioned, if you use a torque wrench it is to 40 inch lbs.

Ted

wdk450

Please note that the specified torque is 40 INCH POUNDS, not the common FOOT POUNDS we have on most of our torque wrenches. An online calculator says that 40 inch pounds is equal to 3.33 foot pounds.

4ever

By they way, if you are checking your valve stems don't forget to check the spare tire.

ted