Lug nuts/torque

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I would have no problem at either torque but would probably opt for 125.

Peace
Dave

dan00500

Just to confirm... Is the correct, Heartland-approved torque supposed to be 120-125 foot pounds?

And...after getting new tires installed, is it true that the lug nuts should be retightened after 25-50 miles of use?

mlpeloquin

120 to 125 ft lbs. I would loosen the nuts then torque. The impact wrenches over torque most of the time. I have found two under torqued and the rest over torqued with the last set of tires. This can be as bad as under torque. Torque settings as set to put the threads into spring tension. Better than a lock nut. This setting is for 9/16 threads. The thread size should be stamped on the OEM lugs.

dan00500

Thanks mlpeloquin. Good thought to loosen, then tighten to the proper ft lbs. And, thanks for confirming the right setting. I'll see if my Harbor Freight torque wrench holds up to the job.

Should I loosen all of them first, then tighten? ... I know to use the star pattern, of course.

If yes, I would need to think about jacking up the tire/axle before messing with the lug nut.

jeffdee

So I replaced my factory lug nuts with some longer closed end caps. I took
the opportunity to purchase a new torque wrench as well. I know the factory probably impacts those lug nuts on but boy, were they hard to get off! I had to jump onto the wrench to get it to budge.

I put the new ones on, star pattern and all, and the owners manual says 120 lbs torque. I used the new torque wrench and a 3” extension for the socket and yet it seems so loose. The wrench is set correctly (used one before) and I’m going till it clicks. Am I doing this right? I feel like I can unscrew the nuts with my fingers. Is there a chance the extension affects the torque readings? Or is it supposed to be like this?

Thanks!
If you use impact an socket and impact extension then you are near 100% accurate torque. It is the chrome sockets and extension that will affect accurate torque.

mlpeloquin

I have had to replace lugs and sockets do to impact wrenches. Both sockets and lugs had the threads pealing off. Every time when a facility has used an impact wrench they have been over torqued and only a few were under torqued. The shops swear that the wrenches are calibrated. So far it’s a bunch of malarkey. Do to experience, I do not trust them anymore.