Low Drains for Hot & Cold water

turtletex

We traded in our 2011 Heartland Elk Ridge fifth wheel for the 2012 Big Horn. The Elk Ridge had hot and cold low water drains for water that was in the lines. I do not see these on the 2012 Big Horn. When we did a walk through from the dealer they did not mention the low drains for draining the water lines. Could some one please let me know where to look for the low drains on the Big Horn. I called the dealer and they said I had to remove a panel inside the basement compartment.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
They no longer put low point drains on the BH. The only drain you will find is the fresh water tank.

Peace
Dave

turtletex

Thanks Dave for your reponse. Does that mean that there is a possiblity the lines could freeze since water is still present?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Turtle, thats the reason (lines freezing) they do not install them anymore. I removed mine over a year ago.

gasman

Camp Socializer
When I drain my water heater I open my taps and the entire system seems to drain fairly well. That said, you still need to winterize.

chris4905

Ken-

As Cookie said the drains have been deleted from current models, due to prior freezing problems.

The "old" low drains had open/close valves sticking out the bottom of the enclosed cover, so owners could access the valves for operation. This allowed the outside cold air a place to easily reach the lines and this was the first place to freeze. Kind of a "catch-22" situation.

Heartland removed the valves due to freezing, so now there is no "easy" draining method just for the lines. Like Mike said, remove the water heater rod and let the heater tank drain.

Of course the fresh water tank needs to be drained and there is still a low drain valve and when it's opened the fresh tank will be cleared. (On mine it's directly next to the sewer tank connection under the body of the unit.

BUT........ the cold & hot water lines probably still have water in them, and yes, those could freeze if left there in cold weather, and yes are at risk of breaking. If left long enough, in cold enough weather, I would imagine all the plumbing system, including fittings, etc., are at risk.

If I'm leaving the trailer for a few days, and it's going to be freezing weather, I drain the fresh water tank, drain the water heater, and put compressed air through the hot/cold water lines to blow them out. I have a fitting that screws into the fresh city hook-up (the other end of the fitting has a fitting to match my compressor line), open all the water facet valves inside the trailer, and push out the water with about 50 psi of air.

Hope this helps,
Chris

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The fitting that Chris is talking about can be had at any Wally World for about a buck fifty.