LP generator and 3rd A.C. unit

LarryL

I am curious as to how much propane the generators use per hour and how electricity they generate. Also with a 50 amp service if you have the 3rd A.C. unit what else can you run in the trailer? Seems like you would be at a risk of overload if you were cooking or running a coffee pot. Am I missing something. Never owned anything like this before and I am a little confused

danemayer

Hi LarryL,

Since you posted in the Landmark-Prospective Owners sub-forum, let me assume you're looking at a Landmark 365.

The optional Onan 5500 LP generator that you can order from the factory should have two output legs of 3,600 watts @ 120V, or 30 amps each. Fuel consumption varies depending on how much power is being consumed. See the attached table.

If you do have a Landmark 365, it comes with a Power Control System that manages the available power, shedding loads as necessary so that you don't exceed the available power. It automatically senses when running on the generator and adjusts accordingly. Depending on what else is using power, you may be able to run 3 A/C units at the same time when on the generator.

You can read more about this in our owner-written Landmark 365 User Guide.

Attachments

• Onan Fuel Consumption.jpg
    Onan Fuel Consumption.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 51

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine will only run 2 AC's on Gen power 1 on L-1 & 1 on L-2 legs if you try to kick on the 3rd AC it will pop the breaker on the front of the Gen

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Mine will only run 2 AC's on Gen power 1 on L-1 & 1 on L-2 legs if you try to kick on the 3rd AC it will pop the breaker on the front of the Gen

Interesting Jerrod. The PCS system is supposed to sense the generator, by way of the hours meter, and adjust total available amps. Sounds like yours is not sensing the generator and thinks you still have 12,000 watts available. Or perhaps it's programmed, as in this screen capture, to think the generator provides more than 30 amps on each leg.

Maybe check the panel on yours next time the generator is supplying power.

Attachments

• PCS panel on Generator Power.jpg
    PCS panel on Generator Power.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 33

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My gen has that one 20amp breaker (not factory installed) :( I think that where my problem is.
69147cc419960571e47e82ee4607fbff.jpg

danemayer

That would do it. Makes me wonder though. Onan makes the 5500 LP in 2 models: 30/30 and 30/20. Seems like some people have gotten the model with two 30 amp circuits. Others one 30 and one 20.

Our factory install built in 2010 came with 30/30.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ya if I would have known this when we ordered it I would have the 30-30 right now. LOL but that goes for a lot of things I've learned over the last 11 months. :/

sknoch

You can swap the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp. This what Cummins did when I had them install my generator. They make two models one is the 30/20 and one is 30/30. According to Cummins, the ONLY difference is the one breaker. Mine has been in for 6 months and not an issue and I can run all three A/C units off the generator. Hope this helps.

Shawn

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You can swap the 20 amp breaker for a 30 amp. This what Cummins did when I had them install my generator. They make two models one is the 30/20 and one is 30/30. According to Cummins, the ONLY difference is the one breaker. Mine has been in for 6 months and not an issue and I can run all three A/C units off the generator. Hope this helps.

Shawn
Sknoch:
Thanks for that info I'll call Onan and order a 30amp breaker today. I knew I could replace the 20 with a 30 but I didn't know Onan would be OK with that.
If your able to run all 3 AC's with no problems then I guess I'll do the same thing.
Thanks for you post.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I did a Google search and found Cummins North West
I ordered the 30amp breaker should have it in a few days Thanks for that info.
Here's the Part number 320-1323. The price on the breaker is $37.96
06742849155ab0007265869c1f9dfe2a.jpg

avvidclif

Interesting that the only difference is the breaker, makes you wonder WHY??????

On a side note last weekend we dry camped and ran the generator a total of 27 hours out of 43 hrs camping. Burned 7.7 gal of gas. Some A/C but mostly water heater and coffee pot. A little microwave. Just normal usage. And the breathing stuff at night(required)..

I can live with that.

rxbristol

Hi LarryL,

Since you posted in the Landmark-Prospective Owners sub-forum, let me assume you're looking at a Landmark 365.

The optional Onan 5500 LP generator that you can order from the factory should have two output legs of 3,600 watts @ 120V, or 30 amps each. Fuel consumption varies depending on how much power is being consumed. See the attached table.

If you do have a Landmark 365, it comes with a Power Control System that manages the available power, shedding loads as necessary so that you don't exceed the available power. It automatically senses when running on the generator and adjusts accordingly. Depending on what else is using power, you may be able to run 3 A/C units at the same time when on the generator.

You can read more about this in our owner-written Landmark 365 User Guide.

Your chart is interesting because I have one that states the generator uses .75 gallons of propane under full load.

avvidclif

That's a little over a 1/4 gallon an hour not to bad. I've heard our LP gen uses a lot more.

Kinda hard to tell with LP but start with a full gas tank and fill when done. Look at the hours, makes it easy. I know LP uses more but I don't think it's that much more. LP is better for storage

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Well my new 30amp breaker came today.
Took me about 10 minutes to replace it.
Now I have 2 - 30amp and can run all 3 AC's.
The wires on the back of the 20amp (top) were exactly the same as the ones on the 30amp (bottom) so no worries of overloading the wires.
37ff83145e94a8741ed09cdb35cb9465.jpg

d0484e339638d4e1729dacd48260a4c5.jpg

6d68076cedfb1e5044d27db6f81cccf1.jpg
38ad7abcb4870231d9cd0ec887653019.jpg

I even properly labelled it.

a068a6ecf35835536aadccb07493d143.jpg

jdamude

That would do it. Makes me wonder though. Onan makes the 5500 LP in 2 models: 30/30 and 30/20. Seems like some people have gotten the model with two 30 amp circuits. Others one 30 and one 20.

Our factory install built in 2010 came with 30/30.

I have a 5500 LP unit that I'm installing in my 4010RD Big Country. The Load wires coming out of the generator are only 12 gage. Why are the wires sized so small for a 50 Amp service? The wiring charts show a 6 gage wire size for 50 Amps.

Thanks
Jeff

danemayer

The 5500 has 2 circuit breakers on the unit. Neither one is 50 amps. At least one should be 30 amps and the other might be 30 amps, or might be 20 amps.

Most wire gauge tables would show 10 gauge wire for a 30 amp circuit, but some of the more complex tables show applications where 12 gauge might be appropriate. I'm not a licensed electrician and don't know the electrical codes, so I can't say whether 12 gauge is appropriate or not.

But unlike your shore power, neither generator wire is carrying 50 amps.

jdamude

The 5500 has 2 circuit breakers on the unit. Neither one is 50 amps. At least one should be 30 amps and the other might be 30 amps, or might be 20 amps.

Most wire gauge tables would show 10 gauge wire for a 30 amp circuit, but some of the more complex tables show applications where 12 gauge might be appropriate. I'm not a licensed electrician and don't know the electrical codes, so I can't say whether 12 gauge is appropriate or not.

But unlike your shore power, neither generator wire is carrying 50 amps.

Thanks. Seems odd that you feed the transfer switch with the 12 gage and all the rest of the wiring is 6 gage.

danemayer

Thanks. Seems odd that you feed the transfer switch with the 12 gage and all the rest of the wiring is 6 gage.

Well, there's a junction box that the generator ties into. On my factory-installed Onan, the wires between that junction box and the transfer switch are 6 gauge. I don't know what's coming out of the generator as it goes to the junction box.