Lug wrench

Bob Vaughn

I am glad I did not have a flat tire last Saturday when I was bringing home our brand new shinny Big Country. I would have not been able to change a tire as there was no lug wrench in the basement or any where else....I was tinkering today and realized one was not included......I guess I have to make a trip to the auto parts store or was I just short changed at delivery time?????:(

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I carry two lug wrenches. One for the pickup and 5th wheel and one for my boat. The first one is a truck type and is larger and gives good leverage for those lug nuts that can get very difficult to break loose.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
While you are buying get a torque wrench, extension and socket for the lug nuts. Then you can use the torque wrench for the lug wrench. You will need a torque wrench to properly torque the lug nuts.

jnbhobe

Bob; I carry a 4-way truck wrench, 250 ft lb. torque wrench, and a B&D 1/2 in. electric impact wrench, a 2 1/2 ton short floor jack, and 6 & 12 ton bottle jacks. Oh and level-up. Hopefully I can get the job done if need be. LOL

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The 4-way lug wrench, bottle jacks, tow strap, tie-down straps, flares, gloves, "road" tools, tarps, and an E-tool, are all kept in or behind the big rubbermaid box strapped in the front of my truck bed. Now I need to figure out a spot to keep the Viair compressor I just got.

HappyKayakers

While you are buying get a torque wrench, extension and socket for the lug nuts. Then you can use the torque wrench for the lug wrench. You will need a torque wrench to properly torque the lug nuts.
x2, I got a 1/2 in drive torque wrench, works great

Buford445

Just DON'T use the torque wrench as a Ratchet it's NOT Designed for that, Just use it to Torque the lugnuts

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Just DON'T use the torque wrench as a Ratchet it's NOT Designed for that, Just use it to Torque the lugnuts
Just curious, why do they come with a ratcheting head? What affect does using it as a ratchet cause? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to understand why not. The ratchet head on my Craftsman Torque wrench is no different than the head on my Craftsman 1/2" drive ratchet.

caissiel

Its in the instructions on my Torque wrench. The ratchet is for being able to check the torque at the best position and not be caught against some other object. The problem is if it is torqued at higher level than the setting. The stop might be damaged or something like that. I seldom use mine not to drop it or cause setting problems. Its stored in the case all the time with the setting at zero. So why would I want to reset everytime if I need to use it for other reasons.

I carry a full set of tools in a 5th wheel box at the back of my truckbox. Part of it is a 250 some pieces socket set.

Buford445

Like "Caissie" Stated It is NOT Designed to be a Working Ratchet Wench, it will Damage the Calibration, it is a Calibrated TOOL

Birchwood

Not many tools included with the fifth wheels.For wheel removal I use a half inch power bar,two different entensions and a 7/8 deep 6 point socket.
Also I have a $25 wal mart torque wrench although my sockets and power bars are high quality.I use the tools for
greasing bearings and rotating tires.

danemayer

I took the advice of the Heartland Manual and bought a torque wrench. The first 500 miles, I checked as the manual directed, and tightened lugnuts every time. Since then, I've been surprised that there are slightly loose lugnuts just about every time I check - at the start of every trip.

From the Heartland Manual:

Proper wheel nut torque is essential to safe and dependable trailering. The wheel and axle systems used
in RVs are similar in many ways to those used in cars and trucks, but they differ in several important ways. These
differences require special attention to wheel nut torque both while the trailer is new and throughout the trailer’s life.
Trailer wheels must carry much higher loads per wheel than passenger car or truck wheels. Furthermore, wheels
on tandem axle trailers do not steer, and are subjected to very high side load stress whenever the trailer makes a tight turn.
When you go around corners – especially slow, tight ones – the wheels on your trailer are subjected to these strong
side loads. This tends to flex the wheel and gradually loosen the wheel nuts. Although the materials and manufacturing
methods are maximized for this kind of service, these extra load stresses and flexing can cause loosening.
It is critical that the wheels be properly torque at the start of the trip and every 50 miles for the first 500 miles
of road operation. Although the wheels have been properly torqued before leaving the manufacturing plant, settling
and wearing in of components during the first few miles of operation may cause some loosening of the wheel nuts.
The wheel nut torque is 120 ft-lbs. Always use an accurate torque wrench to tighten wheel nuts. A torque wrench
with adequate accuracy is available at most automotive tool stores. Considering the overall investment in the trailer, this
is a very reasonable cost. Use of a torque wrench can also reduce the effort required to tighten the wheel nuts.

traveler44

Make sure you check to see if you need a thin wall socket. I had to get a thin wall- deep- socket to fit mine. I torque them and then mark the position of the lug nuts with a paint pin that way I can tell at a glance if I have a loose lug nut. Still the best thing you can carry is a cell phone and road service insurance. I have a jack to fit the truck. If I need any more jacks, I figure to buy as needed. I don't like carrying alot of extra weight. Tom M.

porthole

Retired
The ratchet assembly in a torque wrench is no different then a standard ratchet wrench. Has nothing to do with calibration.
Where in can be an issue, especially with electronic or click stop adjusted wrenches is having too low a setting and over driving the setting. They are designed to be a measuring tool, but you can still use it as needed to tighten up your wheels, even if that includes using the ratchet portion to turn the lug nut.

Is there anyone here they ever actually had their torque wrench calibrated?

I had a snap on click stop type and dial indicator type calibrated many years ago. It cost more then the wrench was new. And that was the last time it was calibrated.

lwmcguir

Home Depot sells a nice long 250 pound torque wrench that really works well. I don't like using the cheaper ones that only go to 150 pounds when that is the target torque. Cost about $90 but well worth it. Quality tool. As far as calibration I like to compare wrenches and if they are close then they should be OK.

JohnDar

I picked up two of the Husky Pro torque wrenches at Home Depot. The 250 and the 100 ft-lb ones. The bigger one for the lug nuts and higher torques, the smaller one for the spring bolts. I also like to work in the mid-range of the tool, rather than it's limit. For infrequent use, they should be all you need without taking out a mortgage on one.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I picked up two of the Husky Pro torque wrenches at Home Depot. The 250 and the 100 ft-lb ones. The bigger one for the lug nuts and higher torques, the smaller one for the spring bolts. I also like to work in the mid-range of the tool, rather than it's limit. For infrequent use, they should be all you need without taking out a mortgage on one.

John,I'm not in a position to measure them right now. Do you know what size socket is required for the 3670 lug nuts? Thanks Trace

JohnDar

Sorry, Trace, I don't remember if it's 7/8" or 3/4" and the rig is 10 miles away in storage. The socket is in the tool bag, in the tote, in the covered bed of my truck out front. It's 10 degrees out there and I'm too lazy to go out in the ccccold to look. I know I've got one, though.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry, Trace, I don't remember if it's 7/8" or 3/4" and the rig is 10 miles away in storage. The socket is in the tool bag, in the tote, in the covered bed of my truck out front. It's 10 degrees out there and I'm too lazy to go out in the ccccold to look. I know I've got one, though.

Thanks, I'll just make sure I have a 3/4" & 7/8" with me. I'm also going to buy a new torque wrench. Stay warm.