Major wheel and tire upgrade (need your opinions)

BC1of38

If your going to change rims and tires I would go with 17.5 rims and Michelin tires. They have a diameter that is the same as a Michelin 16" Rib but can handle the weight. Sorry, I am a Michelin fan on all my vehicles. I have never been disappointed yet.

FWIW
BC

Thanks. Yes, the 17.5 inch wheels for sure. Any cause for concern on the 62 mph max ratings on the michelins?

I too like michelins, but was thinking GY or Sumitomo due to 75 mph ratings.

jnbhobe

Thanks. Yes, the 17.5 inch wheels for sure. Any cause for concern on the 62 mph max ratings on the michelins?

I too like michelins, but was thinking GY or Sumitomo due to 75 mph ratings.

I bet they got the 40% safty rating on the speed too!! Just my thoughts!!

TXBobcat

Fulltime

Good observance. My XPS Ribs have a speed rating of 75mph. Didn't think that he 17.5 would be lower. Something to think about.

Thanks
BC

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I personally don't care if a tire has a 75 or 175 mph rating, I'm not going to tow a trailer over 65 at the most, usually 62-63. The truck gets better fuel mileage, and is easier to control and stop.

BC1of38

I personally don't care if a tire has a 75 or 175 mph rating, I'm not going to tow a trailer over 65 at the most, usually 62-63. The truck gets better fuel mileage, and is easier to control and stop.

100 percent agreed. I just like the thought of a tire "rated or engineered" for more than the max speed I am willing to drive. I too only tow at 65 max. But that is 3 mph over what Michelin says they are rated for.
More than likely you could run them at 80 mph and they would be fine, so we may be splitting hairs.

On Scott's reccomendation I am going with the Good Year G114's

Pictures in a month after the Michigan Nascar Race!

Btw. Here is a link I found very informative in regards to tires, etc

http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_Tires_SizeChange.htm

DMitch

I have the 614's and have had no problems with them in 10,000 miles. But if I was going to do it over I would take your option two. I would say if your going that route a few more bucks for the Michlins would be my choice. Question, any clearance issues going to the bigger tires and rims?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW the speed rating of a tire does not mean it will fly apart if you go that speed. It means it is not designed for sustained speeds at that rating. So if it is rated at 65 and you are going downhill and you get to 70 or 75 don't worry if you get back to or below 65 as soon as possible. But do not cruise over the tires speed rating. Be safe.

porthole

Retired
One question for anyone following this thread.

Goodyear OR Sumitomo tires?

American made and quality or Japanese made and quality?????

No question when I got my set, Goodyear 114's

Question, any clearance issues going to the bigger tires and rims?

The 17.5 rims with Goodyear 114's (H rated) are about 1/4" less in overall height then the 16" wheels and E Rated tires that came on our Cyclone.

I had asked Scott for his "honest opinion", if you were buying tires for YOUR trailer which would you get? His answer was a definitive Goodyear 114.

lwmcguir

Brand
Model
Size
Load
Rating
Ply
Rating
Rim
Width
Tire
Width
Outside
Diameter
Max Load
@max psi
Speed
Rating

Goodyear
G614-RST
LT235/85R16
G
3750@110
Bridgestone
R-184
215/75R17.5
H
4805@125
Goodyear
G114-LHT
215/75R17.5
H
4805@125
Hercules
S-209
215/75R17.5
H
4805@125
na
Kumho
KRT02
215/75R17.5
H
4805@125
Michelin
XTA
215/75R17.5
J
4805@120
Sumitomo
ST727
215/75R17.5
H
4805@125

We run some heavy tandems with Goodyear 114's and have hit 6K per tire many times when the cows were very fat. Blew out a few of the Michelins in the same service and lost the tread on a couple. In the 17.5 size go with Goodyear IMHO. Do have some Kumho's that are holding up very well. We are putting GY114's on the Augusta next week.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
BTW the speed rating of a tire does not mean it will fly apart if you go that speed. It means it is not designed for sustained speeds at that rating. So if it is rated at 65 and you are going downhill and you get to 70 or 75 don't worry if you get back to or below 65 as soon as possible. But do not cruise over the tires speed rating. Be safe.

I read somewhere that exceeding the speed rating can actually degrade the molecules of the makeup of the tire, leading to premature wear.

jmgratz

I read somewhere that exceeding the speed rating can actually degrade the molecules of the makeup of the tire, leading to premature wear.

Exceeding the speed rating can and probably will degrade the tire. The point I was trying to make was if a tire is rated at 65 mph and you get up to 68 or 70 passing someone on occasionally little damage will occur. The speed rating for a tire is based on a constant speed. So if you drive 70 mph on a 65 mph rated tire all the time you are tempting fate. Use common sense and don't act stupid when driving and be aware of your equipment.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Exceeding the speed rating can and probably will degrade the tire. The point I was trying to make was if a tire is rated at 65 mph and you get up to 68 or 70 passing someone on occasionally little damage will occur. The speed rating for a tire is based on a constant speed. So if you drive 70 mph on a 65 mph rated tire all the time you are tempting fate. Use common sense and don't act stupid when driving and be aware of your equipment.

Exactly.;) Thanks for clarifying.

BC1of38

Just got back from NASCAR. Pictures tomorrow. What I can tell you about them so far.
1 These wheels and tires are excellent. Solid as a rock. 2. Seemingly great quality. 3. Scott at Trailer Tires and Wheels.com is a solid guy. 4. If you are on the fence, do it!
Pictures tomorrow

hcriddle

I have to agree, I really like my new set. Scott was out and Sam put the tires and wheels on for me. Really nice guy and fast work. When I got ready to leave Goshen yesterday I had a flat. John Firth loaned me his compressor (thanks again John) and I aired it up. Went to a local tire shop and they put it in the bath and found a crack in the wheel on the inside. Thankfully I bought five and had a spare. Called Scott and he asked where I was headed. I gave him the campground name and address and the new wheel arrived at 10am this morning. Scott told me to send him the receipts for mounting the tire on the new wheel and he would send me a check. Can't beat that kind of service with no questions asked.

BC1of38

I have to agree, I really like my new set. Scott was out and Sam put the tires and wheels on for me. Really nice guy and fast work. When I got ready to leave Goshen yesterday I had a flat. John Firth loaned me his compressor (thanks again John) and I aired it up. Went to a local tire shop and they put it in the bath and found a crack in the wheel on the inside. Thankfully I bought five and had a spare. Called Scott and he asked where I was headed. I gave him the campground name and address and the new wheel arrived at 10am this morning. Scott told me to send him the receipts for mounting the tire on the new wheel and he would send me a check. Can't beat that kind of service with no questions asked.

That is great service.

We pulled into Edon at 1am Thursday night/Friday morning, I had joked with Scott via email that maybe sometimes he leaves a plugged in extension cord sticking out under the door?! We arrived and there was an extension cord for us, we had 15amp service, enough for satellite TV and coffee!

We got up the next morning, Scott's son gave us his car and we went for Breakfast, came back, and we were on our way. Absolutely top notch service!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a side note from the rally seminar by Tredit. The Freestar tires on my 2009 BH3670 (G-rated) are a good tire, but the mold is no longer in production. The name replacing them is Geostar. An outside discussion with Tim Ball gives me enough confidence in them to not rush to replace them until they need to be.

jmgratz

Just a side note from the rally seminar by Tredit. The Freestar tires on my 2009 BH3670 (G-rated) are a good tire, but the mold is no longer in production. The name replacing them is Geostar. An outside discussion with Tim Ball gives me enough confidence in them to not rush to replace them until they need to be.

After the number of blow-outs I have seen and had and heard about I am interested in hearing about how the Geostars hold up Keep us posted and we pray you don't experience the damage to your rig that occurs when you have a blowout.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After the number of blow-outs I have seen and had and heard about I am interested in hearing about how the Geostars hold up Keep us posted and we pray you don't experience the damage to your rig that occurs when you have a blowout.

I don't have any information on Geostars, just that the name replaced the Freestars at the end of the mold life. In just about all of the tire problem posts I've read, and I read most of them, the Freestar name is not seen often, if at all. Mission seems to be the name most mentioned. But, I don't move my rig as much as many others, so maybe it's a factor. I recently got a TST system for on the road. I do crawl under my rig and inspect the springs, brake wires, tires (both sides), spare and everything else I can see on a regular basis. I also get my bearings repacked at the end of each season (includes a brake inspection).

When the time comes to replace my tires, I'll probably go with the GY G614's since I've squirrelled away some funds to cover it. It's just not something that has to be done immediately, IMHO. And I've had GY's on passenger vehicles go to an early grave, too.