Major wheel and tire upgrade (need your opinions)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I don't have any information on Geostars, just that the name replaced the Freestars at the end of the mold life. In just about all of the tire problem posts I've read, and I read most of them, the Freestar name is not seen often, if at all. Mission seems to be the name most mentioned. But, I don't move my rig as much as many others, so maybe it's a factor. I recently got a TST system for on the road. I do crawl under my rig and inspect the springs, brake wires, tires (both sides), spare and everything else I can see on a regular basis. I also get my bearings repacked at the end of each season (includes a brake inspection).

When the time comes to replace my tires, I'll probably go with the GY G614's since I've squirrelled away some funds to cover it. It's just not something that has to be done immediately, IMHO. And I've had GY's on passenger vehicles go to an early grave, too.

BTW you can have a blowout with any tire. We even had a blowout with one of our Goodyear G614s. It was just shy of 3 years old, had been properly inflated and we always use a TPMS and travel at speeds lower than 65. I sent in a claim to Goodyear and was reimbursed for the damage to the RV as well as the price of a replacement Goodyear 614. My question is do the Chinese tire manufacturers stand behind their product? My experience is no. When we had 2 blowouts with Chinese made tires the distributor only reimbursed us for the wholesale cost of the tire at $35. each. Comeon now, $35 for a G rated tire. No wonder they fail. Bottom line is yes you can have a failure with a 614 but it is comforting to know the American company will stand behind their product.