May Change to Ford

caissiel

I owned the good and bad 6.2L diesel by GM, I drove it for over 100K miles after the previous owner had it for 100K miles,
I was told they had Head Cracking problems, and the mechanics made a lots of money working on them.
I was even told I needed a head job and I never did do it, and traded the truck in on a 6.5L, again it was to be a bad engine.
The new owner of my 6.2L called me after 3 years and he asked me if I had done the heads.
I asked if the truck was good on fuel, started good in the winter, and was a smooth as before.
He told me he had put 100K miles on it and just rebuild the starter.
Well I told him he had a better truck then my new one and to just drive it.

Well my 6.5L was also a mechanics gold mine, because GM hardly had a chance to get out of the gate with this new GM 6.5L, that people had fuel pump nightmares, and engime block failures.

My GM was flawless for 9 years of ownership, and 200K miles.
I only installed a K&N air filer and one top ball joint and a few brake jobs.
In addition it hauled a 11K GVW 5th wheel for about 100K miles, though it was only rated for 8600 lbs trailer.

I bought this Ford as a lease return from a service company that put 70K miles on it in 2 years.
The first thing I checked is the Hrs vers Miles ratio, it was important to me that the truck had been driven and not idled
The Engine has been flawless, and the EGR was only cleaned once by the previous owner.
I do check the water and the EGR valve often, I carry spare gaskets all the time for it.
The maintenance so far has been nil for the last 3 years,
Its due for a fuel filter change and I change the oil once a year at 8K as the book says.

One important thing I do with all my diesels is that they never Idle for any lenght of time,
Since driving diesels the past 18 years I bet they never idle more then a few hrs, that is in total.
I drive standards, both with my VW and trucks and the key is off by the time the vehicle stops.
The smoke is hardly out of the tail pipe that I am shifted in gear and gone.
That is the advantage of the STD trannies, you have no need to warm up idling, I just drive with light load, in the cold or the freezing cold. Any EGR equiped engine should never be idled and that is for Gas or diesel.
I never alow the water to heat beyond 225F, and full trottle is never required because I shift before with my right hand.
Thats is my experience with all diesels VW, Bad GM's and Bad Ford.

boatdoc

I hate to differ with you, but prior to owning our current Duramax, which by the way has been flawless, we owned a 1998 Dodge Cummins. Hands down, that dodge was the best vehicle we ever owned. We would still have it today, if we had a smaller 5er! Only once in more than ten years did that truck ever give us a problem, it turn out to just be a weak relay! The Cummins engine was a fantastic work horse that never failed, or even stumbled. The transmission also never gave us a problem, even though I know it's Dodge's weak point.

In comparison, I've got many friends who have had major issues with their Fords, to the point they gotten rid of them, because they were tired of breaking down constantly, especially the 6.0...what a joke!

I would venture to guess that I'm certainly not the only with who takes exception to your over zealous remarks....JMHO!

Ken, I don't think they were over zealous remarks!!! They were just down right BASHING remarks and should be stricken from the forum. JMHO
An X MANY Ford owner for over 40 years, Gary

bill40

Before getting my current truck I went to several independent diesel shops in our area. I explained what is was looking for and ask what they had the most repairs on. Buy checking several shops I fell I got a pretty good picture of all three brands. There is no prefect combo and because I ended up with the chevy does not mean it was the best, it was the one that appealed to me. Buy usining independent shops I felt I was getting the best anwser to who had the most problems. Try talking to several of them you may be surprised. Goog luck Bill

Drew

I have owed Fords for at least 40 years and yes they are good but yes they are bad. Transmissions are the weak point of Ford, Chevy has them hands down......Dodge fails to a point of being funny. The powerstroke simply is the industry standard of deisels!!! Cummins is second and I would not give you a dime for a japan made duramax!!!!!!! Our longest lasting powerstroke is 435,000 miles and still going, as a matter of fact of all the powerstrokes ever made (excluding those in major crashes) 95% are still on the road. I really don't even blink at the rusting out dodges....they are the humor of the deisel groups. Less than 45% of the Cummins engines built for the pickup even remain in service, would not even consider one! The transmissions of the Ford, well be prepared to replace it a little more than the rest. I think that the longest mile powerstoke is 1.2 Million.....not to sure how many times rebuilt! Just an opinion...............don't yell at me!!!!!!!
PS My powerstroke will pull the guts out of a Cummins or a Duramax..................GUARANTEED!

Laffin...don't hold back ehh. I have a 7.3 PS and a 6.7 Cummins and have pulled my rig with both trucks. The stock Cummins out pulls the PS with a programer all day long. I love my Ford, but to say the powerstroke is the "industry standard" of diesels is a bit much.

Last edited:

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Ken, I don't think they were over zealous remarks!!! They were just down right BASHING remarks and should be stricken from the forum. JMHO
An X MANY Ford owner for over 40 years, Gary

Don't think the remarks need to be stricken, but I do however, think the poster needs to voice his "opinion" in a less demeaning and "bashing" manner....JMHO! If I told him what I really think about Fords he'd be as insulted as the rest of us are....but my mother told me, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all".

P.S. to Drew....my Kodiak C4500 with a Duramax and Edge with Attitude, can pretty much tow a "building", and blow the doors off just about any other diesel I've seen...gotta love the Chip!! Edge made my old Dodge one of the best towing vehicles I've ever seen...bar none!

linuxkidd

I've had my 2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 6.7L 3.73 rear axle for 1yr and 4 months now. It had 7300 miles on it when I bought it and is now up around 55k. I've had the occasional Service Engine Light, and pulled the codes myself each time. After some quick research on them each time, I found that they were nothing serious and a flash from the dealer will prevent it from coming back.

It's towed my Landmark Augusta like a champ. The 4wd saved my bacon around Xmas time when I tried to get out *ahead* of a blizzard... Turns out one or two tractor trailers loosing traction in the Mountains of VA and W.Va can put a quick kibosh on that... Ended up towing when there was 18" of the white stuff and only the ruts where everyone had driven to guide me. Crazy trip, but the Dodge didn't miss a beat.

This may be my green nature regarding Diesels, but I've never heard bad things about idling one before. I idled mine for 7 hrs on the interstate while waiting for the previously mentioned Rigs to get pulled from the mountain, drove 10mph for 10 miles to the next rest area.. Then idled it for another 8 hrs. The fuel gauge didn't even move 1/8th of a tank! (plus, it kept my RV battery topped up while we ran the furnace all night! ).

Note too that the new Dodge heavy duties come equipped with an Allison 6 speed Automatic and a factory Engine Break that is supposed to have much better back pressure and stopping power than an aftermarket due to the factory fit. I gotta say the engine break is amazing. Even in the Mts of W.Va, I have to apply some throttle to keep it from slowing too much on the down hills.

I opted for the 3.73 rear and SRW because this is a daily driver as well and I wanted the extra fuel efficiency and parking comfort. The towing doesn't seem hurt at all. Anywhere that I have to keep my foot in it to climb the hills, I don't need to be going that fast anyway. I'm always passing other Rigs on those climbs too, so it's holding up well.

I've read horror stories about the first year run on the Dodge's 6.7L CTD and the Turbo / Turbo gate valve doing bad things... At 55k miles, I've not seen it yet.

The new 2500 and 3500 Ram's have been really done up nice on the comfort side too... The interior is amazing, and the front end just looks mean.. I'm really itch'n for one, but don't expect to need one for a good long while.

Hope my stories help a bit, but ultimately.. I think all 3 produce great trucks with some flaws. Don't think you'll go wrong with any one of them.

LK

Edit: Dodge doesn't use Allison transmissions... Thanks for the correct info! :)

Last edited:

GETnBYE

I have owed Fords for at least 40 years and yes they are good but yes they are bad. Transmissions are the weak point of Ford, Chevy has them hands down......Dodge fails to a point of being funny. The powerstroke simply is the industry standard of deisels!!! Cummins is second and I would not give you a dime for a japan made duramax!!!!!!! Our longest lasting powerstroke is 435,000 miles and still going, as a matter of fact of all the powerstrokes ever made (excluding those in major crashes) 95% are still on the road. I really don't even blink at the rusting out dodges....they are the humor of the deisel groups. Less than 45% of the Cummins engines built for the pickup even remain in service, would not even consider one! The transmissions of the Ford, well be prepared to replace it a little more than the rest. I think that the longest mile powerstoke is 1.2 Million.....not to sure how many times rebuilt! Just an opinion...............don't yell at me!!!!!!!
PS My powerstroke will pull the guts out of a Cummins or a Duramax..................GUARANTEED!

I was reading your reply out loud to my hubby and he was yelling "Amen". This post may get heated, as these guys think of their truck as their baby! Hope to lighten it up a bit. Don't flame me, please.
Also, we have "owed" Ford for about 25 years ourselves with buying for us and the kids over the years!! Just teasing, I knew what you meant.
Nita

Last edited:

Jellystone

Linuxkidd, FYI on the idle thing-with these newer environmentaly friendly diesels it is not good to idle them for long periods of time. The gov't has made them put "particulate(?) filters" on them for exhaust emission control. This filter traps particles and later burns them off in a so called green process. I'm no expert on the filter but i've heard that it can cost a pretty penny to continue to go to the dealership for them to perform the filter cleaning process to get you back on the road. The engine starts running real bad when the particulate(?) filter stops up & your message center on your truck will alert you when its trying to purge it itself or if it needs to be brought in for service. I don't idle mine more than necessary. -By the way, great work on the "new look" of the forum, thanks for your efforts.

Elevatorman

I also agree that the long idle thing CAN cause some problems with the Dodge. But since it is a good idea to warm the tranny a short time prior to driving, I guess it's a necessary evil. Early on I got "turbo lag" codes, and Dodge told me to use the exhaust brake all the time to keep the heat up in the turbo, that I couldn't hurt it. I was worried that I had a lemon, but it was explained as super close tolerances in the turbo. Funny, Mercedes has had it right for years! I bought the Dodge for the Cummins 6.7. Yes it's a "stump puller", and the only factory exhaust brake at the time. It has done well, gets decent mileage, and hopefully will outlast the extended warranty! The same spirit here in this thread reminds me of being at a Nascar race. We all love OUR brand, but will still stick together through our common interests. BUY AMERICAN!

HarleyRyder

Retired Gunslinger
Just a quick note about automatic transmissions in Dodge trucks. Beginning in 2007, Dodge changed to a "68RFE" automatic built in their Kokomo Indiana plant. These transmissions are used behind the 6.7 Cummins in the 2500 and 3500 series. The other automatic transmission is an "Aisin" with PTO capabilities that is built in Japan. The Aisin is used in the 4500 and 5500 Dodge trucks and the 3500 cab and chassis.
From what I have read the Aisin very closely copies the Allison transmission.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
To the original poster about the 3670rl bighorn. I have a 2010 3670rl bighorn. I pull it with a 2004 ford 6.0 diesel truck, long wheel base, 3/4 ton. I do live in south louisiana and pull mostly on flat land. Have been to ozark mtns. In ark and to southern missouri pulling the rv. No problem in those hills. You might say i'm overloaded the truck but figure ford has a safety factor and i'm just pushing that limit a hair. I have 88,000 miles at this time. Really no problems with the truck other than a couple of egr problems which were under warranty. Have had the blue turbo hose replaced twice so far.

Netem

HarleyRyder, You are right, Dodge does not have the Allison in their trucks as Micheal said it is a close copy.

porthole

Retired
How many different diesels have been in furd trucks since the 90'? 16 or there abouts?

Not that I plan on buying one, but beside the obvious many new features of the 2011 GM's - is the wider track. That should go a long way to making an already decent ride that much better.

linuxkidd

Hey all,
Thanks for the correction on the transmission. I guess I heard wrong on that one.

Regarding the Diesel Particulate Filter... It will indeed show on the electronics cluster if that thing is get'n full. The good thing is that all ya gotta do is run at highway speeds for more than about 5 minutes and it starts burning it back out. With the towing I was doing at that point ( 16k pounds of landmark going through the Mtns of W.Va ), it had no problem keep'n the EGT high enough to burn that thing out.

Thanks for all the great info, and thanks to everyone for keep'n thing civil on the brand discussions.. :)

LK

navyAZ1

If you really like your Duramax, why not consider the Chevy C4500...have had ours since July 07, without any problems, and the Allison tranny is bullet proof!

I have considered that but I was told GM has discontinued the Kodiak, and Top Kick lines and I have not been able to find any used ones I would be interested in.

navyAZ1

Well folks, after looking at the F-450 I have decided to stay with GM. Without causing a big fuss let me just say I prefer my duramax and the interior of our truck much better than the Ford. It is just my taste, so if we do change I believe we will stay with GM. Thanks for all your input and help.

Ron & Ann

RollingHome

Do any of you know of a chip that I can install in my Cheby LMM diesel (I believe this is the newest model GMC diesel) that WILL NOT void the factory warranty "IF" something goes kaboom ? I know there are super dooper chips that provide a gazillion more HP's & torque. I also know that any GM dealer can extract engine performance history out of the on board computer "AFTER" the engine blows up and after I replaced the super dooper chip with the factory OEM chip to "FOOL" them into thinking I am an innocent customer who's engine just happen to launch out of the truck {How's that for a run on sentence:)}. I am impressed with the stock motor power... but like most guys, I have the Tim Allen complex... MORE POWER. If you know of one please let me know how to get one. Also if you can tell me proof positive it's "approved" In advance, Thanks.

By the way, I think ALL the companies make at least one good model TV & engine combo and each one has that special "Thing" that get's us to buy. I stopped argueing brands when I used to have all my hair and that was really a long time ago. The one thing I wish is they would just lower the price of diesels. I mean common, as somebody stated "GMC made 1 million diesels so far" Then why do they cost so much ? I'm just glad they don't put Cat's in consumer trucks... The TV would cost more then the RV ! Just ask any boat owner who has twin Cat diesels. Tally Ho.

Northern Virginia
Based on my reading on Diesel Place, there isn't a chip you can install that GM will not know about if you need warranty work.
I have driven my GMC for two years now and power is not a deficiency in these vehicles. The 26 gallon fuel tank is another matter. (Although GM has just changed to a stock 36 gal tank on the 2011).
I also have a Tim Allen complex but the stock truck performs so well towing, I would never chip it and risk my warranty. There is no reason to.

John

escs36

i think all the trucks are great. i prefer ford. it is all a matter of what you like and need. i like ford looks and the simplicity of them. GM's have too many gadgets and computer crap for me. i also think they are hideous. i have read that the duramax runs great. dodge's look good but are too light weight. i would never own a dodge. i want my trucks to last. my perfect truck...ford truck, allison trans and cummins power plant. until then, i will stick with 7.3 powerstrokes.