May Change to Ford

RollingHome

Thanks John, that's what I assumed until I read "somewhere/s" (more then once) there are chips that the factory will not challenge the owner on. I will NOT mess with the OEM chip. I agree with your opinion of the LMM's power, IMO it surpasses earlier years. I also seem to be doing good on the fuel burn, especially for a new truck and all the "gagetry". In fact it seems to be better then earlier years that do not have "the new and improved soot burner". If I keep my foot out of it and not towing, it does fine for a 3500HD DRW. The great part is, I expect it to get better with age. I'm not brand loyal, I'm Tom loyal - too old and wiser to let emotions control my buying decision. I looked at all the brands. I believe the new Ford diesel solved the problems of earlier models and it's a nice looking truck, so is the Dodge. When the smoke cleared I choose the Chevy, I'm happy so far.

bill40

Thanks John, that's what I assumed until I read "somewhere/s" (more then once) there are chips that the factory will not challenge the owner on. I will NOT mess with the OEM chip. I agree with your opinion of the LMM's power, IMO it surpasses earlier years. I also seem to be doing good on the fuel burn, especially for a new truck and all the "gagetry". In fact it seems to be better then earlier years that do not have "the new and improved soot burner". If I keep my foot out of it and not towing, it does fine for a 3500HD DRW. The great part is, I expect it to get better with age. I'm not brand loyal, I'm Tom loyal - too old and wiser to let emotions control my buying decision. I looked at all the brands. I believe the new Ford diesel solved the problems of earlier models and it's a nice looking truck, so is the Dodge. When the smoke cleared I choose the Chevy, I'm happy so far.

Hi Tom, I have the Banks system, my dealer has never refused to fix anything because of it. I believe this is do to a long term relationship. I have heard GM has put out a bulletin on chips. After 75000+ miles I will admit other than mpg increase you don't need the extra power. It's like my 260Z don't need the 500hp but it is nice knowing its there ( old men and there toys :cool:).

PUG

Pug
I have been a Chevy Duramax fan for many years and never had a problem. Recently I wanted to go to a 1 ton with Dually's and found I could not get the Chev in a short bed and the Ford, well let's say I have heard to many horror stories about problems with the engine and service not to mention they are totally going to a different and new engine this next year that has been untested but will probably be fine. I had a Dodge 30 years ago and it was a piece of crap but I have talked to numerous Dodge owners over the last three years and they have definitely cleaned up their act along with having the cummins engine ( I used to drive truck and it and Cat were my favorite engine). We looked and compared and drove all three and decided the best truck in ur opinion was the Dodge. We bought a 3500 Megacab, 4 x 4 Cummi 6.7L . We found the Dodge has several features that appear to be for the RVer and the quality has been excellent. The engine is bulletproof, the trans is as good or better than the Chevy and it rides better than I thought it would but not as good as the Chevy but better than the Ford. The Jacobs brake is a big plus and comes standard. It is something you should take a look at. I didn't think I would go with one but after doing comparisons and driving them and talking with numerous RVers I had to change my mind and am glad I did.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
The engine is bulletproof, the trans is as good or better than the Chevy and it rides better than I thought it would but not as good as the Chevy but better than the Ford. The Jacobs brake is a big plus and comes standard. It is something you should take a look at. I didn't think I would go with one but after doing comparisons and driving them and talking with numerous RVers I had to change my mind and am glad I did.

I really can't argue with the "Bulletproof" engine as the Cummins still reins supreme but to say the Dodge tranny is equal OR BETTER than the Allison.... SORRY, exception must be taken with that statement.

I have been a truck-guy for multitudes, (OK, so not as an RVer) talked with fellow truckers for decades (Med., duty and up) and the one thing we always seem to agree with is this perfect truck scenario:
A) Dodge Cummins Engine. (The WORST CHASSIS, Transmissions have had major issues!)
B) Chevy Allison Tranny. (Engine is a strong second place and chassis could beef-up a little)
C) Ford Chassis. (Best frame, so-so engine and ditto on the tranny)
Equals the best overall truck you could ever hope to own!
:angel:

lwmcguir

I really can't argue with the "Bulletproof" engine as the Cummins still reins supreme but to say the Dodge tranny is equal OR BETTER than the Allison.... SORRY, exception must be taken with that statement.

I have been a truck-guy for multitudes, (OK, so not as an RVer) talked with fellow truckers for decades (Med., duty and up) and the one thing we always seem to agree with is this perfect truck scenario:
A) Dodge Cummins Engine. (The WORST CHASSIS, Transmissions have had major issues!)
B) Chevy Allison Tranny. (Engine is a strong second place and chassis could beef-up a little)
C) Ford Chassis. (Best frame, so-so engine and ditto on the tranny)
Equals the best overall truck you could ever hope to own!
:angel:

Interesting for sure as we have ran Fords for the past 50 years or so. Have all Series in mostly Diesel. The frames were always better than any of the others and since the Super Duty series, even heavier. No issues what so ever with them. Have had good luck with the Torque Lock but still have to rebuild them around 150K or so which could be better. Allison is definitely the best in most cases. We have Cummins in the Tractors and so on and you cant beat that engine. Easy to over haul and last a long time. Ford is coming out with a Cummins in a F150 and you can order one such as ours in the F550 and up series. Can also get a Cat if you like. Bottom line is they all cost to much.

Delaine and Lindy

Great comments and most owners will recomend what ever they are driving at the time. Most of the time the threads will turn into mine is better that your so on and so forth, which is what happens on the Big board. Its great to see that this thread hasn't gotten to that. The answer is drive them all and make your on decision, its really a personal choice. As for a Cat diesel engine, it appears that Cat decided they just didn't want to do to the Cat Diesel engine what the Big 3 has and will continue to do to meet EPA standards. They don't build over the road engines any longer and thats sad. Yes, I know Cummins hasn't gone to the dark side yet but they will when they use up their emissons credits. I also see that Navistar will start building Class 4 & 5 Trucks. Good Luck with your choice. If your happy thats all that matters. GBY....

AZ1, I went thru one of the first A schools for this designation in Memphis 1964. I have a 2005 Duramax 2500 with 39, 000 miles, last year had to have the unit towed because the turbo pipe came off. Had to replace that $$$$. Recently was advised that the gear box needed to be replaced $757.00 I think I'll clean it up and take a had look at the F-450's (used) 2008?

navyAZ1

Do any of you know of a chip that I can install in my Cheby LMM diesel (I believe this is the newest model GMC diesel) that WILL NOT void the factory warranty "IF" something goes kaboom ? I know there are super dooper chips that provide a gazillion more HP's & torque. I also know that any GM dealer can extract engine performance history out of the on board computer "AFTER" the engine blows up and after I replaced the super dooper chip with the factory OEM chip to "FOOL" them into thinking I am an innocent customer who's engine just happen to launch out of the truck {How's that for a run on sentence:)}. I am impressed with the stock motor power... but like most guys, I have the Tim Allen complex... MORE POWER. If you know of one please let me know how to get one. Also if you can tell me proof positive it's "approved" In advance, Thanks.

By the way, I think ALL the companies make at least one good model TV & engine combo and each one has that special "Thing" that get's us to buy. I stopped argueing brands when I used to have all my hair and that was really a long time ago. The one thing I wish is they would just lower the price of diesels. I mean common, as somebody stated "GMC made 1 million diesels so far" Then why do they cost so much ? I'm just glad they don't put Cat's in consumer trucks... The TV would cost more then the RV ! Just ask any boat owner who has twin Cat diesels. Tally Ho.

I use the Hypertech tuner it is said to be the best one for the Duramax. Along with my Hypertech unit when I purchased it was a card in the box stating that "no manufacturer can void your warranty for using this product". However, they also stated that you should return the computer back to factory standards so the dealer tech won't get erroneous codes when they run their test, since when the Hypertech is installed it can confuse the dealers code reader if things aren't set at the factory settings.:D

DMitch

Attached is a Chevrolet Dealer service bulletin. It should answer the question as to whether or not GM can tell if your truck has been re-programmed or not. I guess it would be up to the dealer if they inforce this or not. I thought it might be interesting reading.

Attachments

• GM Service Bullet&.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 53

bill40

Attached is a Chevrolet Dealer service bulletin. It should answer the question as to whether or not GM can tell if your truck has been re-programmed or not. I guess it would be up to the dealer if they inforce this or not. I thought it might be interesting reading.
Thanks Dan that is the one I refered to

Drew

I have a Dodge and a Ford. Both great trucks. The GM HD's ugly and not my taste, but, they are every bit as good as the others. If everyone would buy what they like and take care of it, they are all great. I work in the auto repair world and see them all, just for different things.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
Vehicles are a personnel preference just like RV's at least we all agree on Heartland. Maybe that's wye Baskin Robins hase 31 flavors.

bill40

I have a Dodge and a Ford. Both great trucks. The GM HD's ugly and not my taste, but, they are every bit as good as the others. If everyone would buy what they like and take care of it, they are all great. I work in the auto repair world and see them all, just for different things.

Amen Drew!!!!

porthole

Retired
Attached is a Chevrolet Dealer service bulletin. It should answer the question as to whether or not GM can tell if your truck has been re-programmed or not. I guess it would be up to the dealer if they enforce this or not. I thought it might be interesting reading.

Interesting how according to the bulletin they will flat out deny a warranty claim, which flat out goes against the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act.

tmcran

You better have deep pockets if you want to fight GM or any manufacture on this. Ford has the same type of bulletinn out also.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
All I know is I've had my Kodiak to the dealer several times for warranty work, with the Edge perfectly visible, and not one word was said and coverage was never denied. As long as the problem is NOT caused by the chip, they will have a hard time denying coverage...as per the Magnuson Moss Act.

Northern Virginia
Did you have any power-train warranty work done? That is where a chip will get you in trouble.

lwmcguir

Buy enough truck and you wont have to start adding things. We run a stock F550 and it does all we need and then some. Same goes for the lighter ones as well. If you over torque any of the small Diesels you will shorten their life span. If you need more power, either get a larger truck or heavier one and you will live with out worrying about what is going to break next.