May Change to Ford

Just a bit of info some of you may have already heard but I didn't see it in previous post. The New Emissions that go in to effect this year are going to cause NEW GM and Ford and some larger RAM to go to a UREA additive that has to be added to a reservoir and will be mixed with the fuel in order to meet the new standards. (UREA is similar in chemical properties to URINE, When burned it changes to ammonia and supposedly there isn't a way to bypass the process. The system would know and shut you down. Even Urine itself would not work.) Dodge met (and still meets) the new standards back in 2007 on their 2500 and 3500 6.7 diesels by use of certain metals in their exhaust system that caused the exhaust to burn clean. This new additive will cause a storage tank of approx 8 gals to be added to the system for the co-fueling. The last cost of the UREA solution I heard was @ 2.75 a gal (not verified price). From what I've read for every 100 gal diesel fuel that is used 2 to 4 gals of urea solution will be used. When the solution level gets low a warning light will come on announcing the low level (approx 1000 miles left). If the tank runs empty one of two things are supposed to happen depending on the vehicle,, You would be curbed and allowed to run 5 mph until the solution is replenished or the engine would continue to run until the switch is turned off and then wouldn't restart. I think some of the larger Dodge trucks ( >1 ton ) are going to have to go to it also. Don't take my word for this info if you are buying a new truck. Do a Google search on 'Diesel Exhaust Fluid' and read it for yourselves. The info I have written was found on the internet so I don't want to misquote and mislead anyone. Purchasing a New Vehicle is a major expenditure. I have always been a Hard Core GM guy but just bought a new Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4, partly based on this info but primarily because I got the best deal by going with the RAM. I was considering a Chevy 2500 but the salesman at the dealership could not tell me anything about the UREA solution on new trucks coming out. ALSO, I didn't want to have to haul UREA Solution around with me and as forgetful as I am I didn't want to mess up and forget to put the UREA Solution in.. Best for me to just get something that didnt need it.. LOL... Good Luck with whatever you buy.

sunflower

I'll believe a F150 with a Cummins as soon as the" Ford owns Cummins" becomes true.a little research soon dispells both.I had 1 ford and 3 dodge diesels,the Cummins was the best by far and the dodge trucks were less trouble then the Ford.What do I drive now a Ford F150 because I think it is the best for me.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
You still have one more year to buy the Ford Triton V-10, the only gas engine made for towing. I'm a Dodge truck man but this Ford is more heavy duty (and heavy) and pulls better than Dodge I've owned. The diesels are in a transition period for sure.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a 2010 Ford Diesel and it does not have a urea tank. Nothing to add but diesel fuel and the other standard fluid (ie oil, power steering etc)

I think the emission standards come into effect early during this year. So current 2010 models are the last to get by without it.

beaverfan

Oregonian
I have a 2008 F-350 Superduty (diesel) 4x4 DRW and pull a 37' Landmark. We have full timed since December. I have concerns with the GCWR as the scales tell me I'm at 25,400. According to owners manual I should not exceed 23,500. I have been thinking of moving up to a F-450 also. Motor wise (6.4 Turbo V-8) it has plenty of power. I've been into the Ford dealer twice since December for warrenty work. First time was when the pickup died caused by a short in the fuel pump cover. Second time was because of a crack in a weld on the torque converter causing loss of transmission fluid. I can't directly relate these problems to weight I'm pulling.
I think another advantage of the F-450 is bigger wheels and brake pads. I also have thought about installing the new Banks Speed Brake on my F-350 to give me greater braking capacity.

nscaler2

I have a 2008 F-350 Superduty (diesel) 4x4 DRW and pull a 37' Landmark. We have full timed since December. I have concerns with the GCWR as the scales tell me I'm at 25,400. According to owners manual I should not exceed 23,500. I have been thinking of moving up to a F-450 also. Motor wise (6.4 Turbo V-8) it has plenty of power. I've been into the Ford dealer twice since December for warrenty work. First time was when the pickup died caused by a short in the fuel pump cover. Second time was because of a crack in a weld on the torque converter causing loss of transmission fluid. I can't directly relate these problems to weight I'm pulling.
I think another advantage of the F-450 is bigger wheels and brake pads. I also have thought about installing the new Banks Speed Brake on my F-350 to give me greater braking capacity.
Check it out. The Banks speed brake only works with GM products. Wish I could put one on my Ford too.

lwmcguir

Just a bit of info some of you may have already heard but I didn't see it in previous post. The New Emissions that go in to effect this year are going to cause NEW GM and Ford and some larger RAM to go to a UREA additive that has to be added to a reservoir and will be mixed with the fuel in order to meet the new standards. (UREA is similar in chemical properties to URINE, When burned it changes to ammonia and supposedly there isn't a way to bypass the process. The system would know and shut you down. Even Urine itself would not work.) Dodge met (and still meets) the new standards back in 2007 on their 2500 and 3500 6.7 diesels by use of certain metals in their exhaust system that caused the exhaust to burn clean. This new additive will cause a storage tank of approx 8 gals to be added to the system for the co-fueling. The last cost of the UREA solution I heard was @ 2.75 a gal (not verified price). From what I've read for every 100 gal diesel fuel that is used 2 to 4 gals of urea solution will be used. When the solution level gets low a warning light will come on announcing the low level (approx 1000 miles left). If the tank runs empty one of two things are supposed to happen depending on the vehicle,, You would be curbed and allowed to run 5 mph until the solution is replenished or the engine would continue to run until the switch is turned off and then wouldn't restart. I think some of the larger Dodge trucks ( >1 ton ) are going to have to go to it also. Don't take my word for this info if you are buying a new truck. Do a Google search on 'Diesel Exhaust Fluid' and read it for yourselves. The info I have written was found on the internet so I don't want to misquote and mislead anyone. Purchasing a New Vehicle is a major expenditure. I have always been a Hard Core GM guy but just bought a new Ram 2500 Diesel 4X4, partly based on this info but primarily because I got the best deal by going with the RAM. I was considering a Chevy 2500 but the salesman at the dealership could not tell me anything about the UREA solution on new trucks coming out. ALSO, I didn't want to have to haul UREA Solution around with me and as forgetful as I am I didn't want to mess up and forget to put the UREA Solution in.. Best for me to just get something that didnt need it.. LOL... Good Luck with whatever you buy.

Urea is liquid ammonia fertilizer that is widely used and available. To use in in the trucks it is diluted with pure water. The solution will freeze at very low temperatures creating other issues. This has to be the stupidiest thing that could have happened to the Diesel Trucks and caused by our government not knowing what they are doing.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Are u sure on that? I had a 99 Ford with a Banks exhaust brake.

Jim, the following is something I got from Banks web site.

With its patented technology the SpeedBrake controls your transmission's shifting, locks and unlocks the torque converter and infinitely varies the VG turbo's vanes to hold your set speed and maximize stopping performance to ensure that you have the safety and confidence for the long haul.

Peace
Dave

nhunter

Urea is liquid ammonia fertilizer that is widely used and available. To use in in the trucks it is diluted with pure water. The solution will freeze at very low temperatures creating other issues. This has to be the stupidiest thing that could have happened to the Diesel Trucks and caused by our government not knowing what they are doing.
Yep it will be real nice in the winter. Will probably have an anti idle shut down so you can't warm it up either. But then I see the idiots with the hopped up diesel pick ups belching huge black clouds of smoke at the traffic lights and think I have them to thank.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, the following is something I got from Banks web site.

With its patented technology the SpeedBrake controls your transmission's shifting, locks and unlocks the torque converter and infinitely varies the VG turbo's vanes to hold your set speed and maximize stopping performance to ensure that you have the safety and confidence for the long haul.

Peace
Dave

I guess the speed brake is not the same as the exhaust brake. The exhaust brake does not control the transmission. Back in 99 when I got the Banks system they called it the Trans-command and Smart Lock (for the the torque converter). The exhaust brake is put in the exhaust manifold. I was completely happy with the Banks Power Pak we had. With the 2010 Ford 6.4 I am afraid to do any modifications as they computer in it reads just about everything. I was told by my Ford dealer that any modification could effect the emission system and void the warranty. Besides it seems to have ample power for towing without modification.

porthole

Retired
Jim - the Banks "Speed Brake" is strictly an electronic control. It operates by controlling the "VGT" (variable geometry turbo), essentially closing down the the turbo vanes to form the required back pressure. The computer "add on" also controls the transmission, torque convertor lock up, shift points etc.

There are multiple levels and in the the high position without a load it is very uncomfortable as it is very aggressive, but it is doing what it is supposed to do.

I had it on my truck but had nothing but problems. Over a period of 8 weeks I swapped out every part at least once and never solved my problems. Eventually I removed the kit and returned it.

When it worked it worked great, when it was acting up it was detrimental to the trucks longevity.

navyAZ1

Boy I started something with this thread, any way just wanted to let y'all know that we have decided to stay away from the new trucks. We found a 2006 Chevy 3500 Duramax Crew Cab with only 40,000 miles on it so we traded our 07 2500 for this. It was owned by a fellow whose daughter was into horses for a couple of years then quit so he didn't need the truck any longer. Nice thing is my Hypertech tuner I used on my 07 works on this truck also they both have the same engine 6.6 LBZ. We had to decide between a bigger truck or a new BH 3670 we figured the truck should come first. See y'all at the Rally.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I have NEVER bought a new truck! DO NOT want to take the loss. Went to look at a 2008 F350 DRW Lariate package with 4950 miles (yes 4950 miles) and they wanted 43,000.00. TOO MUCH!

lwmcguir

The older heavy duty trucks are most likely going up in value due to the new imission standards the 2011 trucks will have. Good reason to find a low mileage older unit if you can. (prefferabley a Super Duty)