Measels on our Aluminum Rims

Bob Vaughn

After our trip to Alaska our aluminum rims on our 2011 Big Country look like this
IMG_3554.jpg

Does any one know how to fix this to restore the shine to the rims?

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

They are aluminum so they will polish out with aluminum polish. However I think they have a seal coating on them so you'll need to strip it down or put a lot of elbow grease into it.
Some truck stop have guys that will polish the aluminum on the big rigs.
You might ask around and get lucky.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
After our trip to Alaska our aluminum rims on our 2011 Big Country look like this
View attachment 50407

Does any one know how to fix this to restore the shine to the rims?

That is corrosion that has set in the scratches in the protective coating on the base metal. The only thing you can do is to try to clean the corrosion out with a mild abrasive (baking soda and water) and then buff with a good polish like Flitz. If you do not get and keep control of the corrosion, it can be detrimental to the strength of the rims. If pitting is indicated after cleaning, I would recommend replacing all affected rims.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You might just check with Tredit, the wheel Distributor. It could be a defect in the coating, and they may cover it. Never hurts to ask. Wheels have lifetime warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

You know, I watch the "Wheeler Dealers" automobile restoration show a lot on the "Velocity" channel. They have done shows both in the UK and USA and regularly have wheels restored to like-new appearance by specialized vendors. Maybe some internet research is in order here.

I just did a Google on "Automobile wheel restoration Seffner Fl." and got some good looking hits there and in Tampa.

MP_CS

Trailer wheels and tires.com. Before i payed anyone to refinish them id buy new ones. Trailer wheels are fairly reasonably priced. My buddy owns a trucking company and pays about $50 a wheel to have them professionally buffed, then a year later again, then again, you see the pattern right, lol.. Once the sealer is off them there going to take constant maintenance to keep them shiny.

carl.swoyer

The finish I believe is an applied finish. That being said you might want to have them stripped and and a new finish applied.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

hoefler

Most likely they are powder coated, poorly at that. Have them stripped, then polished. Then take them directly to a reputable powder coater. I have powder coated many wheel.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Corrosion of clear coated aluminum wheels is nothing new. I was involved in a failure analysis project back in the '80's when our luxury cars being shipped out west were arriving with flat tires. Seems the supplier of the tire mounting lube had changed the viscosity by adding salt to it (without consulting us). Had some great photos of filiform corrosion in the report. Ended his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk