Mice

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
As some may know, I've been a proponent of the MouseFree product for a while. Still am. But we've been catching mice in our rig even though I recently resprayed the frame and anything touching the ground. Really "cheezed" me off until the light came on. The one place I didn't spray was the pinbox opening. There are two large holes in there, one of which has a wire conduit passing out of it. The other nothing. What the little buggers have been doing is climbing up the chain I have looped over the pin frame to secure our bicycles.

Earlier this spring, I heard a starling nest inside the one hole, so I sealed it up with tape...no more chirping. But I left the other one open. My mistake. So, I'm going to seal it around the wire conduit and spray it well. May just respray the rest of the rig, just for good measure in case I missed a spot.

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
John, what do you do to get rid of the mice you have? With cats, I haven't seen evidence of one inside. But the cats stare at the vent under the stairs, and at night their ears perk up, so I know we might have some unwelcome guests. I've tried traps and caught one or two in the basement area. But I can't figure out where they are hiding that drives my cats bonkers. The cats stare at the bottom of the kitchen slide, where the seal is, at night. I've checked behind the kitchen drawers in that slide, and no sign of any varmits there. Suggestions? I am afraid to put out poison, just in case a poisoned mouse decided to come inside and die, for my cats to find.

TravelTiger

alexb2000

What keeps them from looking for water IN your trailer? Like the cat's water dish?

Uummmm, I don't know, how about the cats?;)

I don't leave the water out when we are not using the trailer. When we are using it, mice haven't been a problem with the dogs water even though they would love a reason for a good chase they don't have to go outside for.

TravelTiger

Uummmm, I don't know, how about the cats?;)

I don't leave the water out when we are not using the trailer. When we are using it, mice haven't been a problem with the dogs water even though they would love a reason for a good chase they don't have to go outside for.

Well, yes, the cats I guess "deter" them from coming into the rig. However, we are fulltimers and the cats sleep with us. But sometimes they dash downstairs in the middle of the night because they "heard something". I would hate for a dying mouse to make a dash for the water bowl at 3AM (since no cats are around) only to be discovered by my furr-boys while I am sleeping. Is that an irrational fear?:confused:

alexb2000

Well, yes, the cats I guess "deter" them from coming into the rig. However, we are fulltimers and the cats sleep with us. But sometimes they dash downstairs in the middle of the night because they "heard something". I would hate for a dying mouse to make a dash for the water bowl at 3AM (since no cats are around) only to be discovered by my furr-boys while I am sleeping. Is that an irrational fear?:confused:

I don't know I would call the company of any poison I planned to use and ask before I would risk it. I can say that I find dead mice around my vehicles all the time due to the bait, so far the dogs could care less (probably because they eat like gourmets), but it is always a concern with any pet.

There are always traps, but I am not always around to manage them, that's why I use the bait.

JohnDar

John, what do you do to get rid of the mice you have? With cats, I haven't seen evidence of one inside. But the cats stare at the vent under the stairs, and at night their ears perk up, so I know we might have some unwelcome guests. I've tried traps and caught one or two in the basement area. But I can't figure out where they are hiding that drives my cats bonkers. The cats stare at the bottom of the kitchen slide, where the seal is, at night. I've checked behind the kitchen drawers in that slide, and no sign of any varmits there. Suggestions? I am afraid to put out poison, just in case a poisoned mouse decided to come inside and die, for my cats to find.

Erika, the mice have not been entering the living spaces of the rig, other than under the bedroom dresser and the kitchen counter under the sink. And there have been a couple in the basement behind the wall. Rather than using poison, I've been setting the black plastic snap traps, baited with peanut butter. The dead ones get tossed in the trash. The couple of live ones caught by a leg or tail end up getting tossed outside. If the trap snaps on any part of them (other than tail) and they're not immediately dead, they will be eventually. Those traps are pretty strong. Easier to set than the old wire snap traps and they're reusable.

TravelTiger

Sadly, I think we got a supermouse. Pulled off of 2 glue traps and broke out of 2 of the black circular traps.

Like I said, since the cats are staring at the kitchen slide seal, I'm not exactly sure where to put a trap for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnDar

We place dryer sheets on the floor when the trailer is in storage. Haven't had any mice since then.

Tried that several years ago. All I got was dryer sheets with mouse crap and urine on them.

- - - Updated - - -

Sadly, I think we got a supermouse. Pulled off of 2 glue traps and broke out of 2 of the black circular traps.

Like I said, since the cats are staring at the kitchen slide seal, I'm not exactly sure where to put a trap for that.

Victor Pest makes an electronic trap that electrocutes them when they crawl inside. You bait it with peanut butter and set it where they appear to be coming in. Has a collection "bin" that will hold up to 10 dead mice. Cats can't get into it, so there's no danger to them. Not cheap, though.

I have one but have yet to catch a mouse in it. They seem to prefer the open snap traps with peanut butter. So long as there's a way in, no trap is going to eliminate them. You need to figure out where they're coming in and seal the gap. Perhaps adding a hard rubber sweep under the kitchen slide that rises up to the bottom of the slide to close it off.

TravelTiger

I understand. We had rope lights around the rig earlier in the year and didn't have any. But got lazy when we went on a few trips this summer. Need to get them out again.

mlpeloquin

I understand. We had rope lights around the rig earlier in the year and didn't have any. But got lazy when we went on a few trips this summer. Need to get them out again.

We were in a mountain desert area this year and we had out our rope lights. Around ten PM I take the dogs out for there last walk. The rope lights seemed to attract the desert cockroaches. I stomped on eight or nine of the buggers each night. My UDC was sealed off so I wasn't too worried. I also noticed none around rigs without rope lights and some around rigs with the rope lights. No mice though, and the dead roaches were gone in the morning. A lot of birds and ground squirrels around the area so I assumed they got consumed. Thank a praise for not having any of the wild life in my rig! I also noticed that none were anywhere near the trash cans bins.

MurrayN.

I have used cotton balls with food grade peppermint oil sprinkled on them for years and no mice. Put them everywhere. Holes where lines go through the floor, compartments, any cracks or openings. The peppermint oil is not offensive and works .

HornedToad

X2...

I tried several different ways to get rid of mice in a rent house... The peppermint oil finally worked. Just be sure not to set the cotton balls directly on wood or fabric as it could stain. I set them out in small plastic cups.

JohnDar

The MouseFree is laced with peppermint oil. Like I've said, it works so long as you don't leave any gaps or miss something. Since I removed the bikes and chain before we left last Wednesday, we'll see if there are any new visitors when we go back to the rig next week.

TravelTiger

I have used peppermint essential oils as well. But as the smell dissipates, I think they come back. (Still have cats jumping up in middle of the night)