Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota

8amps

We are traveling from Elkhart, IN to West Yellowstone, MT and have approximately 10-14 days. We originally had more time, but had a couple unexpected delays so it's shortened our time considerably. Wanted to travel through Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are so many wonderful things to chose from... not sure whether we should try to stop several places for 1 night each (closer together so can have a look around) or just hit a few places and stay a couple of days. Right now thinking of Mackinaw City (3 nights). Would it be feasible to make a day trip (without rig) from Mackinaw City to Sault Ste Marie? One day there, one day Mackinaw Island. If we spend 3 nights, we'd really only have a 2 days of sightseeing time, depending on what time we arrive in Mackinaw City. Would Munising be a good point to explore Pictured Rocks?
Our original plan (when we had more time) was going to be somewhere on West Coast of Michigan (Ludington and perhaps Traverse City), Mackinaw City, Sault Ste Marie, Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, Copper Harbor. Now that our time is shorter, I don't know what to skip this time. We plan to be back up here next year. But I could use some help with this new, shorter time frame. Nothing is fixed, so would welcome any thoughts on what we do not want to miss. That applies to Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota too.Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
From where we spend the summer, Mackinaw and Macinaw Island are 30
minutes away, The Soo Locks and Taquamenon Falls are about 90 minutes. Pictured Rocks is about 3 hours. There are campgrounds in Mackinaw City. We are 30 miles south of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As far as W. Yellowstone, it has been known to snow in September, but maybe not this year, BTW, last year in July, there was snow on the pass leaving from Red Lodge Mt south. If your going to Bozeman...take 191 south off of I 90 and it takes right to W. Yellowstone. It's a good 2 lane road and a pretty drive if it's not snowing, then find another way. Keep in mind the college kids will be in town...so don't pull your Horn thru town.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We are traveling from Elkhart, IN to West Yellowstone, MT and have approximately 10-14 days. We originally had more time, but had a couple unexpected delays so it's shortened our time considerably. Wanted to travel through Upper Peninsula of Michigan. There are so many wonderful things to chose from... not sure whether we should try to stop several places for 1 night each (closer together so can have a look around) or just hit a few places and stay a couple of days. Right now thinking of Mackinaw City (3 nights). Would it be feasible to make a day trip (without rig) from Mackinaw City to Sault Ste Marie? One day there, one day Mackinaw Island. If we spend 3 nights, we'd really only have a 2 days of sightseeing time, depending on what time we arrive in Mackinaw City. Would Munising be a good point to explore Pictured Rocks?
Our original plan (when we had more time) was going to be somewhere on West Coast of Michigan (Ludington and perhaps Traverse City), Mackinaw City, Sault Ste Marie, Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, Copper Harbor. Now that our time is shorter, I don't know what to skip this time. We plan to be back up here next year. But I could use some help with this new, shorter time frame. Nothing is fixed, so would welcome any thoughts on what we do not want to miss. That applies to Wisconsin, Minnesota and North Dakota too.Thanks!

Sorry I didn't get back with you this evening . . . probably too late to call right now now (11pm in Indiana).

I'll give you a call back in the morning.

Since you are going back there next year, I'd skip Copper Harbor and do that then as it is a long drive up there.

We've done Soo St. Marie and Tahquamenon falls in one day . . . but it was tight.

The Pictured Rock at Munising, if you do the boat ride, plan on at least 1/2 of the day.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
image.jpgOTE=Bob&Patty;504340]As far as W. Yellowstone, it has been known to snow in September, but maybe not this year, BTW, last year in July, there was snow on the pass leaving from Red Lodge Mt.[/QUOTE]

It snowed a couple of places here in CO today. The Sangre De Christo Mts this morning.

Last edited:

8amps

Yikes, I wasn't really thinking about snow on this part of it, but I suppose we'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yikes, I wasn't really thinking about snow on this part of it, but I suppose we'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks for the reminder.

You shouldn't have to worry about snow this time of year in Michigan,

It will be warm and humid in the UP.

When are you guys heading up there?

Last edited:

8amps

We are hopefully leaving Elkhart tomorrow if all goes well

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

MTPockets

You'll love Mackinaw... Consider heading back from there to Ludington and take the ferry (The Badger) across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin. We did that a few years ago. It's something different. They can handle your rig as they regularly haul 18 wheelers. It's a big boat with comfy lounge, food, etc... You can find more info on-line about reservations, cost, schedule, etc.
PS... It's a four hour crossing, which may cost about what you would pay for fuel to get there....

8amps

You'll love Mackinaw... Consider heading back from there to Ludington and take the ferry (The Badger) across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin. We did that a few years ago. It's something different. They can handle your rig as they regularly haul 18 wheelers. It's a big boat with comfy lounge, food, etc... You can find more info on-line about reservations, cost, schedule, etc.
PS... It's a four hour crossing, which may cost about what you would pay for fuel to get there....

That sounds cool! Love to do that. However, this year with our delays we don't have the leisurely 3 weeks we were going to have. So... we won't be making it that far south in Wisconsin. More just skirting across the top. But we plan to be back in this area next year and will put this on the list. Thanks for the idea.

- - - Updated - - -

We are hopefully leaving Elkhart tomorrow if all goes well

Revised to Thursday Morning (tomorrow)

- - - Updated - - -

North Dakota - travel across state (I-94) to Medora. Nice local campground there near the entrance to Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We stayed in the campground, but only for an overnight, so we didn't get into the Nat'l Park, though I've heard it's a very nice park.

If you are just passing through and need a nice place to stop in Minnesota (along I-94), the city of Barnesville has a very nice city-run campground just off the interstate.

Thanks Malcolm, we were planning to stop at TRNP so that is good to know! We figure 2 nights (first night will be a long drive day) and one full day of checking out the park. What are the roads like across 94 and Minnesota and North Dakota?

MTPockets

. As an FYI, from Mackinaw to Eau Claire, WI via Ludington, then Ferry across the Lake to Manitowoc, and Manitowoc to Eau Claire, WI to pick up I94 is a total travel time of about 10 hrs, including the ferry... And about 460 miles of driving.
travel time from Mackinaw to Eau Claire, WI on highways is about 429 miles driving and 8 hrs driving. So, it is shorter by land, but only a couple hours and 30 miles.... It will cost more via Ludington by amount of ferry .

gasman

Camp Socializer
If you drop down into Wyoming and approach Yellowstone from the east, I know of a wonderful, FREE 50 amp campsite on the Codycarver ranch in Cody, Wyoming. And Tucker is a great host also!

8amps

If you drop down into Wyoming and approach Yellowstone from the east, I know of a wonderful, FREE 50 amp campsite on the Codycarver ranch in Cody, Wyoming. And Tucker is a great host also!

Hi Mike and Edythe, we are planning on going through Billings (overnight stop) and down thru Bozeman. We went that way last year to the rally. Dave and Amy will be in Yellowstone and we hope to see them there. We'll be there for 2 weeks arriving Sunday 9/4

jbeletti

Hi Mike and Edythe, we are planning on going through Billings (overnight stop) and down thru Bozeman. We went that way last year to the rally. Dave and Amy will be in Yellowstone and we hope to see them there. We'll be there for 2 weeks arriving Sunday 9/4

Mary - are you guys working along your route?

8amps

You shouldn't have to worry about snow this time of year in Michigan,

It will be warm and humid in the UP.

When are you guys heading up there?
Hi John, we're here right now in UP, weather has been nice. One drizzly day, we went to Sault Ste Marie and that's it. Otherwise nice and sunny, mid 70s, but humid. In Munising now, stars and subsets a plenty. Really beautiful!

8amps

North Dakota - travel across state (I-94) to Medora. Nice local campground there near the entrance to Theodore Roosevelt National Park. We stayed in the campground, but only for an overnight, so we didn't get into the Nat'l Park, though I've heard it's a very nice park.

If you are just passing through and need a nice place to stop in Minnesota (along I-94), the city of Barnesville has a very nice city-run campground just off the interstate.
Hi Malcolm,
Do you remember if you stayed at Medora campground or Red Trails? They're close to each other outside TRNP