Mor/Ryde IS installation..

TXBobcat

Fulltime
DE...
This is the answers from the Tech.

Great pictures Bob. I am in the process of changing the old drum brakes on my BH. The actuator appears to be an Carlisle Hydrostar HBA-16. Yes it is.

Something you may like to ask the techs. Are they running 1/4 brake lines or 3/16? The brake hose pictures you have appear to be 3/16.
Also, where did they get the flex lines (hoses) with the chips.
Blue Dot

I have been looking and have not found a source. And one last question to ask is if they used the output adapter port (304-7107) on the hydrostar.
Already set up for the 3/16" line

The adapter is for 1/4 line set. So if they did not use the 1/4 tubing, they did not need it. If they did, please take some picture I am having a hard time finding what is in this adapter kit other then a coupling.
Thanks DE

I have the manual if you would like a copy of it I may be able to scan it into a PDF form for you.
BC

DE - Update Edit....
I looked at the manual parts list and the 1/4" adapter assemby inverted flare kit is an addition. Part number 304-7107. If you have to use a 1/4" line I guess you need the kit which seems to be included. Mor/Ryde does not use it.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Last Update.. I'm back at the campground...

Well it has been a good day.
They finished the IS and Disk Brakes late yesterday evening and finished the JT's today. The trailer seems to pull well. Have to watch it more when we start to travel. The disk brakes are great. I can really feel the trailer stopping me. I reduced my controller and have better stopping ability than I did with the shoe brakes. On the Ford integrated controller the settings go from 0 to 10. I had been using an 8 and it would slow me down a lot but not quite stop me on a decline. The Disk Brakes now are set on a 5 and I can feel it stopping the trailer. With the Ford Controller I still will not lock the brakes on the trailer and they said that was the way it is suppose to work. In town I am running 5 they said on the Highway I might raise it up a bit and on mountains I might increase it back up to 8 or so.

They weighed the trailer when I backed into the working bay. When I was ready to pull it out we weighed it again. This included the rear axle on the TV. I had a real scare. The right rear trailer tire weight had gone up 500 lbs. I pulled it out and parked in the parking lot and went in to talk to them about the problem. No one had any idea why that one tire weight went up 500lbs. We came to the conclusion that it might be good to reweigh the trailer. That was a good decision. This weighing was much better. Each of the tires had an acceptable difference. The total weight of the trailer increased about 1,000 lbs.

Now don’t ask me what the axles and hubs weighed compared to the IS system. I don't know. This included a number of channels for support, one for supporting my fresh water tank and the IS sysem. The pictures I posted pretty well covers the installation. Tomorrow I will post a couple of pictures of the trailer with the tires on and final with the JT’s.

An interesting change in the total weight of the trailer.
Start weight with axles 12040
In shop after installation 13125
Second weigh in street 13220

The weight on my rear TV Axle went down about 150lbs.

I was real light on my DS front tire originally. When the IS system was installed the tire weight was more equally spread but the DS front tire weight went up almost 1,000 lbs.

Except about the JT’s there is not much else to tell. I am real happy with the work done and the people doing the work. After I set up at the campground the trailer seems to be much more stable. That is also a positive point. I am surprised at the difference it made.

I hope this thread is helpful to all those that are planning to install the IS system and those that are not sure that they want to install it. For me this has been a good decision.

If I do have any problems or comments in the future I will let you know.

BC

talley

Whoa!!!... Weight increase of 1,000 lbs. Not sure I can handle that, will have to get out the weight tickets and charts for some calucations. Sure glad you made the post. We will discuss the issue with MorRyde next Monday. This is another reason for going with the F350. At the time I thought the F250 would handle my needs and went with it.

BC...were your weights taken while connected to TV?

Last edited:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Whoa!!!... Weight increase of 1,000 lbs. Not sure I can handle that, will have to get out the weight tickets and charts for some calculations. Sure glad you made the post. We will discuss the issue with MorRyde next Monday. This is another reason for going with the F350. At the time I thought the F250 would handle my needs and went with it.

BC...were your weights taken while connected to TV?
I agree, that seems like something is goofy there. Maybe a hundred pounds more? In a different thread, Bobcat had said that before the IS install his combined weight was 18,755. To me that seems quite a bit light. MIne was 22,600 and I know there isn't that much difference in our rigs. I guess we'll see what happens when I get to Mor/ryde as well.

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Tally
I agree with you. That is a pretty large increase. However I was standing there with them each time the trailer was weighed and I read the weights each time. I was really concerned when all the weights were pretty close to being in line except one on the ODS rear. It was 500 pounds higher than any other tire. I suspected that the IS for that tire was installed wrong and it hit the ground first and absorbed most of the weight. I thought I was going to have to stay there longer while they removed it and realigned it or what ever it took. We talked for a while and I suggested that we reweigh it. The last weight I took on the trailer was at a Cat Scale in February and the trailer weighed 12,420lbs. When I backed into their shop and we weighed, it was 12,040, but the front axle of the truck was outside the shop a bit lower than the shop floor so the truck probably took a bit more weight off the trailer axles.

When we weighed the trailer after installing the IS, the trailer had only been moved about 10ft. The weight was showing 13,125 and the one tire was way over weight. Again the truck front tires were off the concrete of the shop floor and the IS had not moved very far. So maybe it was still in a bind and needed to flex and settle in. That is why I asked for the second weight on for the IS. This showed that the weights were more evenly distributed. But it was still 1k over the weight that it was when I brought it in.

What it did for me, was reduce the weight on my truck. I am real close to my limits and I am going to change out tires as soon as I can to G rated. I will be keeping a real close eye on the tires and the trailer as we travel this year. When I get back to Dallas I will be making some changes.

Now I know what I am presenting here sounds wrong, weird or what ever but this is, what it is. I read the weights and had previous weights recorded. I cannot give any reason or cause. It is what it is and I am going to have to adjust for it.

I don’t think anyone has discussed this to the extent that I have here nor given photographic documentation. If this is not for you be sure you go into this with as much knowledge as you can. I did not expect it, but it is done. I like the product and I am going to make the necessary adaption’s as I can.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Bob, are you getting weighed at the Rally. That will tell all if you do. And while you are there in Elkhart, check RV surplus, as they might have some wheels and 614's.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ray
You are correct.. I said my weight was about 18,755 but I forgot to add in 5100 for my front axle. I was looking at the weight list and they did not weigh the front axle. I just added them up and did not realize that I had not included the front axle..

Thanks for catching that for me...
BC

Niles

TxBobcat, now I've got to weigh my trailer, never thought about it adding that much weight. I've got my weights from prior to, but didn't get any weights when Mor-ryde was done. Oh well, it really doesn't matter I wouldn't go back to Lippert springs for nothing. The ride home was great and after it breaks in I'm hoping it gets better. If you look at what Mor-ryde added though it does make sense, it is definitely beefier.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Bob, are you getting weighed at the Rally. That will tell all if you do. And while you are there in Elkhart, check RV surplus, as they might have some wheels and 614's.

Jim
Well I have spent a ton of cash, had my trailer weighed 3 times by someone that is in the business and yes their scales could be off, but so could the people coming in to weigh trailers for what $50 or $60? I am not sure what the cost is going to be but it will be more than the Cat Scales $8 or $9. Plus it might give me information that I really not sure I want to hear.. LOL..

I might take a look and see what's available. Thanks for the idea, that would be a great possibility. I think my rims will work with 614. Who knows. However I am just about broke now.

BC

talley

BC... I weighted my 3655RD just prior to this trip to Goshen. I have the trailer at 12200 and the TV at 10280 for a total of 22480. I am overweight for the TV and would like to reduce the pin weight. Now if I go with the IS and have a similar weight gain; that will put me at 23480 or so. That would be two counts against me for overweight police:mad:. I have a 2006 Ford SD 4x4 with 23000 GCWR. Too much stress in my life:(. I suppose that MorRyde did not discuss weight with you. If this is the norm with IS changeovers, I am suprised that someone has not mentioned this earlier. Anyway as you say... it is what it is. I appreciate you sharing this information - and in my case a very important heads-up going into this. In my situation I may have to settle for the wet bolt kit and change out of the MorRyde rubber springs.

Thanks, Jerry

Pulltab

Talley, I don't think the IS adds a thousand pounds does it? I thought it was like a hundred or so extra. If so you would be at 22580 and still under your gcwr.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Hay Guys
I don't want to rain on people’s parade. I am posting this information purposes.

I was not told how much weight my trailer would increase. I did not ask. I thought it would be a wash or maybe a hundred pounds. Now some people told me their trailer only increased about 100lbs. I will assume that anyone that has a Bighorn with a GVWR of 14,800 with similar configuration could have the same weight change.

I would suggest you contact Mor/Ryde and see what they think the change would be for you.

I might contact them and see if they can come up with a possibility of why the weight increase was so much.

Travel safe. I look forward to seeing all of you at the up coming rally.
BC

talley

Talley, I don't think the IS adds a thousand pounds does it? I thought it was like a hundred or so extra. If so you would be at 22580 and still under your gcwr.

I don't really know...but I do need to know before I have it installed. Of course BC indicated that he did not know either, as he had other reinforcement support also installed. I would really hope that others who have had the IS installed and are aware of their before and after weights would offer insight and their experience on this issue.

Jerry

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If I remember correctly the IS only added a couple of hundred pounds to our Landmark. Some get an larger increase because they upgrade from E to G tires and wheels also. Mor/Ryde should be able to give you a better idea of what the actual change should be. Also the charge to get weighed at the Rally is $49.00.

Pulltab

Yeah, a couple hundred pounds I can see. Someone just didn't weigh BC's rig right and that is why he got such crazy numbers. Kakampers will get the scoop on it. I guarantee you Kathy is all over that like white on rice :)

Tom of Ypsi

I am already overweight on my trailer and adding another 200 to 1000 pounds will not work. Got to figure out what to get rid of real quick. Keep your eyes out for a big yard sale at the rally.