Mor/Ryde IS installation..

Tom of Ypsi

Jim & Jim,

Cannot get rid of the cooler it is full of sea shells, remember the Long Long Trailer, and the golf clubs will not go. In Sedalia, Mo we started to widdle down the Tequila collection and maybe at this rally we can work on that even more.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I think I need to note something that some may have not realized.
On post #24 I posted the actual weights that were made of my trailer.

An interesting change in the total weight of the trailer.
Start weight with axles 12040
In shop after installation 13125
Second weigh in street 13220

During the conversation I use 1,000 as the weight difference. I need make sure that everyone understands the 1,000 is a nominal number. The actual weight increase was 800#. It is still a lot but some may feel better knowing that the increase was actually 200# less than being discussed.

I am sorry.. I have a tendency to round numbers off. If you look at the start weight and the second weight I just took the difference between the 12k and 13k.

Please forgive me if that caused someone concern. The 200# is a lot of weight when you are close, but I sorta look at it as a man sitting in the trailer or truck.

I am going to go by Mor/Ryde and see if they have any idea. I strongly suggest you consult with Mor/Ryde to know what you need.

BC

Niles

TXBobcat, I'm not doubting you whatsoever,but now I am confused if the before weight was 12040 and the after weight is 13125, that is a 1085 increase. Take the 13220 and that is a 1180 increase. I'm going up to the local Co-op before we come up to Goshen and reweigh ours, then I'll be in the same boat as you probably, the way it is right now I Bliss to it all. I'm probably heavier than you as we put the 8K axles on. But again like you said I'm very happy with the install Mor-ryde is one fine company. Lippert can suck wind!!!

talley

Notwithstanding the math... 800#, 1085#, 1180# or what ever near those numbers are killers for me. The bottom line is going into the project with eyes wide open. I was really thinking it would be a wash and even hope that some adjustment could be made to lessen the pin weight. My weight ticket of 22480# against a GCWR of 23000 reflects no passenger weight. So that means I have to be very cautious and probably am forced to stay with the MorRyde RE.

Either way... again thanks BC for providing an informative and relevant discussion.

Jerry

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well that shows you that I am getting to old.. I redid the math and you are right. I was concerned that I was putting others into a position of "don't buy Mor/Ryde" with the weight. I guess my calculator hickuped.. Thanks

I am happy with the work that they did. Just be sure what is happening when you make the decision. I did not think that I would increase that amount and it is to late to change my mind.

This is why I like the forum. You can get good information and find out something you would not suspect.. Good and bad.
I really like to see the things others do to improve or correct what they have..

BC

talley

I would really like to go with MorRyde's IS, but the situation I may find myself in is of my own making... no fault of MorRyde. I was trying to match my TV too closely to the BH when putting the purchase together. We see posts almost every week of others trying to make the same decision "do I go with the 3/4 ton or the 1 ton or higher". When I was trying to decide I did not know of this forum and simply put the bare numbers together without the advice from experience.

Of course MorRyde has not weighed in on this. We will have the opportunity for that discussion next Monday.

I could resolve my particular problem with a new TV purchase, but that is not likely to happen, even though I would be better off.

Jerry

nemo45

what exactly are you guys talking about doing? What is MorRyde IS and RE? I am thinking you're adding disc brakes to your unit. Is this right?

talley

Short response... IS is independent suspension. Each wheel has it's own suspension (I would describe as like a unicycle) no axle or traditional springs. RE is rubber equalizer.. replaces the equalizer or rocker/hanger between the two sets of springs on tandum axles.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
what exactly are you guys talking about doing? What is MorRyde IS and RE? I am thinking you're adding disc brakes to your unit. Is this right?
Don, "IS" is complete independent suspension. Each wheel/tire has it's own rubber shear spring and when it hits a bump or pot hole it has no effect on any other wheel/tire. "RE" is a rubber equalizer. It the center piece between the front and rear springs. It is mounted to a double rubber sheer spring. It absorbs some of the impact of potholes and bumps and is much better than a solid equalizer. I believe some of Bobcats additional weight came from Mor/ryde shifting the axles a bit. He now has a little less pin weight. Hopefully when talley gets in there Monday, his fears will be relieved. I can't imagine the hardware for the IS system weighing anywhere near 1000#. I had a 6 X 10 enclosed cargo trailer that only weighed 1100#. I'm scheduled for the IS install on the 16th but without the disc brakes. I am having all new shoe brakes installed while there though. Complete backing plate and all new hardware.

nemo45

Can I then ask what you would be gaining from going through all the work and expense of installing this in your unit? I assume a better ride. But, isn't the ride from the original equipment (equal-flex) adequate? I am sure that it is an improvement over the dexter torqsflex that is on my Open Road, which I am satisfied with.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
After looking over the pictures you posted and the original axles, I can believe the significant increase in weight. The axles are basically hollow tubes with a rod in them. The mountings for your IS system and the hardware look like substantial material. Those hubs look like monsters.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Can I then ask what you would be gaining from going through all the work and expense of installing this in your unit? I assume a better ride. But, isn't the ride from the original equipment (equal-flex) adequate? I am sure that it is an improvement over the dexter torqsflex that is on my Open Road, which I am satisfied with.
I think the reason people are switching is due to the possibility of leaf spring problems. There have been a few of us that have noticed our leafs are no longer in the arch they were when new. they seem to be going flat or breaking. Lippert has been working with some folks and others seem to be going the IS route. The wet kit for the leaf springs will no doubt remove the possibility of shackle problems some have had too. Some of us are full time and need the extra capacity the IS offers along with a superior ride. The IS also reduces the stress to our trailers structure. All that said, I don't work for Mor/ryde nor am I getting a discount for promoting them:D:D. I may ask though.;)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The IS makes a dramatic difference in road shock which is transmitted to the trailer. With standard suspension if you hit a pot hole with the left wheel the shock if also transmitted to the right wheel as well. Causing the trailer to bounce or hop. With IS if you hit the same pot hole only the left wheel would be affected and less shock is transmitted to the trailer giving it a smoother ride. Additionally, less shock equals less wear and tear.

Niles

nemo45, the system you have now is imo, a lot better than the spring system Lippert puts on. I've had two sets of springs bow on our 3670, I am not overloaded, 7k axles and I only had 6k per axle. We went with the IS system and upgraded to 8k axles,probably overkill, but makes me feel better. The trailer with the IS system rides much better than it ever did with the springs. The Mor-ryde is not for the weak of pocket, especially if your putting the disc brakes on. However I do believe for the long haul it will help the trailer to last a lot longer, and not jar everything upside down inside it either.

nemo45

Well. there's plenty of bouncing around going on in my Open Road with the dexter axles. I completely understand the independent suspension concept, but believe the cost would be prohibitive. Are you saying I should not go pick up my new BH 3600RE next wed. and keep my '05 Open Road because of the axles? I don't think that's going to happen. How many units are we talking about with this problem? You guys got me really scared. We are full-timers and can't be foolin' around changing axles. Niles, are you towing that 12 ft. cargo trailer with the Goldwing and Bustec in it behind your 3670? I plan on towing a small trailer with two motor scooters on it behind mine and hope the frame is up to it.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Update

Ok guys..
Here is an update. I went to Mor/Ryde this afternoon and talked to Chris again. I asked him to see why the increase in weight was about 1,000#.

I asked him for individual weights of each disk brake assembly, the JT Strongarm package, the tubing and the IS axle.

I just received an email from him and he included the original pages that the weights were recorded on by hand. I recognize the pages because I gave the techs some of the information and wrote some of it down myself.

So here is the changes. The right front original tire weight was 2905 and when he entered it in the formal documentation, that he made to give me when the job was completed, he wrote 2405. I confirm this mistake from the original pages.

This is the corrected weights:
Start weight with axles 12540#
In shop after installation 13125#
Second weigh in street 13220#
Increase of 680#
The unit weights are:
Disk brake assembly including actuator 223#
Tubing 100#
Stabilizers – 51 lbs
I will send the IS Axle later when he had the opportunity find them.

On Monday he is also going to weigh the 7k axles and brakes that they removed from my trailer minus the hardware and old hangers that have already been scrapped.

I hope this helps all of you. Sorry for the confusion, but the 2905 did look like 2405 and I can understand the error.

BC

Last edited:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Another thing to think about...

While we were sitting around discussing the weight that is incurred by the installation of the IS, DB, never lube hub, tubing and JT Strongarm.

The weight on the frame is not different. Infact the bracing of the tubing, the IS axle and the tubing on the frame strengthens the frame and is supported by a stronger suspension. How can I say this... The weight is not on the frame like the walls, refrig, your personal things. This is weight absorbed by the suspension. What would change is what your TV will be towing. Now it looks like an increase of 680# the TV has to haul.

Does this make since to anyone???

BC