Mor/Ryde IS installation..

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well. there's plenty of bouncing around going on in my Open Road with the dexter axles. I completely understand the independent suspension concept, but believe the cost would be prohibitive. Are you saying I should not go pick up my new BH 3600RE next wed. and keep my '05 Open Road because of the axles? I don't think that's going to happen. How many units are we talking about with this problem? You guys got me really scared. We are full-timers and can't be foolin' around changing axles.
Nemo45, I wouldnt let it worry you that much. Have you looked at the springs under your Open Road recently? Does your O.R. have wet bolts on the shackles/springs? There are thousands of Heartlands trailers out there and a good number of us are full time. This is one of those situations like Y2K. How many of us went out and bought a generator for the unavoidable nationwide power outage? I DID!!! And I didn't need it. These forums are places that get everyone worried because a few of us have some issues. Some of us have seen threads on the forum that have caused concern regarding the shackles wearing the holes out and this is going to happen to every trailer on the road that has nylon bushings and no grease fittings. Springs can break or become weak. Preventative Maintenance is important on all of our equipment. I was originally just going to install wet bolts BUT because I ran into a few extra bucks I figured I may as well go for the IS. The bearings get repacked in the process. When I leave Mor/ryde I'll have one less thing to think about. And our cat will have a smoother ride ;) while he's riding behind us.

Last edited:

Niles

Nemo45, yes we pull the trailer behind the Bighorn with the bike in it, I think you have a 12 inch frame on the 3600 also. Is it recommended, no, lippert does not want to warranty if you put a hitch on, however as I was told the 12 inch beam is very strong. I have had no problem in that re guard. China made springs were my issue. The trailer adds about 500# tongue weight to the back of the Bighorn, it takes some pin weight off the truck. Watch your length and overall weight. It does add up fast. Don't be scared of Heartland,it's a great trailer. lippert puts their frame and axles and springs under a lot of trailers, not my favorite people, lippert that is.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had the IS system installed not because I was scared of the axles breaking, because I had 7k axles. I wanted two things. A better ride for the trailer and contents, but most of all I wanted the disk brakes. If I were not traveling fulltime I probably would have kept the axles and maybe only changed to disk brakes. Maybe neither.

I don't have the income to replace trailer so I want it to be cared for as best as I can. I also want to make sure I can stop the truck and trailer in severe conditions and I did not feel the drum brakes would do the job.

nemo45

Since the Open Road has dexter torqflex axles there are no springs, shocks or shackles under it. I believe this setup makes for a pretty rough ride and the ride on the BH should be better. I take it that a wet bolt is a bolt with a grease fitting on it that allows you to grease the shackle. This is probably something I should be thinking about. Thanks for the reassurance, its too late for us to do anything about it now, anyway.
Niles, the trailer I'm going ro pull has about 200# tongue weight. I can lift the tongue by myself with the scooters on it. The scooters together weigh about 600#. The trailer is one of those trailers made to haul two scooters or motorcycles or one ATV. It has 12" wheels. Not a big or long trailer at all. About 12 ft. long overall. I may just haul the scooters to the Rio Grande Valley and just leave them there when we go back up north in the spring. We have a shed on our lot we could store them in.
Ray, our summer home is in Arlington, WI at our daughter's, not too far from you. We winter at Countryside RV Park in Donna, TX. We've only been full-timing for one year, but so far we love it. We are going to pick up our new 3600RE in Arkansas this Wed., it is a new 2009. Hope and pray we don't have problems with our springs or axles.