Most unique camping/flying experience I have ever had, and what a show we put on!

FiremanBill

We went camping up at Misty Mountain Camp Resort in Greenwood VA for the 4th of July. We took a couple of our model planes as we always do hoping to get a flight or two in if possible.

We flew a couple times during the day and as usual a few spectators would come around and ask questions. We proudly told them all about our hobby and how much fun it is.
We were getting ready to go out and do some night flying when we heard our neighbor talking about them doing a pre fireworks show teaser for the following nights big event. We though no sweat we will go down to the field, wait for them to be done and then make our flights while some people are still out to watch. We thought they were done but they got word that we were going to fly so they saved a couple for after we took off. We ended up flying with the fireworks for a few minutes and what a hoot.

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined what would happen next! We thought that was then end of it until we were asked to fly during the big show on Saturday night. Keeping safety in mind and what might happen if we were to get hit we formulated a plan. Basically we wer flying into the as we were going away from the spectators or circling directly over the launch area. We never took any direct hits but we were getting blasted around the sky pretty well and our planes smell like black powder now!

When we were done everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, was coming up to us and talking about how cool it was and that it made their 4th of July getting to see it. Even Sunday morning as we were packing up to come home folks were coming by and talking to us about it! What a rush that was.

We managed to get a bit of video of the festivities. so here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHFbZBjFWc

Snow

Cool, we passed misty mnt on the way to camp hatteras and was wondering how that campground is like , to bad I wasn't there and had my helis in the air also . Yea right I caint fly in daylight I know I would tear something up in the dark HA, HA, ! Cool video

FiremanBill

Thanks, Misty Mountain is really nice. Second time I've been there now and have really enjoyed it both times.

VAbow

Bill, NICE!!!! I looked at staying there a couple years ago and haven't made it yet. Will put it on the list again.

FiremanBill

Thanks Art.

Lot's of cool stuff to do in and around that place. All the Breweries especially. Check out the Blue Mountain and the Devil's Backbone. Both awesome houses with some really good brews!

Kbvols

Bill,
That was really cool! It appeared as if the planes took a direct hit at times from the fireworks...you've just added Flying RC planes to my bucket list.

porthole

Retired
Cool. Kinda reminds of growing up when we use to blow up our models and RC cars.

Bill, did you ever see the video "R/C War"?
If not, it is a RC version of a WWII South Pacific air-ground battle.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
Fireman Bill, Your hobby would be an interesting addition to the Leisure Time Activities event at the next National Rally. Kelly Barnett is the coordinator add can answer any questions. I demonstrated my woodturning hobby in Goshen last month and it seemed to be of interest to a lot of people. Just a thought. Ken

FiremanBill

Fireman Bill, Your hobby would be an interesting addition to the Leisure Time Activities event at the next National Rally. Kelly Barnett is the coordinator add can answer any questions. I demonstrated my woodturning hobby in Goshen last month and it seemed to be of interest to a lot of people. Just a thought. Ken

That would be very cool. We do plan on going as it is going to be very close to us here in Virginia. If they have the space we will certainly be flying. I never leave home without taking at least some of my planes!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
I've gone back and watched it again and again. The question is - where's the Bloody Red Baron???