Motion control outside 12volt light

Bob Vaughn

I would like to add a motion control outside light by the front door but because the insulation is foam and the frame is aluminum I cannot think of how to install one...I can buy one but the instructions are for one with fiber glass insulation.....I wonder if they come with batteries. We will be leaving on sight seeing trips when we go on our vacation and I do not want to leave the outside light burning all day long as we may come back late at night.....:confused:

jbeletti

Bob V,

The link posted by Bob C is one I've used before. In fact, Dave (cookie) and I just installed one on my new rig last week. Easy install. 4 screws into sidewall. Leave it on automatic and it will not be on during the day and will only be on at night when triggered by motion. Read more at Bob's link.

Jim

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bobcat is correct, that is the one on JB's coach. I have one on mine as well. At the RV.net Sweetheart Rally in Kerrville, TX we installed them on two coaches. Easy job.
The pricing has come down a bit. I bought mine about a month ago for $69 with the 200 lumen LED bulb. If you buy one be sure to get at least the 200 lumen LED.

Peace
Dave

Vtxkid

JimB's link doesn't state that it comes with a LED light but when I ordered from them, I got the LED light with it. While were talking about installing these lights, was their any particular sealant that you used around the base prior to screwing it onto the sidewall?!?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I used butyl tape around the base and then caulked it. Be certain to leave the weep hole free of caulk and tape.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I installed one of these after the Nashville Rally last year. Very easy install. I leave it on all the time. I guess traveling at night could be a concern though. A cool feature is it's also a battery monitor. There's a flashing LED that will warn you if your battery reaches a low level of charge.

lwmcguir

We just installed one as well. The white fixture came with the 300 lumen led lamp for $79.00 plus shipping.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine is sitting in the box, waiting for warmer weather and another snow melt. As for coming on while driving, if it's used to replace the original porch light, it's switched. So unless you leave the switch inside the rig on, it should not work. There is no internal battery in these.

lwmcguir

We use it as a switched light as well. You can switch it off to on to activate it to "on" as well. For motion detection switch it on, off and on. When we want it off we just leave it off as John notes.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Smart Light 1000

Well I just learned a couple of things.

First let me say I found another site that hase the Smart Light 1000 which is the same thing as the one on the Coil website, however it is $10 cheaper and comes with a 200 LED Bulb that is adjustable to where it will shine the light. Smart Light 1000

Now what I learned from Mr. JimB. I had made a search using the standard forum search engine and did find something about the security light but it was hard to find the right thread and page of the thread. JimB told me to try the advanced search because it used the Google search engine. I had seen the Google search and my first thought was No.. I don't want to use Google and search the entire web, I want to find the one in the forum.

Well JimB told me it will search just the forum but I noticed it did give me some insite to something about a part on the Web. My Google Search Look at the 7th item on the search results. You will notice it also shows a UTube URL. This is the one I selected and watched the UTube Video. Also it will give you the page in the thread. I didn't have to open the thread and search numberous pages.

This is the way to search the forum. Thanks JimB.

BC

SilverRhino

Re: Smart Light 1000

If you replace the porch light with this type of fixture....Does having the awning out cause any problems? (ie: will awning flapping in the wind set the light off?)

jbeletti

Glad you tried the Advanced Search using the Google search engine Bob. Thanks for sharing that nice find with others. It really is so much better than the standard search.

Randy - this light I believe using PIR technology (passive infra red). So I think that is "heat in motion". So if your body or an animal or some other thing (hot engine, grill etc.) "pass by" the sensors field and if the heat coming off said item is different than the surroundings, it will trigger. So your body, passing by the sensor is at a different (higher or lower) temperature than the sensor is picking up and it triggers as "heat in motion". At least this is how I think it works.

This means that it's possible to have some falsing where your body may be at equilibrium with the surrounding temperature and the trigger may fail (false negative I guess).

That all said, the device works great.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

If you replace the porch light with this type of fixture....Does having the awning out cause any problems? (ie: will awning flapping in the wind set the light off?)
I have used the light with the awning extended and have not noticed any difference. In fact it may be better due to not being able to detect low flying things. You know, birds, bats, F22's.

DougAndJudy

On a few very windy nights here, we found that our light came on when we caught a really strong gust. I'm guessing that it saw our truck (which is parked right next to the porch) as a moving opbject, even though it was the trailer that was moving...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

I have used the light with the awning extended and have not noticed any difference. In fact it may be better due to not being able to detect low flying things. You know, birds, bats, F22's.

But Ray, it can't "see" the F-22's.

SabBumNim

UNI Tae Kwon-Do Club
Greetings,
For security reasons, this looks like a good item to have installed. I think I will order one.

Bob Vaughn

I ordered a black one last week and it came today....now I just have to decide where and how I want to install it.....

Ray LeTourneau

I ordered a black one last week and it came today....now I just have to decide where and how I want to install it.....
Why not install it in the same place as the existing one, over the door. That's it's intended use and location. Otherwise you would have to run new wiring and a switch.
Just sayin...