Motorcycle lift

2navret

Has anyone out there installed or had a motorcycle lift installed on the back of their Bighorn? Was told by the dealer that Heartland does not recommend it but that everyone does it anyway and there shouldn't be a problem. Just wanted to pick everyone's brains before we get too serious.

danemayer

Hi 2navret,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here who are quick to reach out with help when needed. If anyone has added a motorcycle lift I'm sure you'll hear about their experience.

One thing to keep in mind is that Lippert manufactures and provides warranty on the frame. I'm sure if you called them, they would tell you that you would void the frame warranty by adding the lift. Also, your dealer is probably understating Heartland's opinion. I doubt they would say they "don't recommend it". More likely they would say "not supported" - which means if you have a problem, you're on your own.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As for me I would not want to do it that way (letting the frame support the motorcycle). I think it would be better to use a multi-receiver hitch with the Swivel Wheel trailer. But keep in mind any modification to the frame (adding a after market hitch) would cause you to void the frame warranty according to Lippert who makes the frame.

Brazos

I am not saying I approve of adding a motorcycle lift to the rear of a Bighorn. But, yesterday I saw a Bighorn go by and it had a full size motorcycle on the back like you would carry bicycles. Man that is a lot of weight back there bouncing up and down as you go along the road. I can only imagine what forces might transfer from back there along the frame to say near the axles. Some of the roads I have been on I even think of my bikes back there and what they may be doing to everything.
If it were a small motorcycle up to maybe 300Lbs minus weight of lift, might not be a problem.

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

I had a custom hitch mfg for my Bighorn. I had it created to use two inserts to offset the torque to two bars vs just one. This is ROCK solid...so much I had the same thing done for the hitch on the front of my truck to carry another dirtbike. My WR450 weighs 250lbs, so I feel fine with this setup.

2015-08-10 11.37.55.jpg 2015-08-10 11.43.36.jpg 2015-08-10 11.44.06.jpg 2015-08-10 11.45.41.jpg