mud flaps on the truck

We will be getting our new Big Horn 3670RL in about 3 weeks and I was wondering if we need mud flaps on the truck to prevent stone chips on the front of the fifth wheel or because the fifth wheel fits so nicely in the back of the truck would they be necessary?
Any suggestions for this newbie would be appreciated. thanks!

the travelling g's

Lilywhite

We have a Chevy dually with mud flaps and even with the flaps there is a lot of dirt/mud sprayed up on the trailer. I have been wondering if DH should get a grass skirt for our truck since we consider our truck a girl and every girl needs a nice skirt ;).

So I guess you might want to get flaps to protect your investment. Just my 2 cents worth.

ChopperBill

I believe there is a new option of having an aluminum diamond plate facing on the front of the trailer. You may want to see if you can still get it ordered if it is a concern.

caissiel

I have been using the short tire width mud flap for years on my truck and never had any dirth collecting on the trailer.
The principal here is to not pick up dust with the great wide flaps, but to deflect the air enough to create a downward movement at the rear of the tires.
An other reason not to have duals on my trucks.

The brooms are a waste of money because they just pickup all the dust up and any large particle goes right through.
There are many money wasting stuff we can add on and this one for me is the worst one I see on RV's.

RollingHome

I have a 3500 dually too, I put mud flaps on all 4 wheels. I paid under $ 100.00 on eBay brand new. I also put Rock Tamers on (these go on the tow hitch bar. They are solid and not a skirt), Costco under $ 200.00. I DO NOT know if I wasted my money yet because I have not towed yet, so Caissel may be correct. I do know that last year I was on Route 95, in the rain and a semi threw his recap. It went between the TV & TT and caved the diamond plate (option) in on my old TT front. I believe if I had the Rock Tamers then I would not have incurred as much damage (if any) as I did. However, even with the Rock Tamers and the individual mud flaps on the rear tires, there still exist a gap where stones - or other can come back and hit the RV, so again Caissel may be correct. When I stand 4 or 5 feet behind my TV I can clearly see the point where the tire contacts the road and this is the launch point for all debris. I would have opted for the diamond plate had I known it was available as an option. Tom

Attachments

• 15 foot side vie&#119.JPG
    15 foot side vie&#119.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 79

jnbhobe

I have the rock tamers also, I only use them with a couple of my utility and atv trailers. Keeps mud off the front of them. I do know if they touch the ground they will throw up more than they stop.

RollingHome

Jon, it sounds like you talk from experience ! I'm gonna take the Rock Tamers off if they drag the road surface out front of my place. Thank you for pointing that out... Now to trim the flaps.... ouch.... ya know what I mean. Tom

jayc

Legendary Member
I bought a set of Enkay mudflaps several years ago when I tried delivering RV's but really can't tell much difference when using them.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I am interested in the Fire and Ice mud flaps for my Ford F-250. They have LED lights in red and white. Kinda kool! I googled them and they cost about $75 on line just about anywhere.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
lady figures are great.......just kidding. Put your 5er on the truck, lift the landing gear and take a string and run from the bottom of the tire to the bottom of the trailer and buy a flap that touches the line.....................SIMPLE!!!!! No rock chips or damage from then on.

Well it sounds like we definitely need something and our dealer has recommended Rock Solid, it attaches to your trailer hitch and is made of durable, all weather therma plastic rubber. Thanks for all your help and advice!
Norma