My rear wall on the 2009 BC is rotted out.

caissiel

Today I checked the caulking on the unit and to my disappointment the left rear wall section has rotted out about 2 ft wide top to bottom. Everything is solid around the window and the roof. To my surprize there was very little wool and it and it was wet. The insulation starts above the lights.
My only assumption is the moisture was caused by living in the unit during cold weather.
All the screws on the end trim were rusted out and the ones on the lower trims were also all rusted out.
The trim had no putty other then a small bead of caulking that was still good. But all the screws were wet under the trim.
Years ago I removed all the bottom screws that were rotting and replaced them with caulked new screws that sealed under the screw covers. But the rear corners looked good then.
I plan on doing the repairs properly tomorrow by taking the outside wall cover down and drying the beams. Installing new supports and insulating with foam after sealing the interior panelling. The interior paneling has not rotted yet and hope its going to dry properly in this Florida sun.
I had to do similar work on my previous unit after 10 years.
I am starting to think that these unit now have a life expectancy of 5 years and then its major rebuilding to build them so they last. My previous unit had the molded back that had no insulation. I was happy that mine was a wall similar to the sides. Buts its not, it's a wood framed flimsy wall that I will repair to last the next 10 years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We had some rotten wood on the rear wall of just below and to the left of the rear window on our previous Landmark. We were at the factory getting some frame work done and they fixed it while there. The most common cause of that would be water intrusion. Check around the edge of the roof on the the sides beneath the gutter. That is where it came in.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you had a bad area on only the left side, I kinda think the damage did not come from living in it.
When you get it repaired and back together be sure to caulk really good.
Caulk the top and sides of the rear window and side windows as well as around the clearance lights.
I suspect a small leak over the past six years.

Peace
Dave

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
When we were in Arizona in January I noticed a lot of condensation on the inside up in the bedroom in the very front corners . . .

At first I thought it was a leak of some kind, but I believe that was just moisture collecting there from running the furnace and us in it while in the 20's and low 30's.

I've checked it several times since we've been home as it is parked with no furnace or any activity inside, and all seems fine!

caissiel

Striped off everything today. Found damage on both side. Looks like the roof corners were to blame. Water have been coming in since new. I remember now one of the curtain string tightner ripped of years ago.
But the roof caulking looked perfect, and I checked them often.
It will be waterproofed tomorrow. I am going to seal everything properly.
Since no putty was used from day one I blame it on that.
My neighbour is a retired RV plant worker from Indiana and he has been observing and was stunned that the tape putty does not exist on my trims.
One more thing there were 2 loose screws holding the bottom of the rear wall. The screws in the studs never made it to the floor beam, if they were intended to.

Last edited:

caissiel

Job is now completed. Now is the project of checking all the trim fasteners for rusted fasteners.