Nabo's Adventure to Alaska 2017

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Today was a pretty simple drive from Medicine Hat SK to just northwest of Calgary in a little town called Cochrane AB. The terrain went from farmland to a little rolling hills to hills with huge cattle farms. But what a jewel of a campground we found called Bow Riversedge Campground. I would give this campground an A+. It's a gated community that is run by the Rotary Club but a little pricey at $50 per night plus an extra $1 per pet per night. Thank goodness the exchange rate will bring it down quite a bit. We didn't venture out this afternoon because BamBam is feeling under the weather.
IMG_2683.jpg IMG_2684.jpg IMG_2688.jpg Bow Riveredge cg cochrane.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2682.jpg
    IMG_2682.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 63

Nabo

It's been an interesting 2 days. BamBam started throwing up Sunday thru this morning so we haven't been able to venture out too much. In fact this morning, we decided to found a local vet who couldn't find anything major wrong with him but gave him a bottle of fluid and an anti-nausea shot. He settled down so we decided to head over to Banff. Our travel from Cochrane took us down a back road 1A (great drive) to Trans-Canada hwy 1. Banff reminds me of a bigger Gatlinburg, TN. Lots of shops/motels/condos with the back drop of the Canadian Rockies instead of the Smokies Mountains. I would hate to be there in mid summer cuz you could barely get around.
IMG_2698.jpg IMG_2700.jpg IMG_2715.jpg IMG_2729.jpg IMG_2750.jpg IMG_2745.jpg IMG_2758.jpg IMG_2760.jpg

dlw930

Awesome scenery! We're planning to come through Banff/Jasper in August on the way back from AK. We'll be in Bellingham WA tomorrow night. Any idea when you'll make Prince George?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nabo

Awesome scenery! We're planning to come through Banff/Jasper in August on the way back from AK. We'll be in Bellingham WA tomorrow night. Any idea when you'll make Prince George?

Right now we will be coming thru Prince George the last week of July.

On Wednesday we traveled the Icefield Parkway. It was fun traveling down the valley between Jasper and Banff National Park of the Canadian Rockies. Lots of wildlife from wild horses, ram sheeps, coyote and her pup, elk and oh, did I say cows. If you haven't been to the rockies, the mountain peak and icefields are impressive. Bow Lake and glacier was amazing. They didn't get the snows this past winter and the lakes and surrounding area are extremely dry. Note the road sign :) (really pedestrians) and of course Nathan and his helper.
Thursday is another travel day from Cochrane AB to Whitecourt AB. Tomorrow we travel on up to Dawson Creek BC.
IMG_2805.jpg IMG_2819.jpg IMG_2848.jpg IMG_2855.jpg IMG_2948.jpg IMG_2942.jpg IMG_2995.jpg IMG_3004.jpg IMG_3005.jpg

dlw930

All I can say is "WOW"!! And much more to come! Looks like Nathan gets a lot of great help with driving. :)

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Amazing!! So Beautiful!! Are the roads as bad as they say? I know your not up in Alaska yet, but we have heard that northern BC can be bad too.

Rod

Nabo

Amazing!! So Beautiful!! Are the roads as bad as they say? I know your not up in Alaska yet, but we have heard that northern BC can be bad too.

Rod

As of this posting, we are in Dawson Creek BC. Hwy 43 from Whitecourt AB to DC was mostly 4 lanes but does have ridges or frost heaves which makes it a little rough, but we feel like it was not as rough as going around the northern Lake Superior. That road was not fun at all. We have traveled over 3800 miles thru Canada, enjoying the countryside. We are planning to spend a couple of days in DC before heading on to Fort Nelson, Toad River and Watson Lake.
20170608_093209.jpg 20170609_111654.jpg 20170609_111821.jpg 20170609_111753.jpg

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Absolutely beautiful!! Thank you for the update!! Once you get into Alaska update us on the roads up there please. This is the trip we really want to do and have considered flying in to Alaska and renting a motorhome to save the wear and tear on our Landmark. But I hate the idea of not having our Landmark and the comfort it provides.

Rod

Nabo

Rod - where you live, you might be going up east of Vancouver. Our plans is to come back down from Anchorage down the western coast of Alaska and BC into Washington state. We will be posting as we travel so stay tune and follow along. :)

dlw930

You're about a week ahead of us. Planning to be in Fort Nelson around June 18 +/-

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Rod - where you live, you might be going up east of Vancouver. Our plans is to come back down from Anchorage down the western coast of Alaska and BC into Washington state. We will be posting as we travel so stay tune and follow along. :)

Nabo, are you planning to come down 37 from Watson Lake to 16?? When we traveled down that route in 2015 the northern half of that route was quite rough and needed repairs. Additionally it's narrow and windy much less traveled than the Alaska Hwy. Road improves the further south you come. Services very limited. Make sure your full of fuel.

Nabo

Yes - our plans are to head down hwy 37 from Watson Lake to hwy 16 to hwy 97 to 1 toward Vancouver. Gosh - 37 couldn't be as bad as going thru the Lake Superior Provincial Park on 17 in Ontario. That's where we started breaking an axle weld and had to have it re-welded in Indian Head.

Today we putz around Dawson Creek (DC) and the surrounding countryside. For those going to Alaska thru DC, please plan to stay at least an extra day. The community is a great walking town with lots of art work on the sides of the buildings. Plus it's listed as the beginning of the AlCan Hwy, the town is being nicknamed the "Mile 0" town. The visitors center with the museum is well done and the AlCan musuem has a great movie about the problems that were incurred building this hwy. We also ran up to some of the old AlCan Hwy to the last working wooden bridge still being used today. It's amazing what these engineers did in 1942.
IMG_3027.jpg IMG_3020.jpg IMG_3054.jpg IMG_3023.jpg 20170609_173026 (1).jpg 20170609_173322.jpg IMG_3030.jpg IMG_3033.jpg IMG_3037.jpg IMG_3039.jpg IMG_3040.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yes - our plans are to head down hwy 37 from Watson Lake to hwy 16 to hwy 97 to 1 toward Vancouver. Gosh - 37 couldn't be as bad as going thru the Lake Superior Provincial Park on 17 in Ontario. That's where we started breaking an axle weld and had to have it re-welded in Indian Head.]

Oh I don't know. Keep your eyes wide open once you clear Fort Nelson and especially Whitehorse.
Just saying!!!

MTPockets

Yes - our plans are to head down hwy 37 from Watson Lake to hwy 16 to hwy 97 to 1 toward Vancouver. Gosh - 37 couldn't be as bad as going thru the Lake Superior Provincial Park on 17 in Ontario. That's where we started breaking an axle weld and had to have it re-welded in Indian Head.

Today we putz around Dawson Creek (DC) and the surrounding countryside. For those going to Alaska thru DC, please plan to stay at least an extra day. The community is a great walking town with lots of art work on the sides of the buildings. Plus it's listed as the beginning of the AlCan Hwy, the town is being nicknamed the "Mile 0" town. The visitors center with the museum is well done and the AlCan musuem has a great movie about the problems that were incurred building this hwy. We also ran up to some of the old AlCan Hwy to the last working wooden bridge still being used today. It's amazing what these engineers did in 1942.
View attachment 52363 View attachment 52371 View attachment 52364 View attachment 52372 View attachment 52365 View attachment 52373 View attachment 52366 View attachment 52367 View attachment 52368 View attachment 52369 View attachment 52370
We took the Western route in 2011 from Vancouver traveling North.. pretty remote, but one of the most enjoyable parts of our trip. Take some time to visit the few small towns on the way.

Nabo

Oh I don't know. Keep your eyes wide open once you clear Fort Nelson and especially Whitehorse.
Just saying!!!

Thanks Lyles - will do.

Thanks MTPockets. Yes we are planning to stop at a couple of the smaller villages coming down toward Vancouver.

Nabo

We made it to Fort Nelson with no problems but never outran the rain. The elevation ranged from 2182 at Dawson Creek to 3400 back to 1000 feet at Fort Nelson. One spot here at FN is the lowest elevation point of the Alaska Hwy at the 1000 feet. The drive was pretty amazing but didn't see any wildlife. The temperature on the top of Pink Mountain was 36 degrees and I was expecting snow any minute but it never came. We have stopped at a campground called Triple G. The folks who bought it 7 years ago are working hard to bring it up to par which at this time I would give it a B-/B+. WiFi service is not good so I can not post pictures
1f62d.png
😭

dbbls59

We went up in 2011 and stayed in very few campgrounds. Get a generator because there are places all along the route to pull off and stay overnight. In Alaska there are numerous Forrest service campgrounds as well as pull offs. Only campground we stayed in was Danali, Anchorage, Homer, Fairbanks, Seward, and Valdez. These were places we wanted to stay longer than one night. Never stayed in one in Canada except in Jasper. Many of the campgrounds were basic with just water and dump stations. It was the trip of a lifetime. I would love to go again but the wife doesn't want too.

Nabo

Today, being Monday June 12th, is our 24th day out - AND it's a beautiful sunny day - YEAH. Fort Nelson is a small town but has a good visitor center and the local historical museum started by Marl Brown is going strong. I know many have already stopped by this museum but for those who are traveling the AlCan Hwy and haven't, it's a must stop. This man has spent his life collecting items that was used building the highway. Marl is still alive and both Nathan & I talked with him today. Tomorrow we travel up to Toad River which isn't too far up the road for an overnight er then on to Watson Lake. As for the campground here (Triple G), the restaurant is very good, site average but advertising having wifi just ain't so.
IMG_3151.jpg IMG_3148.jpg IMG_3101.jpg IMG_3141.jpg IMG_3138.jpg IMG_3118.jpg IMG_3115.jpg IMG_3142.jpg
The last picture is of the generator that was used to power the community of FT Nelson during the building of the AlCan Hwy.
IMG_3144.jpg IMG_3145.jpg This is Marl Brown, the founder of the museum. He wanted to save history and the importance of the AlCan Hwy. Nathan helped him get his ladder set up so he could work on the museum sign. Amazing individual.