Near Explosion of Water Tank!

Boozecamp

Yesterday, I decided to do what some suggested. For water availability during freeze out emergencies, I filled the fresh water tank. I've never put water in the fresh water tank because we've always had city water. So I turned the dail on the water control to "fill tank". Everything was working fine, could hear the water running. Tank was filling. Thinking it might take several minutes to fill it, I started looking for the over-flow port. Found two, at least I thought they were over-flow vents, cause they were near the rear, one on each side of the unit, near the tank. Next thing I know, my wife comes outside in a panic........the living room floor is raising up like a pillow "noticablly". So I quickly shut off the water. Look underneath and WOW!!! the tank had expanded well beyond full, and had pushed the spare tire rack down (bent the angle iron) and the living room floor was pushed up at leat 3-4", including the kitchen Island on one end. The tank didn't explode, but did turn into a big ball. I started draining the tank. The floor settled back down to level, but it did some permanent damage underneath to the spare tire rack and frame. Question, what could have caused this? shouldn't there be an overflow vent on this tank? if so, where is it? does it have a valve that has to be opened? I'm soooooo lucky the tank held the pressure. I hope nothing else is damaged.

EPaulikonis

I have a Landmark and there is an open drain line on off-curb-side of coach near the axles. I found it when I first filled the fresh-water tank to capacity and extra water/air was bleeding out and running under the coach toward the front steps. I've also seen other threads for different Heartland trailers that had the overflow outlet near the axles and a few folks said they have overflow lines on both sides of coach.

Bet the line was crimped between solid pieces of material that didn't allow water to pass freely. I had a similar issue that cut water to the refrigerator. Spent a few hours identifying the line and valves running to the refrigerator, opened everything up, but still no water. Technician at the shop said the line was pinched between a holding tank and the steel frame, so no water was passing through the line. Hope this helps.

danemayer

Check near your steps for a pex line with 90 degree fitting. That's often where the overflow line terminates. From your description, the overflow line must be pinched or blocked.

Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. I'd ask them to log this in as a warranty incident in case something was weakened and fails in the future.

rxbristol

Even with the current issue, you are soooooo lucky the tank did not burst. Let us know what is crimped or not connected.

RAHanock

Please see post #9 in the entry below for other ideas as to the problem... The tank expansion could very well be due to the trapped air while filling.

//heartlandowners.org/showt...pensive-Lesson

danemayer

Please see post #9 in the entry below for other ideas as to the problem... The tank expansion could very well be due to the trapped air while filling.

//heartlandowners.org/showt...pensive-Lesson

I believe the OP's 2014 Bighorn has the 4 way Anderson Valve, not the gravity fill system. Venting and overflow are completely different.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My air escapes right next to the fill port when filling the fresh tank. You can feel the air escaping the tank as you fill. With this system, it is almost impossible to pressurize the tank.

I didn't realize with addition of the valve near the frame, they had completely done away with the traditional breather port that has been on every rig I've owned. Trace