need feedback on 6 pt leveling systems (good, bad and the ugly)

Sniper

We had never given an auto leveling system a thought one way or the other until on our trip out west last year and the folks besides us pulled in and was totally set in in the amount of time it took us just to get level! So after much research over the winter we decided on the Big Foot 6 pt system for our Cyclone 3010. We just got it back yesterday, and will be putting it to the full test here within the next week.

danemayer

We had never given an auto leveling system a thought one way or the other until on our trip out west last year and the folks besides us pulled in and was totally set in in the amount of time it took us just to get level! So after much research over the winter we decided on the Big Foot 6 pt system for our Cyclone 3010. We just got it back yesterday, and will be putting it to the full test here within the next week.

Hi sniper,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. I have no doubt you'll greatly enjoy having a leveling system.

Sniper

Thanks Dan. My much better half has been on the forum for a while now figure it was time for me to join in as well. We sure hope the system works as advertised, it sure cost a buck or two. LOL

kowAlski631

We love ours. I've taken over the leveling chores from Paul since it requires SOOOO much work (LOL). He can focus his energies on the stinky slinky set-up.

dlw930

I haven't heard anyone that has the Levelup system say anything but good about. We just traded for a '13 Landmark with Levelup but have only used it at the house after we picked it up. It seems to do as advertised. When they say "move the tow vehicle a safe distance away from the coach after unhitching and before pushing the auto level button", they mean what they say! It looks a little strange the first time I saw it go through the leveling gyrations. If anyone is inside the coach, they might get seasick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hogladyrider

We just picked up our 2016 Big Horn 3875FB with the auto leveling and we love it!

One question though, we have now experienced FIVE feet down and ONE middle foot not on the ground yet the display is reading "level"......how do we get the one foot down onto the ground, it is only about one inch off the concrete pad and it just does not seem like this is how the system was meant to work.

Thanks in advance.
Susan

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We just picked up our 2016 Big Horn 3875FB with the auto leveling and we love it!

One question though, we have now experienced FIVE feet down and ONE middle foot not on the ground yet the display is reading "level"......how do we get the one foot down onto the ground, it is only about one inch off the concrete pad and it just does not seem like this is how the system was meant to work.

Thanks in advance.
Susan

If the leg is at maximum extension if may not touch the ground. If that is the case then you will need to put a block or board under the leg so it touches the ground. We love our level up system.

happykraut

Thanks in advance.
Susan
During the leveling process the unit should have timed out and shown some kind of an error code. Jimgratz is correct about blocking that leg up.

Hogladyrider

Thanks everyone for the responses, we got it fixed thanks to you!

We love our level up system, however the first few times I heard that popping sound when in the RV I thought we were going to collapse, the brain is a powerful organ.

We followed the recommendations here on the forum and added the CAT fluid and viola no more popping!

You gotta love this forum!

Thanks again
Susan

TxCowboy

Saw this 6 point system on a Cyclone last weekend. The salesman says that it can be used to lift the entire RV off the ground to pull maintenance on the wheels and axles and to maximize stability when you're camped.

Have any of you done that?

danemayer

Saw this 6 point system on a Cyclone last weekend. The salesman says that it can be used to lift the entire RV off the ground to pull maintenance on the wheels and axles and to maximize stability when you're camped.

Although it's possible to lift the entire RV (all wheels) off the ground at the same time, Lippert warns against it, probably for safety reasons.

It's very common, however, to lift one side at a time for maintenance. A few years ago, Lippert engineers touted it as a feature.

You'll want to be hitched to the truck to provide safety support and stability, and if working underneath, you'll want appropriate jack stands in place.

I've used the 4 point system on our Landmark to lift wheels off the ground many times to change a flat, to change wheels, and for bearing maintenance.

avvidclif

Who me??? This was on the way back together.

Attachments

• IMG_0513 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0513 (Medium).JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 73

LDMC

I'm in the market for a BigHorn and have noticed that the controls for the Level Up are on the curbside and not the street side.

Has anyone moved their control pad or had issues with it on the side it is mounted on?

Oregon_Camper

I'm in the market for a BigHorn and have noticed that the controls for the Level Up are on the curbside and not the street side.

Has anyone moved their control pad or had issues with it on the side it is mounted on?

Mine (Bighorn 3160EL) is on the passenger side and actually like it there. That is the side of the trailer we camp on, so why not have the controls there. BTW... you should also get a remote control for the Bighorn, which allows you to deploy the jacks (and slides...awnings...etc). I like using the remote to slide out the slideouts while standing next to them...this way I can watch if anything is in the way or going wrong.

farside291

In my opinion, Just because you can doesn't always mean you should! I have also been told you can use it to lift the wheels for flat change, but to put all 4 down in the rear. We love ours and have had no problems other than the popping, my DW also never seems happy without an occasional tweak of the auto level settings. Me, as long as I don't roll out of the bed I'm happy!

iowaone

I have done
One side or other a number of times and many times the auto level does that. I have done both sides at once only a couple of times. Never any problems. I want to be hooked to truck or on fairly level ground front to back to take them all off. Wheel chocks are tricky want the wait is off the wheels. Being able to change tires etc. is one of the systems great features

porthole

Retired

To "maximize stability" keep some weight on the tires if possible, even if it means leveling manually.

As to lifting for tire work, mine was off the ground for tires within a couple hours of having the LevelUp installed. A bad tire was found while the LevelUp work was done.

At Trailer Tires and wheels "new" shop in Edon Ohio, 8:30 at night - Scott waited for me! First class service.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Old_new_tires_02.jpg
    Old_new_tires_02.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

Miltp920

We had 3 5ers without auto level. We love this feature, and will always have it in the future. The cost for this option seemed to be alot to a novice, but when I told a fellow camper, who installs another brand of leveling system for a living, the price, he said he could not even come close to the price we paid. So, I guess it is not overpriced in the end. DW is not excited about tires being off the ground, we had an uneven lot once. I liked the shade, but we moved into the sun the next trip to this CG. I felt the investment would be good for resale too. Now, I just LOVE pushing the button, and as has been said, "watch it do the dance". Make sure the truck is pulled OUT of the way. I have not replaced the fluid yet as Lippert recommends to stop the popping, but I will before any major trips this year. Lippert did call me to discuss the matter, as I filed a trouble report with them. When I first read about this popping issue, I thought it might turn into a recall, but they say it is an expected condition for a hydraulic system used during big temperature swings. I did make blocks to put under each leg of the 6 pt. I read about the block option on this site. I believe it helps. Heartland mounted my controller about 2.5 feet into the basement on the front wall. this is NOT a very convenient location. I have seen another controller mounted about 1.5 foot in on the same wall on a wedge, so you can read the display easier. I think this may be my next mod. They told me they mounted it that far in so a kid could not reach it. (We do not camp with kids). They must have changed their mind and made it more user friendly on later models. Mine was a very early 2014, built in July 2013. Worth the cost, makes leveling an easy chore. There really is no UGLY, except maybe the popping sound.

donr827

I was at the Tampa RV Super Show around 6 years ago. I stopped by the DRV site and they had one of their trailers with no tires on it being held up by the 6 point system. Inside it was steady. The legal eagles for the company probably put a end to it.
Don

This is an informative thread; thanks for all the insights. I have some questions I haven't yet found answers to:

What happens if you experience system failure -- what is the backup plan? suppose you boondock, and run the batteries down by mistake after disconnecting from the TV, or experience some other failure, i.e hydraulics, electrical, etc.. how do you hitch up? can the jacks be manually adjusted/removed/raised/lowered? I don't mean semi-automatic I mean hand cranked.