Need RV park ideas for Buena Vista, CO

Mrsfish

Has anyone stayed in an rv park there? Any feedback would be appreciated. Also- what's the tow like from Colorado Springs or is there a better route. We need to change our summer travel plans last minute and need some help.

olcoon

Re: Buena vista, Co help please

Back in 2010 we stayed at Arkansas River Rim Campground, just North (I think) of Buena Vista. It wasn't real fancy, but all in all not a bad park. I kind of think they cater to fishermen, as the Arkansas River is just behind the campground, & we could hear it from our campsite. The owners are super people, and will do what they can to make your stay enjoyable. I really don't remember how the tow was, but I don't think it was too bad, we had just gotten the 5th wheel, and still had a gas engine, & really didn't have any problems until we got to Monarch Pass, then that truck was straining! Here is there website.

If you are going to spend some time in the area, and would be interested in river rafting, a friends son is doing his 2nd year as a river guide on the river. If interested, let me know & I'll get the info for you.

danemayer

Re: Buena vista, Co help please

We've stayed at Chalk Creek a bit south of Buena Vista. Nice views. A little pricey.

swiftk77

We stayed in Snowy Peaks a couple years ago and my brother in law has it on their annual summer rotation. Try and stay on the southern side of the park, it has more trees and grass. Also visit the goat dairy north of town for a nice free tour and some free samples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skyguy

Valley RV, or Arrowhead Point. Both on north end of town, Arrowhead a little farther out. Stayed in Valley for a month, and loved it! Best rates. Friendly folks!

Routes - you can take US24 west out of Colo Spgs. It's a steady climb to Divide, and a steady climb ro the top of Wilkerson Pass. Take your time, don't push your engine, enjoy the views. Cross South Park, watch for Pronghorn on the road, another small pass, and you're there.

OR...
If you don't have to go through Colo Spgs... Exit I25 the north end of Walsenburg, fuel up, and take CO69 towards Westcliffe, to Texas Creek, on the Arkansas Rvr. West on 50 to Salida, then north on 285 to Buena Vista. Maybe stay overnight at Grape Creek RV, 1 mile south of Westcliffe.Small park, neat as a pin. Gorgeous views. We just came up 69 this weekend, north of Westcliff is as breathtaking as you'll find in CO!! NO steep passes this route.

Actually, if you watch for CR1a, just north of Hillside, on the way to Texas Creek, you can go to Cotopaxi, instead of Texas Creek. This will shave about 5 miles off, and the road is just as good. PAVED ROADS all the way, I have travelled this with our Bighorn 3670 - it's a nice easy drive!

Last edited: