Need Vs Want in a 5th wheel

TexAndLinda

Here is a definition I found for Need:
In actuality, you only need four things to survive:

A roof over your head​
Enough food and water to maintain your health​
Basic health care and hygiene products​
Clothing (just what you need to remain comfortable and appropriately dressed)​

Everything that goes beyond this – a big house, name-brand clothes, fancy foods and drinks, a new car – is a want.

But here is where I think a little different. What is a want may make my need last longer and return a better sale/trade value.:confused:

So the question is do I get the ice maker(want) and it will make my life easier and have a plus to my sale/trade value making it a "need"?:D

What are some of the items you see as a "need(want)" in a 5th wheel? :cool:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I think you will get a lot of input on this subject matter. I will lend this small bit of input. When it comes to purchasing an RV you really cannot look at it as an investment and expect a lot of (financial) returns. It is an expensive endeavor for those of us that want to experience travel and people and places. A lot of your decision is solely in your court regarding the amount of time you intend to use your RV, the amount of travel you intend to do and whether or not you will be "uprooting" and going fulltime. I hope this helps a little and I fully expect others to weigh in.

Good luck and keep us up to date with your thoughts and findings.

Mark

TexAndLinda

It is an expensive endeavor for those of us that want to experience travel and people and places. A lot of your decision is solely in your court regarding the amount of time you intend to use your RV, the amount of travel you intend to do and whether or not you will be "uprooting" and going fulltime.
Mark

Yes we will be uprooting, and going fulltime. Plus I agree with you it is an expense not an investment. However like an automobile it will depreciate, but to assist in slowing the amount of depreciation is one of the answers I am looking for, which options will help. The other answer is with us not familiar with the camping fulltime/any time, what are the features that most want and why.

Thanks Mark for helping to define this.:)

mrcomer

Since you will be going fulltime I would strongly suggest you invest in a good suspension/braking system. The roads out there are pretty rough and the last thing you want to worry about are your tires and suspension. I would also consider dual-pane windows for the extra insulation and sound deadening. If you can get windows that are tinted to also help keep the inside cool during the summer months. Make sure you have a truck capable of towing your new rig. You'll also want to make sure you have an Aux fuel tank in your truck for those long hauls and peace of mind. Back to the RV.

ParkIt

The question about an ice maker - it does making full time living more comfortable and adds a slight value to your unit. For those of us that don't have a built in, we buy small ice maker units that you have to find room for and don't always work well.

The dual pane windows are a 50/50 decision it seems with owners. Some say it was worth it, some don't. For us it was an added expense we couldn't justify, with a higher end unit sometimes you may need a darker window tint but overall there is only a slight difference in temperature variations with the blinds down and we don't hear any sound outside that is amplified without them. Hopefully someone who has had both can chime in on that one.

A 6 point level system is something we would have paid for if it had been available and they do make a used unit more attractive. There is a lot less hassle and greater absorption of movement in the unit with an actual leveling system vs the standard package of stabilizers.

The first year and a half we didn't have a truck to tow ours with, since we knew we wouldn't be hopping around a lot we found you can hire licensed/bonded/insured tow companies for less that one truck payment. There are plenty of really good ones in Texas so you can decide on a towing rig later if you will be staying in one spot for a long period of time.

That's all I can think of for now, the rest you may come across are modifications we've done after spending some time in our units. They don't always add much to a resale value but do add a lot to living full time.

Hope this helps a bit :)

Eddhuy

I wanted to upgrade my 10 year old F350 to a new F350 as I have plans for some long trips, 8000+ miles, even with bullet proofing the 6.0L PSD I'd still be waiting for it to need repairs. I believe in the long run I will feel more comfortable which to me is a need or I would not do it. I also want to upgrade the fifth wheel to IS, possibly disk brakes, 17.5" wheels and new tires for the same reason.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've been fulltime for eight years, and just bought our "Dream Fulltimer Coach", a Landmark Key Largo...for us the must haves were as follows:

Dual Pane Windows, Dual A/C (no problem, standard on Landmark), fireplace, heat pumps and Yeti package for winter weather, large fridge (residential now available, but we like to boondock so the RV fridge works best for us), fullbody paint (easier to keep up than gelcoat), fantastic fan in bath, washer/dryer, MCD shades (much better than day/night shades), Mor Ryde pinbox, 6-point Level Up, electric cord reel.

After market we added Mor Ryde IS, disc brakes, 17.5 Tires and Rims, Mor Ryde slide tray in cargo bay, Progressive 50 amp EMS, Winegard Travler Sat. Dish (Landmark is pre-wired), and last but not least Blue Streak automatic toilet chemical dispenser...

Been in this unit for almost five months, and I think we pretty much nailed it on "must haves"...at least for us.

FiremanBill

As to the icemaker. We bought our Cyclone off the lot and it had the side by side fridge with the ice maker. I thought at first that I would take it out as I thought it a bit overkill...

1st trip out and I will say this... It is FREAKING AWESOME! resale smeshale... it is worth having hands down.

TexAndLinda

Lots of info here, Thanks still want more. Here is what I have so far, from here and another forum.

• Mor Ryde slide tray in cargo bay
  • Bedroom slide - want to be able to walk around the bed standing up.
  • Residential refrigerator - they are much more energy efficient now, so you can run one from 2 good batteries all day + (If you are connected to shore power you don't have to worry about running down your batteries). Less expensive and generally more trouble-freen than an RV frig.
  • 2400 Watt inverter - to supply AC to the residential frig, and also the tv and computer when we aren't connected to shore power
  • 4 6-volt batteries - to supply our electrical needs while boondocking
  • EMS (Electrical Management System) to provide protection for our electrical equipment against power surges, drops, or low power conditions.
  • 2 Honda 2000 generators - for charging the batteries and when running both in parallel will handle an A/C unit +.
  • 2 A/C units - when we retire and full-time. Then our "house" will be comfortable for the times the temp and humidity are high (yes, this even happens in the northland).
  • Heat pumps in the A/C units - supply heat without burning propane down to about 40 degrees outside temp.
  • 50 amp service
  • Big Foot Hydraulic auto level system - so I don't have to level the rig using boards.
  • Mor Ryde IS Suspension System - smoother ride for the 5er and no axle problems.
  • "H" tires - can carry more weight - less chance of blowout
  • Disc brakes - much better for stopping
  • MCD see thru and privacy window shades - much better than the standard day/night shades, and fewer problems.
  • Electric Fireplace - great for ambience
  • SeeLevel Monitor System for the fresh water and waste tanks - work better than the "standard" system.
  • Stackable washer and dryer - don't have to find a laundromat or worry about what was washed in the last load.
  • External antenna and booster for cell/data signal
  • TV Satellite antenna and receiver
  • Fantastic Fan or MaxAir Vent
  • 3/4 to One Tone dually
  • 17.5 Tires and Rims
    [*]
    ice maker
    [*]
    fullbody paint (easier to keep up than gelcoat)

Please keep your ideas coming, it helps. I am also looking (Googleing) some things up to see what they are.

Kbvols

Looks like you have a great list started....I say get all the "wants" you think you need as long as you have enough cash to meet your needs.....if that makes sence.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Good list...we went with on board 5500 Onan generator...had a portable 3000 Yamaha...too much hassle to use. Don't forget the dual pane windows...they also help with sound deadening!

TexAndLinda

question for the techies out there. I use a massive desktop system for internet tv, security cameras, gaming, it has 200watt power pack, what would be a good power source/generator. Keep in mind we will more then likely get the 18 cubic fridge.

inverter size?

generator size?

have 2 of those computers, would be willing to cut back to one.

mrcomer

Maybe consider a NAS (network attached storage) device to make up the difference. ASUS laptops are top notch units.

TexAndLinda

I have the asus g75sw with 500g hard drive now but video fills up so I use a server. Everything is home made (except laptops).
I am in school getting my ccna cert now. One of the reasons we are not going full time for at least 2 years. Need to get 2 certs and better job first.

mrcomer

Good luck with getting your certifications. I took all the classes, got my A++ and Network cert but did not finish the Microsoft certs.

ParkIt

One is a server for the camera's, I was going to try asus g75vw laptop with a 1TB 5400rpm hard drive. but want 2TB or more.
Network your laptop and accessories into a 8 to 12T external. It took awhile but I was able to dump two 1T externals into that and still have space. You are going to need a strong surge regulator since generator and a 50 amp connection are not stable, it can fry a unit in no time. Have never left them hooked up when not in use and it doesn't wear through on a hard power down/up.

TexAndLinda

Good luck with getting your certifications. I took all the classes, got my A++ and Network cert but did not finish the Microsoft certs.

I have been working in the field of networking for years and have no certs. I don't know a lot as I am finding out with the CCNA class. But I will study the MSCE after I achieve CCNA & CCNP (security & VOIP) All tho I don't see me using it much to get a job as a full time Workamper, but it may help.

Network your laptop and accessories into a 8 to 12T external. It took awhile but I was able to dump two 1T externals into that and still have space. You are going to need a strong surge regulator since generator and a 50 amp connection are not stable, it can fry a unit in no time. Have never left them hooked up when not in use and it doesn't wear through on a hard power down/up.

Thanks for the info, I am looking into the inverter/surge protection and storage amount (NAS).

ParkIt

I've had really good performance with Western Digital for over 15 years, they also have a secondary power-down in case of sudden surge up or down threshold.