Needing a lot of LED light bulbs

teasac69

I am experiencing a lot of HOT light bulbs/fixtures in my FB3875BH. The bulbs in the small domes under the cabinets and closets, the 3 in the kitchen chandelier, 1 in the wall sconce, and the swivel reading lights over the sofa, recliners and bedroom. Some of these temps are really HOT, even starting to disfigure the bulbs, making it a contest to turn off the reading lights without burning your hand. I guess my first question for HL is how much do you have to spend on a trailer before LEDs are standard equipment?

Then the more sensible question is where do you get the LEDs to replace the 921's and 1383's?? At a local RV parts store, it would cost like $1,000 to replace them all. I need at least 6 of each 921's and 6 of the 1383 in soft white LED??? where do you get those?

I really want to replace them before our next road trip so your thoughts on best place/ price / brand, etc. would be helpful.

thanks guys/gals,

Bogie

I changed all of the lights on my coach to LED about 2 years ago. Not because of heat, but to reduce the power draw on the batteries while boondocking. As funds were limited and the cost at most places like Camping World were very high, I started looking on ebay. I found numerous LED suppliers (mainly from China) that were very reasonable. I figured that since nearly all of these are made in China anyway, why not get them direct. I have had good success with most of these. Only one or two that failed. I would suggest you determine the color temperature before you buy. LED's that burn at about 2700 Kelvin are in the same range as an incandescent light bulb. LED's that burn at 5000 Kelvin are more in the bright white range. The first set I bought were 5000 Kelvin and the DW didn't like them so I bought another batch at 2700 Kelvin. I moved the 5000 K lights to other areas like the basement, scare light, etc.

jnbhobe

Look on E-bay or Amazon I replaced mine for a little over $100 for everything. I used a lot of 24 led panel lights with BA15 bases.

Lynn1130

E-bay and when I get a chance I will get the exact vendor. I did all of the lights in the Cyclone, and there are alot of them for about $90 and that was three years ago. The light are still going.

Crumgater

We had to replace ours, because the SWITCH for the living room circuit was over heating and failing. FIRE HAZARD!

Now, with LED's everywhere, the switch is cool, and battery draw is much, much better. These should be standard EVERYWHERE.

I think we bought ours via a seller on Amazon.

teasac69

We had to replace ours, because the SWITCH for the living room circuit was over heating and failing. FIRE HAZARD!

Now, with LED's everywhere, the switch is cool, and battery draw is much, much better. These should be standard EVERYWHERE.

I think we bought ours via a seller on Amazon.

That has been my greatest fear, especially of the reading lights. They get so hot I have to make sure I have a towel or napkin handy to turn them off. I found some of them about half price on Amazon and bought enough to replace all 6 of mine. I found the 921's at M4 and buying enough to replace all mine got the price down to $8 each. if you need really good LED's you owe it yourself to check out this place http://www.m4products.com/

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I bought mine on eBay. Look around because the prices can vary a lot between different vendors, but they all sell the same Chinese LED's.

It's been a while, but I replaced all of the OEM bulbs with LED's for less than $150. If cash is tight, decide which lights you use the most and replace them first. Nothing says you've got to do them all at once.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We also replaced the standard 120V lamps we use with LED bulbs. At home, almost all of our lighting is now LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mbopp

I too used the Ebay vendor in the previous posts. When I replaced the 921 bulbs I used warm white panels. Besides the tape provided I zip tied them to the reflectors to be sure they don't fall off. 2 years so far and no failures.

bsuds

AliExpress.com any LED light you want for the best prices. Did my whole RV for less than $3 a light.

Ks.Kev

I see the ones on Ebay (LED's) my Question is Which ones are the CLOSETS to the original 921 wedge in brightness and color?
I had a SOB RV before My heartland and replaced them with LED's but they had a bluish color to them.... bright and they were OK, but I'm wanting
something that's a little closer to the OEM bulbs in color and brightness.
I bought 2 of the "warm white" (to see if these would be good) and the color is good, but not very bright. I take it that might have to be the trade off
For getting as close to the OEM color!
I think the other choices I have seen are "cool white" - "super white" - "white" - "pure white" - "Xenon white" - "daylight"
AND then there is the choice of how many SMD's to the bulb! Some come with anywhere from 5 SMD to 27 SMD on them!!!!!
SO, What has everyone gone with? Color wise, how many SMD's" AND either the "stick style" or the "disc style" or the one that looks like a circuit board
that has double back tape on the back and wires to plug into the socket?
I can keep on buying till I find the right one but that may take time before i find the right one, SO a little guidance would help me out tremendously!

Thanks All!!!

TxCowboy

Kevin and Donna, my local RV shop now has a display of the various types of LEDs that also shows how many milli-amps each on draws. It is very good for seeing the lighting characteristics of each type of LED.

Maybe your RV shop has a similar display.

Just a thought...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Kevin and Donna, my local RV shop now has a display of the various types of LEDs that also shows how many milli-amps each on draws. It is very good for seeing the lighting characteristics of each type of LED.

Maybe your RV shop has a similar display.

Just a thought...

I think the local Camping World (Longmont, CO) has a display with the different LED bulbs.

I'll be dropping by there in the next week or so and will look to see.

Ks.Kev

I will be checking the local RV place to see what they have, thanks for the suggestions!

Jimsryker

E-bay and when I get a chance I will get the exact vendor. I did all of the lights in the Cyclone, and there are alot of them for about $90 and that was three years ago. The light are still going.

Lynn, you happy with the "color" of the lights? I see lots of comments about "white", "blue" or not enough brightness. I've seen some with more LEDs on the bulb and was wondering if you would change to more power or brightness if you could do it over.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think the local Camping World (Longmont, CO) has a display with the different LED bulbs.

I'll be dropping by there in the next week or so and will look to see.

I doubt that there is a more expensive source of LED lights than Camping World. Just another example of a product which is not RV-specific getting ridiculous mark-ups as soon as the "RV" nomenclature is attached.

teasac69

That has been my greatest fear, especially of the reading lights. They get so hot I have to make sure I have a towel or napkin handy to turn them off. I found some of them about half price on Amazon and bought enough to replace all 6 of mine. I found the 921's at M4 and buying enough to replace all mine got the price down to $8 each. if you need really good LED's you owe it yourself to check out this place http://www.m4products.com/

Just installed all those LEDs I found and wow do they make a difference. Great light, no heat, reduced power use, hopefully they will last a long time. Nice touch to finish off this great rig. Guess I would still ask Heartland why in a unit of this class why they don't make the LEDs standard?? Cost yes, but at the time of mfg looks like they could be added for under $200 and really top off a great rig. I'm glad I did and now all the lights but the one under the 5th wheel overhang is LED. I'm looking for that bulb.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I doubt that there is a more expensive source of LED lights than Camping World. Just another example of a product which is not RV-specific getting ridiculous mark-ups as soon as the "RV" nomenclature is attached.

At least CW carries LED Bulbs. Many places still don't even carry them.

Another thing to consider if you're upgrading to LED is maybe purchasing entire LED Light fixtures. Some may be designed to provide light better than trying to upgrade a non-LED fixture to use LED bulbs.