New Axle needed - urgently

priorguy

Re: New Axel needed - urgently

Maybe if you explain your complete situation the distant servicers might do on-site service for you, or if they have the axle deliver it to the local RV servicer you are working.

Plead your case!! I like to think we Americans are caring and helpful, especially to people from other countries exploring our beautiful country.

Are there any East Texan HOTEL members, or Shreveport area HOTEL members who can help this couple out??? Maybe pick up and deliver an axle?

Anyone able to lend or loan an axel while waiting for the new one? Donate your used one in exchange for a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh... we have been pleading! I think we may be on our way (not literally) but by 3:30pm today we did have some answers. (It's been a long day for sure). A fellow in Shreveport, TX will be able to make an axle for us. We can give him the 'okay' once we hear from the adjusters in Texas. Our insurance company in Canada has started a claim and we are now waiting on the adjusters. Once they say 'do it'... it will be done (made) in 2 or so days.

BTW, Bill... your country is simply... AMAZING. The reason we are OUT this far (we normally winter in Florida), but we left Florida the end of February and travelled west. We have seen things that I never thought we'd ever see and it has been a breathtaking trip thus far (many bumps in the road), but it's been a wonderful trip. Click on our blog link and you can see some of the amazing places we've visited... New Orleans, Galveston, Las Cruces, New Mexico (love that city), San Antonio, TX, the Grand Canyon, Sedona, AR and on and on. It's been breathtaking and my #1 bucket list destination has been fulfilled (The Grand Canyon).

On a positive note... while we are waiting I will have time to do alot of writing and catching up on our blog.

Thanks again for your note and thanks to everyone thus far who have given us a hand. Kudos!

Maybe if you explain your complete situation the distant servicers might do on-site service for you, or if they have the axle deliver it to the local RV servicer you are working.

Plead your case!! I like to think we Americans are caring and helpful, especially to people from other countries exploring our beautiful country.

Are there any East Texan HOTEL members, or Shreveport area HOTEL members who can help this couple out??? Maybe pick up and deliver an axle?

porthole

Retired

Just a thought, probably too late, but MOR/ryde in Elkhart Indiana probably has your axle sitting in the scrap pile behind their shop.
They do suspension upgrades and probably remove 20-40 axles a week. And they have shipping capabilities.

priorguy

Found lots on eBay. This is just 1 pile of them from 1 seller. These are 7K Dexter axels.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151012476896?nav=SEARCH

6ebyrate.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willym

Yes, Jon, we'll see you in Niagara as well.

We file form 8840 every year, because if you stay on average 4 months a year then you need to show a closer connection to Canada to avoid US tax. They may change the 183 days to something longer in future, but there will likely be stings attached, like the purchase of US property above a certain value.

Thanks for the information Bill. We'll definitely have to start filing the 8840 form too. I understand there changes coming in that regard.

Are you folks going to the Ontario Capter rally in Niagara Falls? If so we'll see you there.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

You might look for a Texan Trailer dealer. I know there is a big one along I30 near Mt Vernon Tx. They stock and sell Dexter axles. You can find them online.

JonV

Things are starting to happen... They're starting to progress. They're starting on making us an axle today! Many thanks to Greg at Truck Pro and to Jimmy at Tiger Axle, both of Shreveport, LA for making things happen. Thanks too, to Jessy at Kodiak Trailer for getting us a replacement brake rotor in our hands in less than 24 hours.

Willym

Good news, hopefully it will all come together soon. You can be back across the border in another 3 days then. Perhaps when you have time, you can let us know how the axle got damaged.

JonV

The insurance adjuster says there was a problem with the brake caliper that caused the rotor to overheat and destroy the oil seal and loose all of the oil. With the oil gone the bearings wouldn't last too long.

Good news, hopefully it will all come together soon. You can be back across the border in another 3 days then. Perhaps when you have time, you can let us know how the axle got damaged.

Willym

So you have disc brakes and oil bath bearings, or is the adjuster's wording incorrect? I assumed that you have drum brakes. Also how did the shaft get bent?

The insurance adjuster says there was a problem with the brake caliper that caused the rotor to overheat and destroy the oil seal and loose all of the oil. With the oil gone the bearings wouldn't last too long.

wdk450

So you have disc brakes and oil bath bearings, or is the adjuster's wording incorrect? I assumed that you have drum brakes. Also how did the shaft get bent?

John D: I don't believe Heartland put the disk brakes on this rig, most likely it is a MorRyde add-on, so there is no Heartland warranty involvement.

Willym: I have this disk brake upgrade installed by MorRyde. They use a Kodiak brand hub and disk assembly that indeed has an oil bearing type hub. BUT, MorRyde technicians seemed to prefer to pack the bearings with grease (acceptable, I am told).

VidlerRVTravels: Were you given an extra bottle of bearing oil when your disk brakes were installed? Otherwise, most likely your bearings were packed with grease. You may want to phone MorRyde about this.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
So, now I understand what happened. As to HL having anything to with this failure....not happening.

I am a big confused on what the bearings are lubed with for the disc brake upgrade. Are they a greased or an oil bath setup? If they are strickly a greased bearing, then they have a normal metal grease cap. If they are oil bath, then they should have a clear plastic dust cap with a removable plug in the center. This way you can see the level of oil and add as needed. BTW, unless things have changed, they use 90wt. gear oil.

As to the parts used for the up grade. They are normally a caliper and rotor from a lite truck or car design. For an example, on my 58 Chebby..the fronts were late 70's to early 80's GM midsize car rotors and calipers. The rears were from a 9" ford rearend from a midsize 70's Lincoln with the 5 lug GM bolt pattern. The only thing the I bought was the brackets, everything else came from NAPA. A whole kit was $600, but only cost me $300 buying the stuff myself.

The reason I know this the disc brake up grade on our coaches is....I talked to dealer in Quartzite this year and he stated that they only design the brackets and use calipers and rotors from either Ford or GM with the correct bolt patterns for our trailer axles. He also stated that they would sell just the brackets and tell me what rotors, calipers, and bearings to use. Napa has plenty of these parts including steel and rubber brake lines. I bet the cost of installing Disc brakes would 1/2 of what a whole kit would cost from a dealer.

wdk450

Bob:
Again, I say that although an oil-type hub with the oil cup and cap is used for the disk brake upgrade kit, MorRyde chooses to pack the bearings with GREASE. I learned this when consulting with an independent trailer manufacturer/repairer with 30 years experience here in Sacramento. I didn't know at the time I had oil-type hubs. I pointedly asked him which is better for me - oil in the bearings/hubs or grease? He said that he has seen too many oil hubs leak unknown to the driver, and the bearings seize up due to lack of oil. He said it was perfectly fine to pack the bearings with grease in an oil-type hub.

So far I have been back from Indiana to Northern California, down to Phoenix and back on those hubs greased that way. I think I talked to MorRyde when I first discovered this, and they re-assured me that grease was fine in an oil-type hub. I would think that most of the people out there with the disk brake upgrade by MorRyde are riding on greased bearings in oil-type hubs.

I would wonder if the original poster had oil in the hub, and the oil leaked out, seizing the bearings, as my local trailer repairer talked about.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bill, I understand what you are saying. I was asking what Mor/Ryde was using for dust covers. It would not be a good idea to use grease and oil together. I have never checked into it but I wonder if the bearings are different for oil bath and greased bearings.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have grease on my bearings with the disk brakes.
The only thing that will be different for the oil bath is the seal and dust cap. Bearings are the same.
As Bill mentioned I also wonder if the oil leaked out.
Mobile Suites has the oil bath. The last time I looked at a couple of them every one had at least one seal leaking.
I'll stick with grease.

Peace
Dave

kkamshop

Semi trailers use to have oil bath bearings. When they set for months at a time the top of the bearing dries out and rust. With grease the bearing tends not to rust when parked.

porthole

Retired
Of course thats what that means . . .

Thats my experience with Heartland warranty coverage, anyways.

Has nothing to do with Heartland. I was referring to his insurance coverage, since it sounds like he put in a claim for damage.