New Big Horn 3010RE Owner

BigGuy82

New to the forum and new to 5th wheeling (had a trailer and a class A prior). Purchased a new Big Horn 3010RE and love it, but sadly, the new 2017 Ford F250 won't be here for another 8 weeks. Oh well - looks like I'll be camping in my driveway!

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Congratulations on your new "condo on wheels" and welcome to the forum and club. Hopefully your truck will be in pretty soon. Check out upcoming rally and go have fun. Enjoy and travel safely.

Mrsfish

Congrats on your choice of the 3010re. We are on our 4th season with ours and couldn't be happier with the model. We pull ours with a 350srw 2013 and we are barely within weight limits and I have to admit there are times (windy) that I wish we had a dually because of the profile. Just letting you know from a first person experience.

pegmikef

You may want to change it to an F-350, just sayin

X4 on a 350. I have the same model and when I ran the numbers when I ordered it the F350 DRW was the only one that had a little weight to spare (for stuff like aux fuel tank). When I had my rig weighed at Goshen last year I was right on weight wise vs. carrying capacity. I had to trade my F250 to get the 350, but I feel more comfortable with it (29,000 towing miles).

GOTTOYS

I agree on the F-350 also. Price is about the same. Mileage is the same. Ride is the same. The only thing different is the ability to carry more pin weight..You won't be sorry..

Garypowell

I did not pay much attention when I moved from a 3055 to our current 3010. Love the 3010 and you will too.

After 2 years of pulling it with our 2008 Chevy 2500 we had to put about $6,000 into the rear end and springs. I knew the 3010 is pin heavy but thought I could get by......obviously did not.

Never had a stability problem and was very happy with the power and drivability but the pin weight did us in.

we planned on traveling 10 more years and the 2500 would never make it that long anyway so traded up to 3500. drives better and no more worries about the load.

Since the truck is still on the way I would assume a dealership would be willing to work with you to solve this problem.

BigGuy82

New to the forum and new to 5th wheeling (had a trailer and a class A prior). Purchased a new Big Horn 3010RE and love it, but sadly, the new 2017 Ford F250 won't be here for another 8 weeks. Oh well - looks like I'll be camping in my driveway!

Just an update after all of the great feedback. My first inclination was to go with a 350 dually diesel. However, this truck is also my primary vehicle and therefore dual wheels are out - don't want the hastle of parking, driving around town, etc. I had a dually in the past so I know whereof I speak. Regarding the diesel, I don't want to pay 9 grand more for a higher maintenance, higher service cost engine. Gas with 4.10 is the only way I've want to go.

I compared 5th wheel towing specs with a 6.2L, 4.10 rear on a 250 and 350 with a Super Cab. The 250 max is 15,300 and the 350 is actually lower at 15,200. These are 2017 Ford Super Duty specs.

GVWR is 15,500, so I'm on the edge, but with only two of us, I can control that. I don't disagree that a dually diesel is clearly the "power" choice, but I don't think this is a show stopper. Thanks for all the great input.

GOTTOYS

Just an update after all of the great feedback. My first inclination was to go with a 350 dually diesel. However, this truck is also my primary vehicle and therefore dual wheels are out - don't want the hastle of parking, driving around town, etc. I had a dually in the past so I know whereof I speak. Regarding the diesel, I don't want to pay 9 grand more for a higher maintenance, higher service cost engine. Gas with 4.10 is the only way I've want to go.

I compared 5th wheel towing specs with a 6.2L, 4.10 rear on a 250 and 350 with a Super Cab. The 250 max is 15,300 and the 350 is actually lower at 15,200. These are 2017 Ford Super Duty specs.

GVWR is 15,500, so I'm on the edge, but with only two of us, I can control that. I don't disagree that a dually diesel is clearly the "power" choice, but I don't think this is a show stopper. Thanks for all the great input.
It's not so much about how much it can tow...It's about how much weight it can carry...

BigGuy82

I did not pay much attention when I moved from a 3055 to our current 3010. Love the 3010 and you will too.

After 2 years of pulling it with our 2008 Chevy 2500 we had to put about $6,000 into the rear end and springs. I knew the 3010 is pin heavy but thought I could get by......obviously did not.

Never had a stability problem and was very happy with the power and drivability but the pin weight did us in.

we planned on traveling 10 more years and the 2500 would never make it that long anyway so traded up to 3500. drives better and no more worries about the load.

Since the truck is still on the way I would assume a dealership would be willing to work with you to solve this problem.

Just curious. Apparently you couldn't load balance enough to lighten up on the pin, but did you try adding air suspension?

brianlajoie

I have the same trailer. I have an F350 SRW crew cab. It fits in my garage where a long bed or dually would not. To me this was critical. Rebuilding the house or moving was not an option. Leaving the truck outside is frowned on by the neighborhood and the sun destroys everything over time in Colorado. This spring I put the ultimate Air Lift Bags on the truck. Great move. I have also gone to 19.5 inch wheels and run Toyo tires on them. The OEM tires were showing lots of wear at 30k miles.

Garypowell

Did not specifically mention it but mine is a SRW. Don't like the dually either and get by just fine as I mentioned.

You certainly can help weight problem by not installing washing machine like we did. And you could leave the front compartment empty.

But since we don't travel that way can't tell you how much.

BigGuy82

NOT INSTALL THE WASHING MACHINE !!????!??

I might just as well sign over all of my assets to my wife right now, because she'd get them in the divorce anyway! Everyone knows you can't live without a washing machine that is, of course, run by hubby! :p

Did not specifically mention it but mine is a SRW. Don't like the dually either and get by just fine as I mentioned.

You certainly can help weight problem by not installing washing machine like we did. And you could leave the front compartment empty.

But since we don't travel that way can't tell you how much.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
NOT INSTALL THE WASHING MACHINE !!????!??

I might just as well sign over all of my assets to my wife right now, because she'd get them in the divorce anyway! Everyone knows you can't live without a washing machine that is, of course, run by hubby! :p

Which would be worse . . . ? ? ?

Telling her that?

Or telling her that you need to go buy another new truck . . . ? ? ?

We purchased our 2015 Chevy 2500HD to be over kill for our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner bumper pull trailer, but after having some major problems with the trailer, we decided to cut our losses and trade it in while it was still fairly new.

When we found and decided on the floor plan that we liked (5th-wheel) . . . we then chose our Prowler over the same Sundance and Elkridge floor plan as the Prowler was within the towing specs of our new truck, and the other two were way too heavy.

If you can, you may want to get that truck order switched to an F350 dually before it is too late!

Or switch trailers to match the truck that you have on order . . .

BigGuy82

I examined this under a microscope before purchasing both. While a diesel dually is of course the ultimate tow vehicle, I don't need or want the trouble of a diesel or the inconvenience of a dually. I like parking my truck in the garage during winter, I don't want to plug it into a block heater and I don't like searching for parking spots that are big enough at the mall. Also, diesel is a cost and maintenance headache I don't need. The new 2017 Ford F250 has a beefier box frame, upgraded heavy duty chassis/suspension components, heavier brakes and is still lighter due to the aluminum body. I've added all of the towing upgrades and with a 4.30 rear, it is rated at 15,300 for a fifth wheel, making it suitable for my needs from a ratings standpoint. With the addition of Timbrens or Air Lifts, I don't see any reason why this thing won't tow straight and level without killing itself. I also surveyed some towing professionals and they agreed that my power pick will do the job. The service manager at my RV dealer has been towing RV's (and driving semi's) for 35 years and he said he'd put his family in this rig. I also talked to a "transporter" who, while he did say that a diesel dually was his preferred choice, has towed many rigs with a single wheel gas without problems.

I'm sure I'll have a pang of regret when climbing the Rockies, but then again, I'm retired and in no particular hurry. Regarding keeping the rig in a straight line, I've towed large boats and trailers before using a single without issue and as I mentioned, the new Ford is a far more stable platform than previous models. If I had my druthers, I'd be towing a 40+ ft toy hauler with a Ford F450 full time. Unfortunately, the boss has indicated that i can't have my druthers, so compromise has become the better part of valor. In other words, what I've got here pleases my wife.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
6f3cd7eb2ca14acb1c82e1449497085b.png

I hope you've figured that the loaded pin weight (usually 20% of trailer GVWR) + cargo + passengers + hitch weight will not exceed your payload rating or RAWR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrdelung

Just curious. Apparently you couldn't load balance enough to lighten up on the pin, but did you try adding air suspension?
I have 2011 F250 SD 6.7L with Firestone Air Bags pulling a 2013 3010RE. We just hauled up and down hills from Louisiana to Arizona at 9.2 MPG passing cars uphill at an average of 65-70 MPH.

Your specs:

2017 Ford F-250 Pickup truck

Horsepower:*385 to 440*hp

Curb weight:*5,683 to 6,695*lbs

Payload:*3,305 to 4,267*lbs

BTW. DO NOT put a heavy fifth wheel king pin connection in the bed of your truck. Put in a flip-able gooseneck ball and research Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck Hitch (get aluminum). You save several hundred pounds in your bed. When everybody else poo-poos this idea... just rely on the mathematics of physics and their $10,000,000 guarantee.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx