New Bighorn 3070RL Owners

Dynatrak

Hello all,
We are the proud new owners of a 2013 Bighorn 3070RL that we are very please with. I do have a sad story though, on the 2nd day of ownership on the way back home we blew a tire and made a mess of the lower aluminum skirt and fender on the drivers side:mad:. Still need to get that fixed but still loving the coach:D.
Glad to be a part of the Heartland family!!!!
Randy and Susan Abernathy

jimtoo

Hi Randy and Susan,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Check your tires and if they are the TowMax brand, get them off as soon as you can. They are not the best and being on a 2013 close to at least 4 years old. Hopefully your insurance will help out with repairs.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new to you unit.

Jim M

Dynatrak

Hi Jim,

I did have Tow Max tires. I replaced them with Maxxis 8008 ST's 2 days after I got home. Do you have an idea what the cost is to replace the lower sheet metal skirt on the slide?

Randy

pegmikef

Is it sheet metal, or is it that plastic fender deal that is above the wheels that is screwed to the slide. If it is the latter, they are pretty cheap and you can get one by calling Heartland customer service and give them your VIN#.

jimtoo

Do like Mike said, call Heartland Customer Service, 574-262-8030 or 877-262-8032, have your VIN when you call, you might have some pictures ready to send also. It will help make sure of the parts you want.

Also if your a member of the Heartland Owners Club you will get a discount on parts.

Jim M

jbeletti

Randy - welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your blow out. The sheet metal is referred to at Heartland as J-Wrap. It's not very expensive but... It comes in 10 foot lengths and has to be crated and motor freighted. As such, shipping will be several times more than the cost of the J-Wrap.

That said, some dealers do stock this stuff and it's not super-hard to replace if you're handy. Use the Dealer Locator on www.heartlandrvs.com to find the dealers nearest you and check with their service departments. You may need a piece of replacement vinyl trim (insert) too. That piece covers the screws at the belt line where the J-Wrap meets the side wall.

Dynatrak

I contacted Heartland and have the price for the plastic fender and sheet metal skirt. I'm now trying to decide if I want to replace the metal skirt myself or have the dealership do it. It seems like a pretty big job. I was wondering if anyone had that repair done that could give an idea what the dealer would charge. Heartland's price seems pretty good on the parts. Shipping I'm sure will be significant since the skirting is fragile and long.

Randy

Gizzy

We had a Blow Max blowout tear ours up a few years ago. Had it taken care of thru insurance and if I remember correctly it cost somewhere in the $1300-1400 range. (i just paid $250 deductible). I remember that Heartland sent the wrong graphic to put on and that caused a delay in getting it done. We have loved our 3070 for the past 5 yrs/45,000 miles.

I contacted Heartland and have the price for the plastic fender and sheet metal skirt. I'm now trying to decide if I want to replace the metal skirt myself or have the dealership do it. It seems like a pretty big job. I was wondering if anyone had that repair done that could give an idea what the dealer would charge. Heartland's price seems pretty good on the parts. Shipping I'm sure will be significant since the skirting is fragile and long.

Randy

Dynatrak

Thanks for the feedback Gizzy. That's what I needed to help me decide if I want to work on it myself.

Randy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The draw back on replacing the "J" wrap...it does not come made to fit your trailer. It's just a long piece of metal. You have to cut to fit.

Dynatrak

I have a friend that works at an RV dealership. I'm going to see if he can help. If not I'll likely take it to Camping World and have them do it. They are the closest Heartland dealer.
I do really like this coach. Previously we had a Cougar X-lite fifth wheel which was good for the time but we needed something built better for longer stays. The BH 3070RL layout is just right for us.
There is a good bit of corrosion on exterior metals that I'm working on too. It stayed parked on saltwater for over a year and it wasn't kind to the exterior metal.
Randy

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
JMHO, I would find an independent RV shop to do the repair. Unless you know how well CW does repairs and the cost. I personally would stay away from them. Most are not known for quality work and cost.

Westwind

Randy - I second staying away from Camping World - use the computer to find a good recommended Independent RV shop, or even a good body shop, that's what the repair is. We have the same floorplan and snowbird in it 4 months a year and we are very comfortable, even in temps below 40.

Dynatrak

I finally picked up the J-WRAP at the factory last week. Took a factory tour while we were there. Noticed that all Bighorns now come with G rated tires. The tour guide said Heartland monitors this forum and the upgrade was partially done because of feedback from the forum. Good to know they listen to problems we have. Thank you Heartland!