New Brake Assy Question????

navyAZ1

Hi All, well it's time for a brake job on the old Big Horn, and I'm planning on completely removing the old brake assemblys and replacing them with the newer "self-adjusting" type. My question is I found a really good deal on these "Never-A-Just" assemblys at 1/2 the price of what Lippert wants for theirs. I would assume that even though these "Never-A-Just" assemblys are made by Dexter they should bolt right on to the Lippert axles. Has anyone out there done this? I've sent an e-mail to the company selling these asking this question. The company offering these is The Trailer Parts Superstore in Delaware, their online price is $44.99 for each assembly for 6,000 lb axles, and Lippert wants $103.99 for theirs. Any advice y'all might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron:confused:

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I agree with your choice. Completely replace the entire assembly. If it were me I would look up a local trailer place and get an assembly locally so that if you have any problem it would be easy to return if needed. You are also supporting a local small business.

FWIW
BC

GOTTOYS

I replaced my Lippert brake assemblies which came from the factory covered with grease, with new Dexter complete backing plates. Simple bolt on and connect 2 wires. Be sure and follow the instructions from Dexter on burnishing the brakes. Made of world of difference. I can actually lock my brakes up on dirt using the manual control. This was the first time I ever had brakes that worked on my trailer like this...Don

navyAZ1

Does anyone know if the bolt pattern for the brake backing plate on these 6000 lb axles is 4 or 5. I'm not wanting to pull a wheel and drum to investigate, I thought I could see a bolt pattern from the back side but no luck, unless I just looked at it wrong?

Thanks, Ron

navyAZ1

Does anyone know if the bolt pattern for the brake backing plate on these 6000 lb axles is 4 or 5. I'm not wanting to pull a wheel and drum to investigate, I thought I could see a bolt pattern from the back side but no luck, unless I just looked at it wrong?

Thanks, Ron

As the old girl on SNL used to say "NEVER MIND"! I went and looked again it was very obvious when you look in the right place, they are 5 bolt backing plates.

gschaaf

Ron I don't know if you are getting the brake assembly from trailer super store just to let ya know they are great to deal with. I just received mine today they look real good and packaged good also. I was never satisfied with mine since I got the trailer. My brakes were also loaded from grease leaking out. Good luck see ya on the road.

navyAZ1

Received the new brake assembleys Monday, what a deal $45 per wheel. Tried to find a local place to purchase, but none available at this price. Now all I have to do is wait for the weather to warm up to "Git-R-Done". I am sooooo ready for spring, we live in the south it's suppose to be warm, come on Mother Nature lets get on schedule!!!!!

navyAZ1

Ron I don't know if you are getting the brake assembly from trailer super store just to let ya know they are great to deal with. I just received mine today they look real good and packaged good also. I was never satisfied with mine since I got the trailer. My brakes were also loaded from grease leaking out. Good luck see ya on the road.

Yep, that's where I bought them, great price, great customer service, their sales guy was very helpful.

Ron

wdk450

AZ1:
Here's another brake improvement job you might want to do in conjunction with your backing plate brake job.
Have you given a thought to effectively doubling the brake wiring size by adding a 2nd set of chassis brake wires in parallel with the factory installed ones? The Dexter site cites insufficient wire size as the primary cause of poor braking performance on trailers.