7K Back Plates

JMullins3

I have a 2015 Heartland Cyclone with 7K axles. I have ordered new complete bake plates (Never Adjust) about 2-3 years ago. For some reason: 1) they do not self adjust and 2) they don't last. I have tried Generic and OEM Dexter. I have put these on the left and right side and it appears that the rear liners totally wear out and the front liners hardly have any ware at all.. Question: am I doing something wrong when I install them or do they really only last a couple of years. Oh, Since I installed my last set of back plates, I might have 2000 miles on them.. Thank you for your response.. Jay

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought here as I've never installed never adjust brakes.
Are those dependant on left side right side orientation?
Could be they are on the wrong side and always trying to adjust and wearing prematurely.
Did you manually adjust them when you first installed them?
Just throwing out some thoughts here.

Peace
Dave

Flick

I have a 2015 Heartland Cyclone with 7K axles. I have ordered new complete bake plates (Never Adjust) about 2-3 years ago. For some reason: 1) they do not self adjust and 2) they don't last. I have tried Generic and OEM Dexter. I have put these on the left and right side and it appears that the rear liners totally wear out and the front liners hardly have any ware at all.. Question: am I doing something wrong when I install them or do they really only last a couple of years. Oh, Since I installed my last set of back plates, I might have 2000 miles on them.. Thank you for your response.. Jay

I have the same setup on my Cyclone. Ours came oem with the Nev-R-Adjust brakes and after 10000 miles are still functional. I had the wheels off when I repacked the bearings a month ago and they were still ok. As you have probably noticed, the linings when new are in my opinion thin to begin with, only about a 1/4”, so any abnormal wear will grind them down fast.
The brake sets are side specific but I think you would have noticed if they were wrong.
In my opinion, the main concern, as previously noted, is to be sure you manually adjust them tight and then back off till the wheel spins freely with only a slight lining noise. Applying brake pressure and then rechecking and tightening also helps to seat linings. You may be able to access the adjustment from the inside side of the backer plate. It’s more difficult than on an automotive brake but helps if you have the flat tool that’s curved that is specific for that purpose. Sometimes you have to adjust, reinstall drum and then readjust again. Difficult when the drum is worn a bit.
And off course, check for any binding that could hinder movement of both front and rear shoes. Try to get a picture perhaps online to compare your job before reinstalling the drum. To late in your case, but it’s advisable to always leave one wheel untouched so you can refer back to it. Good luck.

JMullins3

I have the same setup on my Cyclone. Ours came oem with the Nev-R-Adjust brakes and after 10000 miles are still functional. I had the wheels off when I repacked the bearings a month ago and they were still ok. As you have probably noticed, the linings when new are in my opinion thin to begin with, only about a 1/4”, so any abnormal wear will grind them down fast.
The brake sets are side specific but I think you would have noticed if they were wrong.
In my opinion, the main concern, as previously noted, is to be sure you manually adjust them tight and then back off till the wheel spins freely with only a slight lining noise. Applying brake pressure and then rechecking and tightening also helps to seat linings. You may be able to access the adjustment from the inside side of the backer plate. It’s more difficult than on an automotive brake but helps if you have the flat tool that’s curved that is specific for that purpose. Sometimes you have to adjust, reinstall drum and then readjust again. Difficult when the drum is worn a bit.
And off course, check for any binding that could hinder movement of both front and rear shoes. Try to get a picture perhaps online to compare your job before reinstalling the drum. To late in your case, but it’s advisable to always leave one wheel untouched so you can refer back to it. Good luck.

Thank You for the feedback.. Yep, they are installed on the correct side. I \'ll just have to take a look when we back from our Oregon trip.. Jay

JMullins3

Just a thought here as I've never installed never adjust brakes.
Are those dependant on left side right side orientation?
Could be they are on the wrong side and always trying to adjust and wearing prematurely.
Did you manually adjust them when you first installed them?
Just throwing out some thoughts here.

Peace
Dave

Thank You for the feedback. Yep, they are installed on the correct side. I take a look when I get back from Oregon. ~750 Mi. Round trip..