New Computer

jimtoo

Have any of you tried the HP Quick Start for windows 8? I have it on mine and it works good. And it works on other brands beside HP also. Gives you almost the same way to look for and open all your other programs.

Jim M

VKTalley

Unless - you were a PC user from the beginning.
14 months so far with my Macbook and some things are still a challenge.

I am a former PC user who loves her MacBook! Yes, there is a definite learning curve when switching systems but I will not go back to PC.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I am a former PC user who loves her MacBook! Yes, there is a definite learning curve when switching systems but I will not go back to PC.

Same here.
I was a die hard Windows user from Windows 3.1.

I switched to a MacBook in '08ish and shortly after started slowly switching every computer in the house to a Mac.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I hate the way Windows 8 (8.1 etc) designers assume everyone has a touchscreen for the computer. What was the matter with the way Windows 7 interface is. I know you can still have your desktop for Windows 8 but sometimes it is a PITA to try and find programs in Windows 8. Hopefully the software engineers will remember there are millions out there that don't have touchscreens on their computer and will make the touchscreen optional for Windows 10. BTW what happened to Windows 9?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
BTW I have always liked the Macs. I cut my computer teeth with the Commodore Amiga 500. They had the gui even before Apple did. You could use a 20 meg HD and still run all of the software you needed. Although you did have alot of 5 inch floopies. I still have a Commodore Amiga 500, monitor, 20 meg external HD and tons of software in my storage barn. I used to do industrial videos and the Commodore Amiga 2000 was great for adding graphics and video editing. Don't forget the movie Robocop used the Commodore Amiga 2000 for much of the graphics and special effects. The store MICROSOFT (if I remember right) was where some of it was done. I used to shop there for all of my Amiga stuff. Any other Amiga philes out there? (sorry don't mean to hijack this thread).

Oregon_Camper

Or you can simply have Windows 8.1 boot directly to the "desktop" and never go the "Metro" interface. That is works for me.

Oh...my wife has two monitors on her PC and I have it running "desktop" on one screen and "Metro" on the other...works well. :)

olcoon

I switched to Mac a few years ago because it seemed like every few years the PC would wind up failing & I'd have to buy a new one. Got tired of it. I tried Acer, Gateway, & a Dell laptop, and wasn't happy with them after they started to go crazy. Probably could have gotten them fixed, but figured it would be cheaper in the long run to go with a new one. The only thing I don't like about Mac is trying to find software for it.

porthole

Retired

Some things just don't cut it.

Win versions of Outlook, Word and Excel have not competition in the Mac world. And I really dislike how I can't keep "finder" sorted my way.

Last edited: