New F-350 --- 450 miles and getting average 20 mpg

Oregon_Camper

As some of you know I flew from Oregon to Garland Texas to buy my new F-350. Saved just over $3k and got Navigation, sunroof and FX package.

I was questioning if I wanted the 3.73 or 4.30 axle and in the end decided on the 3.73. With 600 miles done (picture was taken during the drive) I can report some impressive MPG. At one point it was 20.5 MPG and then 19.5. Took the picture at ~450 into the trip (did just over 600 yesterday) to show the average 20 MPG I am getting!!!

I was hoping for 15 MPG, so I am very happy with the my decision to go 3.73. I had 3.73 on my 2008 F-350, so I know I'll have no problems climbing up/over the mountain range here in Oregon....which is no small effort.

2015-09-03 19.08.36.jpg

Bones

As some of you know I flew from Oregon to Garland Texas to buy my new F-350. Saved just over $3k and got Navigation, sunroof and FX package.

I was questioning if I wanted the 3.73 or 4.30 axle and in the end decided on the 3.73. With 600 miles done (picture was taken during the drive) I can report some impressive MPG. At one point it was 20.5 MPG and then 19.5. Took the picture at ~450 into the trip (did just over 600 yesterday) to show the average 20 MPG I am getting!!!

I was hoping for 15 MPG, so I am very happy with the my decision to go 3.73. I had 3.73 on my 2008 F-350, so I know I'll have no problems climbing up/over the mountain range here in Oregon....which is no small effort.

View attachment 39827

Those are some good numbers!!!!

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader

View attachment 39827

Great mileage. The only time I get 20 miles to the gallon is when I am driving down hill. The best average MPG I have ever gotten with my Ram is 14 MPG and I have 3.42 rear end.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
What was your speed to average the 20 mpg? Best I can get is 15-16 while driving 70. This is not towing btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave10a

My 2012 F350 with 3:52 rear end gets the similar results. I have gotten as high as 22.5 and low of 18 not pulling on a tank fuel. I think the Ctane rating of the fuel makes the largest difference. The best I have gotten is fuel I purchase on the NJ turnpike, Virginia I95, South Carolina, some parts of Florida and California. The worst I have gotten is in the New England states-- especially Connecticut. Also my fuel mileage seems to have improved after 25,000 miles. I had similar better than expected fuel milage experiences on my CAT diesel engine when I owned a motor home. I think all well designed diesel engine get good fuel mileage. BTY California requires a min Ctane of 50 while other states require a min of 40

MTPockets

What was your speed to average the 20 mpg? Best I can get is 15-16 while driving 70. This is not towing btw.

Ditto here... My 2013 with 44,000 miles is lucky to do 16 on highway not towing. I'm getting overall towing about 11. 3.73 gears.

beck-mark

This is great to hear, ive got a F350 on order now but I opted for the 4.30 rear end mostly because of the wide track front end. My 01 with 3.73 gears regularly got between 20 and 22 on interstate at 70 mph not towing.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
My 2012 F350 SRW with 3.55 rear can average (hand figured) 19+ mpg on non-towing trips 1000+ miles with gear in the box under a Leer cap. BUT you have to keep your speed at 65 mph or less otherwise that average goes down in the hopper real fast!!
If I keep up with everyone driving 75 I'll lose 2-3 mpg.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
'06 Ram 3500 5.9 Cummins. 62mph, mostly flat. And yes, I have hand figured it. Trace

Attachments

• 20150822_120701.jpg
    20150822_120701.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

I'm 1500 miles to my trip home....at 18.8 mpg now. Hit some large inclines in Colorado and Wyoming. Sleeping tonight in in Burley Idaho. Only 597 miles tomorrow, then I'll be home.

Anyone want to guess how long I'll be home before my wife asks to "go for a ride"? :)

Bones

I'm 1500 miles to my trip home....at 18.8 mpg now. Hit some large inclines in Colorado and Wyoming. Sleeping tonight in in Burley Idaho. Only 597 miles tomorrow, then I'll be home.

Anyone want to guess how long I'll be home before my wife asks to "go for a ride"? :)
If she really likes trucks 2 minutes. If she doesn't never

avvidclif

Mines different, she would walk out when I pulled up ask for the keys and take herself for a ride. Somewhere in there I might get a Hello or a kiss....

z06

Those are some great numbers some of you are posting. I drive like an old lady and almost never over 65. With 2013 6.7, SRW, 3.31 gears avg about 16.5 and with DRW 3.73 about 14.5. 75 percent HWY. Towing both do same at 11.5.

pegmikef

I was just sitting here thinking I must have a different F350, because I have never seen mileage like that discussed here. . . . and then here comes Andy and a couple of others from the real world. Not towing, I run 65 to 70 and the best I have seen is 16. Around town it is more like 13 - 14.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Me too. My 2012 f350 6.7 with the 3.73 rear end gets 10.5 towing and 16-18 on the hwy not towing. I tow at 65 mph. So if you are getting 22 mpg you had better keep that truck forever.

Restofrank

My truck is a 2015 Super Duty 6.7 and it's equipped with a 4X4 Crew Cab 3.55 axle. The best that I have got pulling our TT is 14.3 on a flat pull. The best that I've seen cruising on the freeway (truck only) is 19.2 the average in city 13.3 These trucks don't like stop and go traffic. For the truck weighing over 7 thousand pounds I am happy.

dbbls59

Me too. My 2012 f350 6.7 with the 3.73 rear end gets 10.5 towing and 16-18 on the hwy not towing. I tow at 65 mph. So if you are getting 22 mpg you had better keep that truck forever.

This is my mileage also. I can see 19 driving 55 without stopping and starting.

JanAndBill

My modified 6.0 with 4.10 rears, and SCT controller set to a mild tow tune, will average 12 mpg overall towing our rig. Not towing, set to street mode, that number will go up to 25 mpg. There's a few other things that contribute to those numbers. A) Always ease into the load. Jackrabbit starts kill fuel mileage. B) I drive without the cruise control, because I don't want it downshifting on hills until I'm ready, and hold my speed to 65. A smart engineer from Cat once told me about the exponential effect of wind resistance between 65 and 70. C) I use Ford PM22A fuel treatment. There are other fuel treatments, but I can buy this by the gallon from a local wholesaler far cheaper than anything else and it works. D) Blow out your air filter, regularly and replace as needed. E) I run about 5# over the manufacturer's recommended air pressure in the tires. F) If you run a controller, and it allows you to do so, go in and set your ACTUAL tire circumference. You can go to the tire manufacturer's web site and find it. Makes a big difference if you PCM has the facts.